Woodwork as a hobby

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,445
Reaction score
6,797
That is a hard one. You will need to go to a wood supplier to get you any 4 timber legs of the right length.

The rest can be made of plywood. My advice are
a. have a look at the Kreg website and see what you think you can source and what you think you can make.
b. Best, is, if all of them are off the same thickness that you can buy a sheet of plywood or MDF and ask the wood supplier to cut to the dimensions you wanted. All you then have to do is to use the Kreg tool to drill the hole and screw all the joints.

When you source for timber, dont source for the expensive ones. You dont need to have it lined on one side or both side. Buy the cheapest so that if you make a mistake, it is not so hard broken.

Actually I am thinking of making a computer desk.
Plywood for the top is ok.
The challenge would be the legs for support which was why I ask that question.
I am trying to find out more about wood which requires the least amount of work.
E.g. I have done Ikea furniture that uses pine. I just left them bare as they are.
 

angy

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
670
Reaction score
44
Actually I am thinking of making a computer desk.
Plywood for the top is ok.
The challenge would be the legs for support which was why I ask that question.
I am trying to find out more about wood which requires the least amount of work.
E.g. I have done Ikea furniture that uses pine. I just left them bare as they are.


try this one
https://www.buildsomething.com/plans/PC56F7414D0EE093C/Simple-Desk-with-Style—Metric-

you then have the same thickness for the plywood

By the way, join the Kreg DIY Community in Facebook
 
Last edited:

tarui04

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2004
Messages
64,429
Reaction score
1,776
last time the home fix diy still got workshop at paya lebar there still can make...now close liao. knn waste my money for the course
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,445
Reaction score
6,797
No need facebook, just google Kreg DIY. There are plenty of yutube videos or url that can give you information.

Yes, there are a lot of videos out there but need to settle the wood first.
I am looking at making a base to support a multi-tier table 120mm x 75mm. :D
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,445
Reaction score
6,797
last time the home fix diy still got workshop at paya lebar there still can make...now close liao. knn waste my money for the course

Perhaps because space is expensive in Singapore.

I had always wanted to do darkroom printing.
I had always wanted to setup a small woodworking workshop at home.
:s13:

Now I will think I will be contented to be able to order to made-to-measure different type of wood at reasonable prices so that I can kick start my wood making. :D
 

angy

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
670
Reaction score
44
Perhaps because space is expensive in Singapore.

I had always wanted to do darkroom printing.
I had always wanted to setup a small woodworking workshop at home.
:s13:

Now I will think I will be contented to be able to order to made-to-measure different type of wood at reasonable prices so that I can kick start my wood making. :D

it is very hard to start wood marking because
a. the dust - it is very dusty
b. you need to buy vac to stick out the dust. Those woodworking vac are not cheap.

That is why i recommend buy the kreg. You get it pre cut and all you do is to drill holes and put a screw to hold the pieces together.
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,445
Reaction score
6,797
it is very hard to start wood marking because
a. the dust - it is very dusty
b. you need to buy vac to stick out the dust. Those woodworking vac are not cheap.

That is why i recommend buy the kreg. You get it pre cut and all you do is to drill holes and put a screw to hold the pieces together.

Yeah, the dust.
However, I already got the BOSCH GAS 18V 10L ready.
But I am still looking at pre-cut. But I need good quality wood that are smooth (I hope) so I do less work.
 

angy

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
670
Reaction score
44
Sorry typo, 120cm x 75cm ! :D

if you want 1.2x.75, and you want solid wood, it is going to be expensive. Can you imagine, how old the tree has to be to have either a 1.2m diameter or a 75cm diameter of clean timber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz3g7NB8bC8
watch this video, count the number of rings and ask yourself will you be able to get it cheap for what you want. See how much wastage he has.

My advice is to stick to MDF or ply. Why?
a. it is cheaper
b. it will be completely flat and non warp.
 

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,445
Reaction score
6,797
if you want 1.2x.75, and you want solid wood, it is going to be expensive. Can you imagine, how old the tree has to be to have either a 1.2m diameter or a 75cm diameter of clean timber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz3g7NB8bC8
watch this video, count the number of rings and ask yourself will you be able to get it cheap for what you want. See how much wastage he has.

My advice is to stick to MDF or ply. Why?
a. it is cheaper
b. it will be completely flat and non warp.

To make a 1.2m x 0.75m solid wood table top, the usual practice I've seen was to join several solid wood planks together to make the large piece.

I am considering plywood for the table top. My requirement for solid wood would be for the base - to free up all the space underneath the table top and also to withstand (hopefully) the weight of the mult-tier rack (and the stuffs I am going to put on it ) on top of the table.

These will replace the present 2 units of three-tier metal desk.
The ply on some of the tiers, are already warping due to the weight of stuffs. :s13:
I resist using MDF because my area is high humidity and I don't intent to paint it.
 

angy

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2000
Messages
670
Reaction score
44
To make a 1.2m x 0.75m solid wood table top, the usual practice I've seen was to join several solid wood planks together to make the large piece.

I am considering plywood for the table top. My requirement for solid wood would be for the base - to free up all the space underneath the table top and also to withstand (hopefully) the weight of the mult-tier rack (and the stuffs I am going to put on it ) on top of the table.

These will replace the present 2 units of three-tier metal desk.
The ply on some of the tiers, are already warping due to the weight of stuffs. :s13:
I resist using MDF because my area is high humidity and I don't intent to paint it.

yes, you are right. You have pieces of the shorter solid timber and then join them together. But then, you have a problem
a. how to join - you either need a biscuit, a dowel or a domino
b. how to clamp, you will need at least 4 of 5 clamps of at least either 1.2m or .7m long.

have a look at this for biscuit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7EHOQOZIQ

i see that you have done your homework. Go and do it after the circuit breaker and share with the audience your result.
 

avac91

Junior Member
Joined
May 20, 2020
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Where can I buy wood in Singapore? I bought a lovely wooden basket from Bali previously and I thought I can re-create something like that. Kinda bored at home now. =:p
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top