UOB one card

ericcsn

Senior Member
Joined
May 8, 2024
Messages
1,005
Reaction score
475
NEX.

your transaction was in Jan 2025? very disappointed that if it turns out to be outlet-dependent.
i just went nex lenskart on sat to make one for one. Used ocbc 360 though.

super impressed with them.
price only $570 for 2 pairs - one for me, another for son and his was ready on tuesday.

Cheap because at nanyang he made a pair for more than $1000 just 3 months earlier.
 

iadpotato

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2009
Messages
1,520
Reaction score
249
NEX.

your transaction was in Jan 2025? very disappointed that if it turns out to be outlet-dependent.
Ya, maybe some outlet the bank that implemented the credit card POS machine cock up anyhow whack the MCC code.
 

dngth

Member
Joined
May 9, 2001
Messages
436
Reaction score
35
With the revision of UOB One Account, is this still useful to keep this card? I will prob cancel the card next month
 

maumu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
11,812
Reaction score
2,770
With the revision of UOB One Account, is this still useful to keep this card? I will prob cancel the card next month
I've the same thoughts actually. it's getting painful to have to spend $600 per mth just to collect $60 in three months ($20 per mth). the only perk is that there's additional cashback for shopee and mac's which I frequent...

if I could consolidate my spend on Stand Chart B$ for $1000 a month I could collect around $82 per mth with the 1% BI for card spend.

but in the process the $150k with UOB will no longer be earning any interest - hard to merry go round these days where all the rates are dropping.
 

ericcsn

Senior Member
Joined
May 8, 2024
Messages
1,005
Reaction score
475
I've the same thoughts actually. it's getting painful to have to spend $600 per mth just to collect $60 in three months ($20 per mth). the only perk is that there's additional cashback for shopee and mac's which I frequent...

if I could consolidate my spend on Stand Chart B$ for $1000 a month I could collect around $82 per mth with the 1% BI for card spend.

but in the process the $150k with UOB will no longer be earning any interest - hard to merry go round these days where all the rates are dropping.
With the revision of UOB One Account, is this still useful to keep this card? I will prob cancel the card next month
i emptied out mine end of nov, thought i would close it too along with card.
Suddenly found 2 windfalls that generate so much money and so overflowing they cannot be contained even if i max out with hsbc for its $300 ega + rewards (and on top of other funds maturing) that i will have to go back in
 
Last edited:

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
13,363
Reaction score
1,538
Out of curiosity, I went to check my lenskart transaction made with a UOB card back in Jan 2025 at plaza sing branch. The MCC code is 8043 - Opticians, Optical Goods and Eyeglasses

Amount was $670.

Luckily for me, MCC code doesn't matter since I used the CP visa card for 10% cashback cap at $50. So effective cashback is ~7.46%

CP visa = Citi Platinum?
 

CaptainWu

Senior Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
1,197
Reaction score
237
I've the same thoughts actually. it's getting painful to have to spend $600 per mth just to collect $60 in three months ($20 per mth). the only perk is that there's additional cashback for shopee and mac's which I frequent...

if I could consolidate my spend on Stand Chart B$ for $1000 a month I could collect around $82 per mth with the 1% BI for card spend.

but in the process the $150k with UOB will no longer be earning any interest - hard to merry go round these days where all the rates are dropping.
I have similar thought but decided to keep using UOB Card as I use Shopee pretty frequent, and its hard for me to ensure usage of $1000 a month on SCB Card, except for the month for paying insurance. If you can consolidate $1000 to SCB then you can do the same on UOB and getting $100 a quarter with higher tier for groceries, shopee, mac...etc, might be comparable with SCB overall.
 

maumu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2000
Messages
11,812
Reaction score
2,770
... If you can consolidate $1000 to SCB then you can do the same on UOB and getting $100 a quarter with higher tier for groceries, shopee, mac...etc, might be comparable with SCB overall.
For $1000 on UOB One, we'll only get $33.33 per mth... with the base 3.33% cashback. to get the same ~$82 per mth from SC B$, the extra ~$48 will need to come from purchases from shopee, grab and macs, mainly. groceries only give extra 2.67%.

maybe for family unit, it'll be doable. not in my case :o

we'll need to spend $1000 all on shopee, grab, etc. to max the cashback which will still be max $83.33 per mth, equivalent to what SC B$ gives (1% on $100k). no way I can spend all on those partners with UOB 🤷‍♂️

with the UOB One account savings rate dropping to only 1.9% for $150k (with $500 spend per mth), I wonder if it's time to start moving the money elsewhere... like refunding CPF hahaha
 

iadpotato

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2009
Messages
1,520
Reaction score
249
This has become my bill payment card. Pretty easy to hit 600 with utilities, subscriptions, etc. plus Shopee which I use pretty often, and also bus/MRT rides.
 

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
13,363
Reaction score
1,538
I stay with UOB one card and account for familiarity sake .... do not see the point to switch here, switch there ..... too much hassle ....
 

netzach

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
40,529
Reaction score
3,165
lol...quite cham the monthly interest these days...
used to be $500+, then $400+, then $300+, then now $200++ le...
my spending is the hit a bit over $600 de....last time is $500 min.
lol
 

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
13,363
Reaction score
1,538
Not sure where to put this information, so I shall leave it here :

I went to a newly opened Fairprice, and their new cashier POS/self service machines do not accept the use Fairprice gift card .... I do top up my gift card from time to time if my credit card spend is short of several tens of $$ for the month ....

I hope this is not a signal that the use of gift card is facing a phased out .... :cry:
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,288
Reaction score
5,867
Not sure where to put this information, so I shall leave it here :

I went to a newly opened Fairprice, and their new cashier POS/self service machines do not accept the use Fairprice gift card .... I do top up my gift card from time to time if my credit card spend is short of several tens of $$ for the month ....

I hope this is not a signal that the use of gift card is facing a phased out .... :cry:
huh? did you ask the staff?
 

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
13,363
Reaction score
1,538
huh? did you ask the staff?
Most are new/temp staff for the new branch, ask can use gift card, 1 looked blur, another said system cannot accept .....

What "cannot accept" means, it's anybody's guess .... either the POS is being pushed out without full features, or someone forgot there is such a thing .....
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top