Woodwork as a hobby

Little_Demon

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2005
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Not really a hobby but I do make simple items like stool, table, fish tank cover, bird cage when specific dimension is required. I get my wood from a shop at Townshend Rd, they will cut to my required dimension. Do you know of other shop that offers same service? Sometime not convenient to go there and they close early. Good to have another source. Thanks.
 

Sainté

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2018
Messages
6,971
Reaction score
919
Have you tried Ikea? Most items are pre-cut though, so dimension wise not very flexible. But what I like is can mix and match.
 

Little_Demon

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2005
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Most of my projects requires specific dimension so can't source from Ikea as their dimension are fixed. And Ikea wood are low quality, I had to reduce the length of a Ikea table once, the table is about 2 inch thick but once you saw through, inside is actually cardboard in honeycomb shape to make it rigid, so only the 4 sides are actual wood strips, top and bottom are thin plywood or something.
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,454
Reaction score
6,803
Most of my projects requires specific dimension so can't source from Ikea as their dimension are fixed. And Ikea wood are low quality, I had to reduce the length of a Ikea table once, the table is about 2 inch thick but once you saw through, inside is actually cardboard in honeycomb shape to make it rigid, so only the 4 sides are actual wood strips, top and bottom are thin plywood or something.

You'll need to get those which is solid wood.
Those that I need to last I get solid wood.
If temporary, I get those with the honeycomb cardboard fill.
My favourite was the RAST beside table - EOL already.
 

angy

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
670
Reaction score
44
if you guys are into woodwork, 99% of the them, it is about joining two pieces of wood together. There are many methods. Traditional, you can do the mortise joints or the dovetail joints. However, both these joints mean you need to have space to clamp your timber together.

These days, unless you have a big workshop, you would not have time to do it. So, now, the common four methods are dowels, dominos, biscuit or screws.

Dowels are cheap and you can buy cheap dowels. There are cheap machines that can help you to do it. However, you pay for what you get. IKEA uses dowels. Top brand, Mafell.

Dominos are more expensive. Festool is the main machine if you are into dominos.

Biscuits - the machine is super expensive that it is not even worth mention. However, it is very popular in the woodworking industry.

However, for home, I recommend, Kreg. Cheap and good. You can either get Kreg K4 or Kreg K5. You can make alot of the things with Kreg. Google on youtube. They have plenty of ideas. Get from Amazon, they have everything there. I recommend the Kreg clamp. If you want copied version, Aliexpress has plenty.

Check this out.

https://www.kregtool.com/get-inspired/project-ideas.aspx
 

GreggMQ

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
1
Not really a hobby but I do make simple items like stool, table, fish tank cover, bird cage when specific dimension is required. I get my wood from a shop at Townshend Rd, they will cut to my required dimension. Do you know of other shop that offers same service? Sometime not convenient to go there and they close early. Good to have another source. Thanks.

How much time does that hobby take, to make a simple wooden table? I like that hobby, and that's why I've purchased my own CNC router called Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO ( from here: https://www.woodroutersreviews.com/best-cnc-router/ ). It is made of high-quality materials and works perfectly for any purpose.
 
Last edited:

studiorozu

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2020
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hard to really get into woodworking in sg because you need to have the tools, machines etc. And you need to dispose of the remaining wood by yourself too. Unless you go for those woodworking workshops.

But yes, I am into this craft! Made a few miniature chairs, toilet roll holder for home.
 

Little_Demon

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2005
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
How much time does that hobby take, to make a simple wooden table?

I did a table once with storage at the side, took me 1-2 months from design to complete, cos I only do it after work and during free time.

As I get my wood precut, the dimension must be accurate, must factor in the thickness of the wood to be use. Design took weeks, then getting the wood cut from shop is easy, assembling it not too difficult, then sanding took some time, painting it also take some time as need to dry between coats.
 

glarerder

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2018
Messages
61,992
Reaction score
24,317
With more time at home, are you going to start/resume a project? :o
 

angy

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
670
Reaction score
44
Can I ask what wood did you use for the legs?

That is a hard one. You will need to go to a wood supplier to get you any 4 timber legs of the right length.

The rest can be made of plywood. My advice are
a. have a look at the Kreg website and see what you think you can source and what you think you can make.
b. Best, is, if all of them are off the same thickness that you can buy a sheet of plywood or MDF and ask the wood supplier to cut to the dimensions you wanted. All you then have to do is to use the Kreg tool to drill the hole and screw all the joints.

When you source for timber, dont source for the expensive ones. You dont need to have it lined on one side or both side. Buy the cheapest so that if you make a mistake, it is not so hard broken.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top