Where to tailor clothes =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4r3d3vil

Master Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
3,906
Reaction score
0
sorry if this is mentioned before. the thread is too long therefore i did not finish reading everything.

do anyone know of any good tailor? im looking to alter my clothes at a affordable rate. i know of good tailors at fep and lucky plaza but they are too expensive.

thanks.
 

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
24,936
Reaction score
950
just did a shirt at raphael gabriel
did the 89 range but add details till about 104 or 105 cant remember
there's 2 guys there (think 1's anson)
very helpful and slowly explain to me their range which i have to say is really wide

comparing my 75 eygptian from newcastle and the 89 from rg
really like the rg's feel more will upload picture if ppl here interested(very lazy=s)

Just upload the pics?
 

Irenicis

Master Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
4,806
Reaction score
136
i heard there is one place which makes business pants. good and cheap...

around like 3 for 100 bucks? anyone know what shop this is and where it is?

thanks!
 

doody_

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
7,508
Reaction score
7
Anyone has this problem with their shirt collars, where it gets a wrinkle? Is it a problem with the tailor or the material used?
 

electronics

Master Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2001
Messages
3,548
Reaction score
811
Anyone has this problem with their shirt collars, where it gets a wrinkle? Is it a problem with the tailor or the material used?

think could be the material and also due to "wear and wash" ..

i find collars do get softer as we wear and wash often.
i like the collar to be a little stiff or hard to retain its shape.
 

Kiton12345

Master Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
2,527
Reaction score
347
Anyone has this problem with their shirt collars, where it gets a wrinkle? Is it a problem with the tailor or the material used?

It happens with fused collars/cuffs and is called bubbling. This means that the interlining is starting to separate from the fabric.

The problem lies in the construction method of the collar/cuff. It will happen to all fused collars/cuff and is unavoidable.

I'd say asked for canvassed collars/cuff next time if you want to avoid it however, do note that canvassed shirts are much more expensive.
 

doody_

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
7,508
Reaction score
7
It happens with fused collars/cuffs and is called bubbling. This means that the interlining is starting to separate from the fabric.

The problem lies in the construction method of the collar/cuff. It will happen to all fused collars/cuff and is unavoidable.

I'd say asked for canvassed collars/cuff next time if you want to avoid it however, do note that canvassed shirts are much more expensive.

How much more expensive would it be? And which tailors offer such an option?
 

Kiton12345

Master Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
2,527
Reaction score
347
What's the difference? The previous tailor I went to did not mention this.

See for fused collars, the interlining and fabric is "glued" or heat pressed together. Over time this causes the interlining to separate from the fabric.

Non-fused collars have layers of fabric/interlining sewn together. Now, fused collars will remain stiffer and retain it's shape making it easier to iron while non-fused will require some ironing.

High quality fused collars actually do not bubble as often and are with non-fused. So I would suspect something lacking with your tailor's skill if you've had the shirt for a year or less and paid a huge chunk.

How much more expensive would it be? And which tailors offer such an option?

Quite a lot more expensive. I am thinking around $300 per shirt. Last I heard, Kevin Seah offers non-fused collars as well as CYC if you request for it.

Other than that not much experience with local shirt makers sorry.
 

Poshua

Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
436
Reaction score
0
Hi, was wondering whether have any of you all have tried the shirts from That Shirt Shop, and how does it matched up to the other tailors?

Pass by today and and spoke to the auntie in the shop. I was looking for suites but there is only 1 sample piece that looked very old.
 

doody_

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
7,508
Reaction score
7
High quality fused collars actually do not bubble as often and are with non-fused. So I would suspect something lacking with your tailor's skill if you've had the shirt for a year or less and paid a huge chunk.



Quite a lot more expensive. I am thinking around $300 per shirt. Last I heard, Kevin Seah offers non-fused collars as well as CYC if you request for it.

Other than that not much experience with local shirt makers sorry.

Yep I've had it for less than a year and it has already bubbled. However I paid about $70 for it so I guess it's quite acceptable?

I can't bear to spend $300 on a shirt right now, so I guess I will have to stick to fused collars and just take note of the collar...

Planning to make a set of about 5 shirts soon, anyone has a recommendation for the best value for money tailor that's good to start off?
 

millie

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
2,384
Reaction score
0
See for fused collars, the interlining and fabric is "glued" or heat pressed together. Over time this causes the interlining to separate from the fabric.

Non-fused collars have layers of fabric/interlining sewn together. Now, fused collars will remain stiffer and retain it's shape making it easier to iron while non-fused will require some ironing.

High quality fused collars actually do not bubble as often and are with non-fused. So I would suspect something lacking with your tailor's skill if you've had the shirt for a year or less and paid a huge chunk.



Quite a lot more expensive. I am thinking around $300 per shirt. Last I heard, Kevin Seah offers non-fused collars as well as CYC if you request for it.

Other than that not much experience with local shirt makers sorry.

hi, isnt it the norm for most collars to be fused?

from my personal experience, the fused collars can hold itself quite well against "bubbling" if we hand wash it. it can last 2 years in perfect condition if well maintained. after that some signs may start to show.

of course canvass is preferred but we can save this premium if we care for our shirts. :)

feel free to share ur thoughts haha
 

hst201

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2010
Messages
944
Reaction score
0
Yes, well executed fused collars should be quite durable. I haven't had any of mine bubbled. Canvassed collars are however much softer and more comfortable to wear. So it is not just a matter of durability. I would say fused or canvassed collars is more a matter of preference, and of course cost is a factor.
 

arctuates

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Messages
965
Reaction score
0
Resistance of the collar/cuffs to bubbling also depends on how the quality of the fusible used (glue & interlining, I believe), as well as the method by which the garment is fused - for instance, fusing done via a proper heat press rather than a normal iron is gonna last longer.

How one washes shirts is also a factor. Tumbling dry is liable to cause more degradation of the fusible, although I can't remember what the exact science of it was - so hang dry your shirts. Ironing methodology is yet another factor - e.g. using the curves of the board rather than flat pressing the rear of your collar, which invariably leads to bunching of cloth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top