Which MBA?

wantonmeekia

Reaction score
Insead and LBS are both considered tier 1 schools as well. But generally, I prefer the MBA programs in the US a bit more. The link which you have is pretty accurate. Northwestern is decent, but definitely not a tier 1.

As for the HR, it depends on what kind of companies you are applying to, and what you mean by recognise.

For civil service, if you went to a local MBA program (NUS/SMU/NTU), you will be emplaced, and therefore have a pay bump. But to be placed on fast track program, you will need to have good job performance + went to a strong business school.

For private sector, it depends on the companies. Top consulting firms (mckinsey,bain,bcg), and also for investment banking roles, generally will hire mostly from tier 1 business schools. For tech companies like shopee grab etc, they do hire from other business schools, but if you went to a tier 1 school, it will definitely give you a few extra points to ask for higher compensation.
Hi DataScience.

Any idea if the potential pay bump in Civil Service is applicable for local MBA sponsored applicants only or for both sponsored and self-sponsored applicants? I am only worried if I self-sponsor my own MBA but my statutory board will consider me as a "second-class citizen".

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi DataScience.

Any idea if the potential pay bump in Civil Service is applicable for local MBA sponsored applicants only or for both sponsored and self-sponsored applicants? I am only worried if I self-sponsor my own MBA but my statutory board will consider me as a "second-class citizen".
You HR department no position on this?

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi DataScience.

Hi, you should be directing this question to your HR. They will have a list of recognised universities and criteria for a pay increment.

Leaden

Reaction score
Hi DataScience.

If i'm not wrong,
Part time masters = no pay bump
Full time masters relevant to the job, 1 year master = 1 pay bump, 2 year master = 2 pay bump.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i'm not wrong,
Part time masters = no pay bump
Full time masters relevant to the job, 1 year master = 1 pay bump, 2 year master = 2 pay bump.
What makes a part time masters or an accelerated masters any less worthy than a normal one if both masters are materially the same?

doesn’t sound right

Leaden

Reaction score
What makes a part time masters or an accelerated masters any less worthy than a normal one if both masters are materially the same?

doesn’t sound right

If i'm not wrong, the rationale is,

Max 1 pay bump from work exp and studies.

Their work that year already contribute to that 1 pay bump. So their part time master don't count.

Workers on full time masters, are not working, so their masters contribute to that 1 pay bump per year of study.

I think up to the worker to decide which route to take. 1 can continue gain work exp, but have to juggle studies. 1 lose work exp, but can focus on study.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i'm not wrong, the rationale is,

Max 1 pay bump from work exp and studies.

Their work that year already contribute to that 1 pay bump. So their part time master don't count.

Workers on full time masters, are not working, so their masters contribute to that 1 pay bump per year of study.

I think up to the worker to decide which route to take. 1 can continue gain work exp, but have to juggle studies. 1 lose work exp, but can focus on study.
hmmm so is not so much about whether you do masters or not. but rather the typical cycle.

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
most adults take PT no? At least for my coy, everyone does PT - self or sponsored.

cjhj56

Reaction score
SchoolRankingUK rankingCentreCourseFeeDuration (PT)Duration (FT)
Cardiff Metropolitan University801–1000
79​
DIMENSIONSMBA$ 21,592.60
12​
University of Strathclyde401–500
23​
DIMENSIONSMBA$ 40,500.00
24​
University of Dubuque, Iowa
2857​
Aventis School of ManagementMBA
12​
Roehampton University London801–1000
78​
Aventis School of ManagementMBA$ 22,800.00
California State University
1819​
Aventis School of ManagementMBA$ 56,000.00
12​
Anglia Ruskin University301–350
117​
FTMSMBA$ 20,000.00
12​
University of Greenwich601–800
98​
LSBFMBA$ 18,000.00
18​
12​
Northumbria University351–400
57​
KaplanMBA$ 23,326.00
15​
Birmingham City University601–800
90​
KaplanMBA$ 26,750.00
12​
Bangor University401–500
62​
MDISMBA$ 23,540.00
12​
University of Adelaide
118​
NAAMBA$ 36,240.00
24​
Coventry University601–800
PSBMBA$ 16,999.00
20​
16​
Heriot Watt University351–400
EAIMMBA$ 27,950.00
12​
De Monfort University601–800
119​
EAIMMBA$ 13,888.00
12​
University of Northampton1001-1200
90​
Amity Global InstituteMBA$ 16,888.00
12​
Queen Mary University of London
Amity Global InstituteMBA$ 28,999.00
12​
Im in my last sem for my dissertation. Time flies!
Now I am interested in a quick and short face to face exec education from tier 1 to ups my resume.

cjhj56

Reaction score
@cjhj56 So you chose Conventry? I am searching to do a masters too.... but budget constrain.
No, I do know of a Coventry dropout who said there is a significant dropout rate there prior to joining my current school. I took the "all cheaper MBA are the same" advice seriously. I didn't know my MBA isn't even "accredited" by any major association till 3rd sem. man...

Thing is, cheaper MBAs private schools including mine, hire those older decorated retired lecturers. Their ideology is not the same as mine and I am actually quite upset at how they see my work.
I found out halfway through that they do not know what is SaaS nor even understand the economics or long-term value, and they don't understand nor embrace interactive PPT slides (my classmates chuck entire essays into the deck while mine is simple straightforward points on slides but I further elaborate it when presenting).

Truth is I haven't learned much. The school doesn't embrace critical thinking and solution. But I am almost completing my course.

Literature

Reaction score
No, I do know of a Coventry dropout who said there is a significant dropout rate there prior to joining my current school. I took the "all cheaper MBA are the same" advice seriously. I didn't know my MBA isn't even "accredited" by any major association till 3rd sem. man...

Thing is, cheaper MBAs private schools including mine, hire those older decorated retired lecturers. Their ideology is not the same as mine and I am actually quite upset at how they see my work.
I found out halfway through that they do not know what is SaaS nor even understand the economics or long-term value, and they don't understand nor embrace interactive PPT slides (my classmates chuck entire essays into the deck while mine is simple straightforward points on slides but I further elaborate it when presenting).

Truth is I haven't learned much. The school doesn't embrace critical thinking and solution. But I am almost completing my course.
Totally understand.... that is why i am thinking and re-thinking.... my budget is $30k.... not many options thou....

Is it 100% assignment based? or examinable modules?

Literature

Reaction score

@cjhj56 - Frankly speaking... accreditation not that important lah....
If given a 2nd chance... which part time masters will you go for?

nottin

Reaction score

Why is it important to understand saas ?

Probably dun understand economics is kind of weird as this is a MBA course. I thinking to go for Nottingham MBA but the dissertation is the killer for me.
Does your CEO, CFO and coo knows what is saas ?

nottin

Reaction score
Anyone taking the master of science of engineering management from Warwick at SIM ?

Is it tough ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.