What you should know about online vigilantism, doxxing and what it means for you

Z_Dash

Master Member
Reaction score
It's sad to see the state we have reached back to stone age soon.

Without social justice sometimes like the recent security guard getting wack the person could simply walk free and bully another merdeka generation sinkie.

It was nice edwm lasted since I joined with the video pro saga. No more CSI word will appear anymore.

PeachVanilla

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'll check on the first one :o

For the CSI remark, I would believe it is now considered an ofence unless you can figure a version that just says it in jest and doesn't imply any harm.

So you're quoted version is clearly a threat/encouragement.

However, if one were to say it like - "You wait ah, I go CSI chiu :s13:" - that's definitely a remark in jest. So the keyword is the context of use.

Just to disclaim - these are my interpretations pruio--------------------==========================================================--

how come the regina kam thread is still around?

Texas5ice

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
"The act of doxxing involves publishing of someone’s personal information such as their photos, contact numbers or employment details with the intention to harass, and it will be criminalized under proposed changes to the Protection from Harassment Act (POHA)."

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-under-amendments-to-protection-from-11400756

My take: As penned in my important notes sticky thread, we've clearly cited what is acceptable and what isn't several years ago. Our TOS and rules cover the same too. What has changed now? Harsher penalties and a clear rule to leave out someone's personal details in a discussion. You can talk about the incident - but leave personal deets out. Else you'll face the consequences of my ban hammer and that of the law.

Here's CNA video that captures the new rule and what it means for online users very clearly:-

TL;DR version: If you've been abiding by our rules to-date, nothinig new, business as usual.

Publicly available information shared but not used for the purpose of harassment wouldn't be classified as doxxing. If publicly available personal information is doxxing, then the traditional media would have been guilty of doxxing since forever since they go the extra step of taking photos of people. Newspapers frequently print photos, name, age, occupation, gender of alleged criminals or suspects with impunity. That's because they have no intention to harass and doxxing laws will not apply to them.

I would think that publicly available photos, name, age, occupation would be fine under the new doxxing laws. Personal phone numbers, residential address icon number would be crossing the line since those things would imply an intent to harass or cause harassment. Please verify with your legal team on my views as well. Thanks.

Last edited:

BwaySaiDonk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dr.Vijay, can we get more serious on permanently banning people who are constantly spreaing hate please?
specially in a way that affects our racial and religious harmony in sg

Typical Sinkie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What if those information are already public? Say, photos on Facebook which is set as public. Still considered doxxing if shared on EDMW?

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

PeckTiongChoon

Master Member
Reaction score
Those pictures are gotten through Nicholas Twitter page, which is a public domain I suppose?

Posted from PCWX using HUAWEI ALPS

I'm curious too. If it's not considered doxxing then it would be good news to everyone.

Mystyque

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I only hope the ministers do not abuse the power they are vested with, from the law. :s22:

Don't worry, our ministers have perfect track record of never abusing their powers and i am confident the day will never come when we see a minister hauled up in court and sentenced for abuse of power.

wind30

Reaction score
Honestly, what happen if I quote Monica/Nicholas name in a discussion on how nus and police should have acted. I don’t did not encourage people to go after the accused or anything.

That is ok right? From the video it says it is.

lordofshanghai

Master Member
Reaction score
I am interested in the sharing of instagram side,like posting pic of handsome and gorgeous and later people asking of ig.. is thst doxxing.
Further also the alert of scams. Alot of scams take long time before exposure,but its good sharing of such info that protect some. Too many scammers these days.

theMKR

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can i copy and paste non-premium non-fake news article, from example: CNA/ST/TNP (which may or may not contain information of peoples mentions)

then add in some sarcastic remarks?

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds more like making an opinion than trying to harass someone.
Plus, even the harassment aspect is with regards to shaming someone with personally identifiable information.

Can i copy and paste non-premium non-fake news article, from example: CNA/ST/TNP (which may or may not contain information of peoples mentions)

then add in some sarcastic remarks?

SaboYouDie

Reaction score
And the law was passed without consultation of EDMW CSI team. :vijayadmin:

70secs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, our ministers have perfect track record of never abusing their powers and i am confident the day will never come when we see a minister hauled up in court and sentenced for abuse of power.

There's no such thing as abuse of power by our ministers. The Parliament ownself clear ownself by our PM is to show how transparent our Parliament is

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.