Unable to restart or shutdown PC

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
6,089
Reaction score
1
Heard many complains about not able to shut down and restart after updates. Tried all the suggested solutions but none worked.

Some suggestions, not in order.

Run & scan for malware/virus.

Go to Task Manager to see what process &or services are running in the background, as some process/services may started after certain period of time.
Do a review on all the process & services.

In the Windows Updates do check for any failed updates or errors reported.
Or any updates not in order or may required to undo.

If any recent upgrades of hardware then may have to remove to see if this issue go away or not.
Or any conflict issue with the hardware updates.

Do secure your ownership on Windows 10 prior to upgrade or re-installation.
 

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
TS..

If you want a quick way, reformat and fresh install windows 10 directly. If you want to troubleshoot, i will suggest you start telling us, what is the OS build version .. 1507, 1709 or 1809? Then have you tried to disable fastboot on both bios and windows 10 under power option?

Disabling fast startup doesn't work. My Windows 10 OS version is 1809.
 
Last edited:

Pocoyoz

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
36,148
Reaction score
6,429
Any messages in Event viewer when u shutdown?

Sent from Pocoyo fan club using GAGT
 

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (NAKEDTON) has initiated the power off of computer NAKEDTON on behalf of user Nakedton\Ivan for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:


This is the message when Windows shut down but with everything spinning forever.
 

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
It sounds like a device is holding everything up.


Have you ever gotten a BSOD with the error message POWER_DRIVER_STATE_FAILURE?


Usually is the GPU if this message pops up.

I don't recall having a BSOD.
 

deadguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 13, 2006
Messages
9,267
Reaction score
0
Forgot what I did other than Fast Boot off/on that kinda fix it but still turn off took around 1 min and restart took forever. Before that, I use the power button to switch off :D.

It's OS problem trying to "offload" hardware/software before shutting down.
 

SGJoe86

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2005
Messages
615
Reaction score
0
The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (NAKEDTON) has initiated the power off of computer NAKEDTON on behalf of user Nakedton\Ivan for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:


This is the message when Windows shut down but with everything spinning forever.
It does sounds like a process or driver is holding up the shutdown sequence. Kinda asking the obvious, but have you tried system restore to the point before this happened?

You can try closing apps running in the taskbar first, following by terminating non-essential processes in task manager, then initiate the shutdown/restart and see if it improves.

There is one last thing you can try, but it is extremely high risk and only when you have a sure-fire recovery option on standby. Only try this when you are at your wits end and ready to reformat if things head south.
https://www.maketecheasier.com/check-bad-drivers-windows-driver-verifier/
 

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
It does sounds like a process or driver is holding up the shutdown sequence. Kinda asking the obvious, but have you tried system restore to the point before this happened?

You can try closing apps running in the taskbar first, following by terminating non-essential processes in task manager, then initiate the shutdown/restart and see if it improves.

There is one last thing you can try, but it is extremely high risk and only when you have a sure-fire recovery option on standby. Only try this when you are at your wits end and ready to reformat if things head south.
https://www.maketecheasier.com/check-bad-drivers-windows-driver-verifier/

No, I had never system restore the PC to the previous point. The problem is I do not know which process is holding up the shutdown process. I tried ending all the Adware, Malware, Spyware and Antivirus processes before shutdown. Does not help at all.

Strange thing is that if I use the PC for less than 3 hours, the shutdown and restart go smoothly.
 

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
Try disconnecting yourself from the internet before shutting down. E.g. off wifi or LAN cable.


Runtime Broker is sort of a pinging mechanism used by Windows to keep connections for system services alive, like Windows Update.


Also, have you been able to run Windows Update successfully (i.e. it reaches the message "No new updates available." With the last checked time being the current time?

Doesn't help at all.
 

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
I am finally hit with a BSOD associated with this shutdown/restart problem. What fearful was that the BSOD percentage bar was not even moving. It was stuck at 15%. Anyone knows how to fix it?

On Sat 1/5/2019 8:55:54 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFB70407296A30)
Bugcheck code: 0x44 (0xFFFFB70407296A30, 0x255A, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has tried to requested an IRP be completed that is already complete.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
 

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
how barebones can you go with your setup.


Are you able to do without any extra cards, like VGA cards.


Try an alternate OS (e.g. live USB like porteus, slax or kali live) and see how long it goes without hanging.

I am also seeing your specs now:
Mainboard
ASUS M5A78LM LX V2
Graphics Card
ASUS 460 RX Strix 4GB OC
Memory
Kingston 12GB DDR3

Display
LG 17' Flat Screen Display
Storage
1x Western Digital Black 3.5' HDD 1TB, 1X Western Digital Black 3.5' HDD 1TB

Casing
Armageddon M1Z
PSU
Seasonic G-Series GOLD 750W
Audio
USB Sound Card

OS
Windows 10 Professional Edition 64 Bit

Ones in bold are of interest here.

First try onboard VGA, disconnect all drives except boot drive. Can it hibernate after 2 hours?

It should work. If it doesn't, then it looks like GFX card may be causing a problem.

Otherwise, try just loading with 4GB of RAM. Take some RAM sticks out. What is your RAM config like?

4-2-4-2? (Referring to size)

The VGA card is new. I only use the USB sound card because the onboard audio is no longer working.

I use the old DDR3 RAM sticks.
 

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
I remember reading somewhere that Windows 10 shutdown isn't exactly a shutdown, it's a sort of advanced hibernation mode. I encountered this problem as well where I could not shutdown Windows 10, it will just go to login screen instead.

Try to disable fast startup. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Tried this. Doesn't work. I am not sure if the problem is related to the ATI Radeon Catalyst software. Upon every reboot, I received a notification from the Catalyst program that the settings have been reset to default after an unexpected system failure. It can't be my GPU card as I just bought it a few weeks ago. I experienced the same thing on my other older GPU card as well. I ended the ATI Radeon Catalyst task before shutdown but it does not work.
 
Last edited:

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
Because of of the unresolved shutdown problem, I used the power on/off button to shut down my computer until I was unable to boot into Windows. It prompted an automatic repair which I was forced to disabke as it renders all my usb mouse and keyboard useless. I allowed it to boot into this screen which says:

File:\windows\system32\config\system
Status: 0xc000014c
Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

I am now unable to boot to Windows. I think I might had damaged the boot configuration data when I use the power button to shutdown my computer. Hence, I used my usb drive which I downloaded the Windows 10 installation media into. I tried to rebuild the bcd in command prompt but unable to as it returns with the message that I have 0 Windows Installation on my drive.
Registry backup is also not found.

I tried reset PC option but request was denied. I also tried to do a fresh install of Windows 10 but unable to without booting into Windows. I cannot even boot into safe boot without the same error message. I notice that these problems usually occur in users who upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 which is my case. There was no fix available from the internet in such cases. I am at no wits' end.

Is there a way I can copy the bcd files from the usb boot device unto the drive as my personal data on my current drive is too precious to be erased if I reformat the drive?

I know that this is a complex issue. Any expert opinion is welcomed!
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,072
Reaction score
1,766
You can just buy a cheap 120GB SSD and do a fresh install there.

Should not be messing around with the drive containing your data.
 

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
You can just buy a cheap 120GB SSD and do a fresh install there.

Should not be messing around with the drive containing your data.

Looks like the only option to preserve my files. Users who upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 are obviously been kept in the dark. The only repair function if the drive experiences boot problems is only chkdsk. All other commands are unavailable. It might also actually be the cause of my shutdown problems as drivers from previous OS becomes incompatible after certain Windows update. If I knew it, I wouldn't had upgraded it to Windows 10. A fresh installation of Windows 10 also requires a new key which I must purchase it online. Microsoft did not warn us about future problems for those who upgraded from Windows 7.
 
Last edited:

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
I try to use Windows 7 ISO to repair the Windows 10 bcd to see if it works. I guess it might be because of the upgrade from 7 to 10 that no 10 OS is found.
 

nakedtons

Banned
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
5,219
Reaction score
1,832
Strangely I was able to fix the boot problem with Windows 7 flash drive but unable to do so with Windows 10 flash drive.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top