ask you guys ar... If I tip THB 20 for an hour full body thai massage, is it considered rude?
Usually how much do you guys tip? Say for dining at restaurant, for most part I will pay with cards and in the charge slip there will be this portion on tips which I will strike off or write zero. Is it rude? I know in SG it is fine cuz I do that all the time but how abt Thailand?
there is no such thing as rude unless you tip them in coins.
personally, i used to tip 20B-50B some 10 years ago. now, 100B is nominal for us. i will, nevertheless, tip 20B if i'm unsatisfy with the service. but thankfully, there hasn't been a need for me to do so.
for "face" factor, it is known among thai people (especially those in the service industry) that Chinese (from PRC, HK, S'pore and Malaysia) and Japanese are the worst tippers. For Japanese, tipping is not their culture. For Chinese ... what can i say ... i think you know best. want cheap, want fresh, want big brexxt and must be easy access.
as much as you may not believe it, Thai ppl love pinoy customers. they are demanding but quite generous in tipping.
Edited:
if you take a look at the "Baht Exchange Rate" and "Budget Airline Promo" threads. those who cried in tears every time there's a 0.01 change to their disadvantages are those who would think 20B tipping is over the top.
when you are on holiday, you can choose to make sure that you and only you are happy (because you paid for it). for us, we very much prefer we and the people around us are happy too. cheers.
