Wechat wallet

madcampus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://str.sg/ohQM

Another day, another news of Singapore retailers accepting wechat payment. Again, no reciprocal plans whatsoever for Singaporeans to use Wechat in their homeground. What the hell is this man??

zorrus

Reaction score
Hi all!

anyone managed to upgrade their payment limit to advise me on my options? thanks!

for some reasons, i tried again 2 days ago and my limit was lifted!
so i could use my wallet again :s12:

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
netspay setup was quick and easy.
Going to try it in China.

Unionpay is commonly available alongside alipay and wepay righT?

Mergui219067

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is for the convenience of the PRC tourists as they face the same problem when we go China.

Many local & almost all worldwide would not give a damn about these China cashless .

BTW , Malaysia WeChat Pay also is invalid to use in China .
空欢喜 for some Malaysians.

http://str.sg/ohQM

Another day, another news of Singapore retailers accepting wechat payment. Again, no reciprocal plans whatsoever for Singaporeans to use Wechat in their homeground. What the hell is this man??

shirleyblu

Reaction score
For the netspay not all retailers accept. For the QR code mostly still only wechat and alipay.

They accept only union cards. Some retailer saw non local union card some will say not accept.

jywy2005

Master Member
Reaction score
For the netspay not all retailers accept. For the QR code mostly still only wechat and alipay.

They accept only union cards. Some retailer saw non local union card some will say not accept.

That’s true. I tried to use my BOC union pay credit card in China, only the international hotels accept the payment. So it’s best to book hotels first and pre-pay online.

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To use WeChat, you need to link to to a China issued debit card and have a local number.

For alipay, I managed to link it to my Citibank credit card to TOP up my China mobile phone, but I could not transfer money or make payment in China at the roadside stalls. Not sure why.

Even if you have union pay cc, it has to be a China issued one, it is not accepted in most places unless big international hotels.

When I travel to China, I will park a sum of money in BOC dual currency debit card. Then go over there to withdraw small amounts if the need arises.

IMHO, above summarises the current situation nicely.
WeChat/Alipay requires China bank account and mobile to be able to pay cashlessly in China.

This means for tourists to China like us, we have to rely on cash still, and on occasion, UnionPay, Visa/Master, Amex in order of availability.

Suck thumb. We just have to accept their norms.

UP is the only cashless alternative to Wechat Pay or AliPay, which most of us in Singapore have no access to unless we have a China-based bank account and mobile number. UP is widely accepted in major cities. It saved me the trouble of withdrawing cash from the ATM (not all of them are on the Plus or Cirrus network).

are foreign tourist allowed to get a china mobile number and subsequently a bank account?

i have heard that people usually spend their first day in china doing that

jywy2005

Master Member
Reaction score
You can easily get a chinese local mobile phone subscription plan. Just walk in to any 营业厅, and you can sign up for one. You need to produce your passport though.

As for bank accounts, depending on your luck, you may able to open one. Try ICBC in those 2nd tier cities, think they are not so strict with foreigners who have no residency in China. Do note that you need to have a local mobile phone number.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
are foreign tourist allowed to get a china mobile number and subsequently a bank account?

i have heard that people usually spend their first day in china doing that

Do tourists spend their first day in China getting a mobile number and a bank account? I don't think.
You can get data-roam for a fixed rate without restrictions on websites/apps that you can use. You can also simply purchase a pre-paid card at the airport or some sellers on the street with your passport.
Why would you need a bank account there as a tourist? I didn't. I have always brought my RMB with me.

starcrys

Reaction score
hello! did u managed to clarify your situation yet?
i am currently in SH now and i realised i am edging towards the 1K limit and i have personally tested that i cannot make payment or transfer any amount once the value exceeds 1k.

now i got some balance amount in my Wallet and i am kinda stuck on what is my next steps (since i wont be able to open a china bank account too)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Nope. Mine not clarified yet.

for some reasons, i tried again 2 days ago and my limit was lifted!
so i could use my wallet again :s12:

Did you do anything during those few days? Added any additional credit/debit cards? How long was your account registered (I mean, was it very recently like just within a week or something)?

Mine is also going to the 1k mark...That's why I'm also worrying...

Last edited:

Taurus123

Reaction score
Just back from china.. didn't got the chance to use netspay. Wechat wallet is a savior.. use wechat to pay for my train and flight booking (Chinese version) -no admin fee. Kfc also encourage wechat purchase. They open only 1 counter for cash.

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

seowbin

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
those who have problem using wechat

can consider to switch to alipay.
was in shanghai last weekend. my friend's friend sent her 500RMB but unable to use as usual (no verification yet)

She took some picture of her passport and got her verification done within an hour. She registered the alipay using her singapore mobile number.

Successfully made couple of payments after that.

madcampus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

was in shanghai last weekend. my friend's friend sent her 500RMB but unable to use as usual (no verification yet)

She took some picture of her passport and got her verification done within an hour. She registered the alipay using her singapore mobile number.

Good to know that it works. Thought they will reject the verification seeing you're a foreigner with foreign passport and number.

david_yyy

Reaction score

Can share how your friend get registered? And she made payment via her Singapore credit card that linked to alipay?

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

johndoe02

Reaction score
Hi urgent..
I received a sum of RMB from a friend cus we went out then he no SGD -.-
Stupidly I said yea yea I got wechat can receive.
After awhile, now wna cash it out I realize I can't...
Error code:
balance requires verification of real-name identity info

All this while I'm thinking if i can receive i should be able to send out as well ma and I added a dbs debit card in it, no issue. Never say not supported or what till now.

Any idea what I should do?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.