Which laptop for Poly?

SexMuffin

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
416
Reaction score
3
Hi guys, will be entering poly this year and was wondering which laptop is good. I'll be going to a engineering course and is wondering if different courses would need different laptops. I would want a light-ish laptop that would NOT lag, I've seen some really light laptop that is just..... laggy i guess. I also want to do light gaming on it Dota 2, smite, FFXIV, GW2 and maybe bf4 if possible. I have a budget of 1.7k. I was thinking of the Aftershock XG 13 as it looks really really well built but im really foreign to Laptops.

And a friend of mine have a budget of 1.2k and would like to at least play dota2 on it.

I know the laptops are meant for poly but if it's possible to game on it then that would be a +.


Any input is appreciated. :)
 
Last edited:

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
Hi guys, will be entering poly this year and was wondering which laptop is good. I'll be going to a engineering course and is wondering if different courses would need different laptops. I would want a light-ish laptop that would NOT lag, I've seen some really light laptop that is just..... laggy i guess. I also want to do light gaming on it Dota 2, smite and maybe bf4 if possible. I have a budget of 1.7k. I was thinking of the Aftershock XG 13 but im really foreign to Laptops.

And a friend of mine have a budget of 1.2k and would like to at least play dota2 on it.

I know the laptops are meant for poly but if it's possible to game on it then that would be a +.


Any input is appreciated. :)
poly price lenovo y410p only $1335. Good enough for both u and your friend.
 

SexMuffin

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
416
Reaction score
3
Any other suggestions? Want to know what other laptops around my price range(1.7k) is out there.
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
The gt 755m can easily play dota 2 and smite on max settings. BF4 should run well on high settings since its only a 1366x768 screen. If you want something better, the aftershock ones will be your choice.
 

SexMuffin

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
416
Reaction score
3
The gt 755m can easily play dota 2 and smite on max settings. BF4 should run well on high settings since its only a 1366x768 screen. If you want something better, the aftershock ones will be your choice.

Thank for your input man! I'm considering the Y410p more and more, I dont know why but the xg13 looks so sweet haha but it's over 600 more expensive but it's lighter and have a 1080p screen( I've swapped from a 720p to 1080p screen and the difference is WOW) and alittle better GPU, not sure if it justify's the 600 tho haha. I think i'll go down to shops and see them ^.^

Any other input is appreciated!
 
Last edited:

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
Not sure how you got your xg 13 to reach 1.9k. The y410p is actually only 2.2kg, 200 grams more than the xg 13. the 5.5 pounds listed on many websites includes the ultrabay graphics card that doesn't exist. The 765m is about 30% better than the 755m but if you will be gaming at 1080p vs 720p, the xg 13 will perform worse simply due to the higher quality. The display on the aftershock one is a definite plus though.
 

SexMuffin

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
416
Reaction score
3
Not sure how you got your xg 13 to reach 1.9k. The y410p is actually only 2.2kg, 200 grams more than the xg 13. the 5.5 pounds listed on many websites includes the ultrabay graphics card that doesn't exist. The 765m is about 30% better than the 755m but if you will be gaming at 1080p vs 720p, the xg 13 will perform worse simply due to the higher quality. The display on the aftershock one is a definite plus though.

Ahh sorry, i just picked the recommended one off the website which was ~2k. Did the custom picks and it cost 1.8 inclusive of SSD + 8gb of ram. Yea that i agree as the screen as more pixels. argh hard decision for me haha. Shall look more into it! Thanks for your input man, really apreciated it

any other input in appreciated! ty^.^
 

j_t_fusion

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
5,707
Reaction score
10
don't buy first. in recent years whenever poly got new intake, the poly will have some mini laptop roadshow with the laptops already "customised" for the respective diploma.

customised in the sense that any special software that your course need will be preloaded and any network drive will be mapped for you beforehand.
 

SexMuffin

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
416
Reaction score
3
don't buy first. in recent years whenever poly got new intake, the poly will have some mini laptop roadshow with the laptops already "customised" for the respective diploma.

customised in the sense that any special software that your course need will be preloaded and any network drive will be mapped for you beforehand.

Thanks, the road show for SP is 19/24 march, I'll be going down on 19 to check out the Y410p and other choices and will be going to funan to see the XG13. And also the software included!

Really cant decide between the lenovo or the aftershock tho, both have their goods an bads.

Lenovo is cheaper and might possibly run faster while the aftershock is lighter, and has a beautiful screen and the build quality seems alot higher(I'll have to feel them in person to know tho). I'm just afraid IF i get the aftershock it will be annoying thick + alittle on the heavy side.




Any further input about laptops(size, weight etc. brand model and EXPERIENCE with their laptops in poly)would be appreciated
 
Last edited:

chiaRH

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
1,975
Reaction score
0
don't buy first. in recent years whenever poly got new intake, the poly will have some mini laptop roadshow with the laptops already "customised" for the respective diploma.

customised in the sense that any special software that your course need will be preloaded and any network drive will be mapped for you beforehand.

if I'm not wrong most polys that do this will have their IT departments able to help people with doing the configuration for their laptops, this is to cater to people who already had their own laptops beforehand when they started poly.

It might also be better to get your own laptop because you may not have any idea how much 'configured' those poly roadshow laptops are. To speak from my personal experience, my sister entered Republic Poly last year, bought a Dell Latitude from their roadshow and the way that the school does their configuration it seemed to be extremely strict, like you may not even get administrator privileges for controlling some things in your own machine, etc. I seem to recall she couldn't even change the screen brightness because she didn't have the access control.

Therefore if you are getting laptop from poly roadshow it's a good idea to really do some due diligence and check with them how much access control you have over your own machine.
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
Good luck on that. I heard that the y400 was sold out last year. Not sure which poly it was though.
 

LosGuardian

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
40
Reaction score
1
Hi guys, will be entering poly this year and was wondering which laptop is good. I'll be going to a engineering course and is wondering if different courses would need different laptops. I would want a light-ish laptop that would NOT lag, I've seen some really light laptop that is just..... laggy i guess. I also want to do light gaming on it Dota 2, smite, FFXIV, GW2 and maybe bf4 if possible. I have a budget of 1.7k. I was thinking of the Aftershock XG 13 as it looks really really well built but im really foreign to Laptops.

And a friend of mine have a budget of 1.2k and would like to at least play dota2 on it.

I know the laptops are meant for poly but if it's possible to game on it then that would be a +.


Any input is appreciated. :)

Well the lenovo y510p in Malaysia costs 1.3k with a gt755m would most probably be good enough for you. Prices of electronics in SG is overpriced even with the it show going on
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
Well the lenovo y510p in Malaysia costs 1.3k with a gt755m would most probably be good enough for you. Prices of electronics in SG is overpriced even with the it show going on

I recommend against going for the dual graphics one. I've heard many problems with SLI. Heat, firmware and software.
 

SexMuffin

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
416
Reaction score
3
Yea! Thank for the reply guys! But i have one last question now, depending of which i get(aftershock/lenovo) They are both the same size, do you guys think it will be heavy or too big for carrying around poly? Or isit portable for you guys? Just want some opinion!

thanks! ^.^
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
Yea! Thank for the reply guys! But i have one last question now, depending of which i get(aftershock/lenovo) They are both the same size, do you guys think it will be heavy or too big for carrying around poly? Or isit portable for you guys? Just want some opinion!

thanks! ^.^

You should test it out yourself. using my hands to carry, the y410p does feel slightly heavy. However, when i placed it in my bag, its really weightless. Nothing comparable to what i used to carry during sec 4.
 

SexMuffin

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
416
Reaction score
3
You should test it out yourself. using my hands to carry, the y410p does feel slightly heavy. However, when i placed it in my bag, its really weightless. Nothing comparable to what i used to carry during sec 4.

Thanks for the quick replies man, I mean, im scared that at the shop carry shiok shiok think it's light then in the end carry to poly regret haha! That's why wanna get some opinions from people as im scared the thickness/weight will be an issue
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
Thanks for the quick replies man, I mean, im scared that at the shop carry shiok shiok think it's light then in the end carry to poly regret haha! That's why wanna get some opinions from people as im scared the thickness/weight will be an issue

Well if you are used to like 6kg of books in your bag, a 2kg notebook is nothing. np about the quick replies. I nothing do while waiting for poly to start anyways. Lazy to get a job.
 

SexMuffin

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
416
Reaction score
3
Well if you are used to like 6kg of books in your bag, a 2kg notebook is nothing. np about the quick replies. I nothing do while waiting for poly to start anyways. Lazy to get a job.

Haha same! Waiting for poly nothing to do just looking forward to getting the laptop. never had one so quite excited but i got desktop to game on so still okay. Still contemplating between the aftershock and lenovo but leaning mor towards the aftershock.
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
Haha same! Waiting for poly nothing to do just looking forward to getting the laptop. never had one so quite excited but i got desktop to game on so still okay. Still contemplating between the aftershock and lenovo but leaning mor towards the aftershock.

If getting the aftershock, must get before it show over. If not the 1850 price will go back to 2.1k and you cant get their free ac card / colour calibrations etc
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top