US help.

tulipkiss

Reaction score
Since it's my first time I guess maybe go with Hertz or Avis since I heard of those companies before. What car brand would you recommend? My biggest concern is just the ability to find parking especially near restaurants/cafes for dining.

I usually book from Avis since they're cheaper than Hertz. If you choose Avis, sign up for their Avis Preferred for free. And remember to check cc discounts (citibank, amex and SC i think).

But for this LA trip, i'm booked from Alamo UK site (though it's a US rental company) cos they're the cheapest even after all the fx exchanges. Saw it recommended on the travel forum, but it's my first time booking from them, not sure how good yet.

addats

Reaction score
i have used Alamo many times. I book from USCarHire. Alamo usually include all the insurance you need. 3rd party, LLA.

Parking is never a problem there unless in the city like LA or SanFran.

I recommand that you visit one of those big tree state park. If you go HW1, can go to Henry Cowell state park.

You may want to check the HW1 road status as sometime it will be close due to rock slide.

Take a look at southern california tickets if you are going to a few of the attractions, can get better price.

https://www.citypass.com/southern-california

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for a group of two or more travelers, should apply for ESTA as group application or individual application? seems that for group application, the system allows for one payment. does this mean that it is 14 USD regardless of number of travelers (max 50)? or they will still charge individually based on the number of traveler?

lousydrinker

Master Member
Reaction score
Flying to US via Korea this weekend

Anyone worried that US might ban us from entering? Still thinking should I cancel my trip

Posted from PCWX using MI 9

addats

Reaction score
for a group of two or more travelers, should apply for ESTA as group application or individual application? seems that for group application, the system allows for one payment. does this mean that it is 14 USD regardless of number of travelers (max 50)? or they will still charge individually based on the number of traveler?

Group ESTA is only for Couple and kids and it cost more.

tulipkiss

Reaction score

interested to know too. will you be trying?

it seems to me that it is still USD14/pax, just that we make 1 payment for the total - eg. for application of 4 pax, we make one payment of usd56. haha.

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Group ESTA is only for Couple and kids and it cost more.

interested to know too. will you be trying?

it seems to me that it is still USD14/pax, just that we make 1 payment for the total - eg. for application of 4 pax, we make one payment of usd56. haha.

seems that they will still charge 14 USD per pax even if group registration

YuM_ChA

Reaction score
What distance off driving do your guys usually do in a day. I’m a first timer doing road trip in US (daily driver in sg) and thinking of doing LA to Vegas to SF. With each trip max of 400km with breaks in between. Pretty much on the roads for most days.

Anyone who did this before can share if it’s tiring or possible?

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What distance off driving do your guys usually do in a day. I’m a first timer doing road trip in US (daily driver in sg) and thinking of doing LA to Vegas to SF. With each trip max of 400km with breaks in between. Pretty much on the roads for most days.

Anyone who did this before can share if it’s tiring or possible?

You can drive from SF to LA, or from LA to Vegas, in one day. You can't do SF to Vegas in one day, and frankly you wouldn't want to—there's so much on that road to see and do.

grynove

Reaction score
will be going to nyc on early june. was planning to drive to dc first before hand. im not sure if its doable. will be on direct sq flight.

since there's mentioned avoid chevy. im not sure what are the option for 8 seater ( im travelling with extended family) so far i only see chevy suburban.

i drive at hawai before. but over there traffic is quiet. im not sure for this jfk to dc route tho.

appreciate if anyone can guide me on this.

tia

lousydrinker

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows if Singapore license good enough to drive in Hawaii? I m already here, thought of renting a car but not 100% sure it is legal to do so

jFluf5O.jpg

Posted from PCWX using MI 9

Last edited:

AngeLx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello any New York accommodations for recommend? Thanks like those service apartment kind with 2 bedrooms

Arcanell

Reaction score
will be going to nyc on early june. was planning to drive to dc first before hand. im not sure if its doable. will be on direct sq flight.

since there's mentioned avoid chevy. im not sure what are the option for 8 seater ( im travelling with extended family) so far i only see chevy suburban.

i drive at hawai before. but over there traffic is quiet. im not sure for this jfk to dc route tho.

appreciate if anyone can guide me on this.

tia

why are you driving to dc instead of taking amtrak? I rented Chevrolet Malibu from hertz but was upgraded to toyota 4runner. The suv is huge! You can consider adding Princeton University, Woodbury Common & Sesame Place (if you have kids) in your itinerary.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.