Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_flame

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,022
Reaction score
0
is Doucal's any good ? worth buying @$250 pricepoint?
The styles are meant to be worn with more fashion/streetwear/casual fits, as opposed to classic men's tailoring.

I might buy a pair to trash with my trashed skinny jeans. There's a gaudy wingtip in black polish leather with chunky soles and faux gold plated heel counter that toe the line between swag and trashy wannabe.

I might just get it. :)
 

BalaPrince

Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
SAF #3 Shoe for work

Have anyone wore SAF #3 shoe for work before? Is it appropriate? Or is it too obvious It's from SAF.
 

dj_flame

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,022
Reaction score
0
Have anyone wore SAF #3 shoe for work before? Is it appropriate? Or is it too obvious It's from SAF.
It's OK for the office but since almost everyone has a pair it would obvious.

If you cannot afford the good stuff, it's fine. There is virtue in thriftiness.
 

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
Have anyone wore SAF #3 shoe for work before? Is it appropriate? Or is it too obvious It's from SAF.

That's patent leather right? Personally think it looks terrible.. But I don't think anyone will bother what shoes someone else is wearing as long as not sneakers or sandals.. If no budget just wear.. If got some budget.. Look good, feel good right?
 

dj_flame

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,022
Reaction score
0
Wah lau simi almost everyone. I never touch #3 shoes before in my life T_T
So garang, #4 all day err day. :D

P.S. I served as a staff LTA, so I hardly touched my combat boots after passing out. (unless doing DO duty LOL) :) :) :)
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
It's obvious for SAF #3 shoes for sure..

But from what I observed.. Those dudes that wear it in private sector let their work ethics speak more than their dressing.
Either an ex nsf who is not as well off and starting work life after ns.
Or a ex regular from his age and wears it when he first starts work in civilian life.

But hey.. I'm guilty of it too. And my gyw shoes are bought from saving up wearing what I had. Probably had better shoes than my colleagues after that.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
So garang, #4 all day err day. :D

P.S. I served as a staff LTA, so I hardly touched my combat boots after passing out. (unless doing DO duty LOL) :) :) :)
Combat troop leh. How to wear no.3 ****. Will lena whack for being kuniang/chaokeng.

Anw I don't see anything weong woth no.3 shoes lah. They're patent oxfords in cemented construction. Much hardier than pedro or aldo. Don't think so much wear only.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 

Daniel.Y

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
731
Reaction score
0
It's obvious for SAF #3 shoes for sure..

But from what I observed.. Those dudes that wear it in private sector let their work ethics speak more than their dressing.
Either an ex nsf who is not as well off and starting work life after ns.
Or a ex regular from his age and wears it when he first starts work in civilian life.

But hey.. I'm guilty of it too. And my gyw shoes are bought from saving up wearing what I had. Probably had better shoes than my colleagues after that.

Second that. There's actually nothing wrong with no3 shoes, apart from the bubbly shape, when you are on a tight budget. I rotate them with another pair of Batas ambassador for almost a year when I started working after ORD.
 

dj_flame

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,022
Reaction score
0
Anw I don't see anything weong woth no.3 shoes lah. They're patent oxfords in cemented construction. Much hardier than pedro or aldo. Don't think so much wear only.

Second that. There's actually nothing wrong with no3 shoes, apart from the bubbly shape, when you are on a tight budget.
To be completely frank, they look a lot like those CDG x Heschung bubbly shoes that sell for $400-600.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
To be completely frank, they look a lot like those CDG x Heschung bubbly shoes that sell for $400-600.
Well my personal feel is that its snobbery at work when people look down on SAF No. 3 shoes.

How long did they last you when you were in service? I bet back then you didn't even rotate your shoes or use shoe trees either.

With Pedro or Aldo shoes even with rotation and shoe trees they barely lasted a year.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
Anyone with first-hand experience with Duggers of London? Seems quite positively reviewed by Shoe Snob. Thought the Dickie (hehe) looks quite nice but close ups seem to suggest that quality leaves something to be desired even for the relatively low price..

https://parisiangentleman.co.uk/2013/11/04/country-brogue-dreamin-a-rundown-of-four-great-shoe-choices/

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2013/07/duggers-of-london-new-best-cost-vs-value.html

I own 3 pairs. Bought my 1st pair in 2014 and another pair each over the next 2 years. Personal opinion is that leather quality is better than edetal, construction is sturdy and comparable to, say, loake shoemaker standard. Speaking for the 1st 2 pairs bought. The latest pair I bought a couple of months back, leather quality felt poorer though construction seemed to have improved. Not sure if related to the fact that they reduced their prices.

I won't really recommend based on my latest experience, but experience with the 1st 2 pairs was good. The lasts are generally traditional and unsexy, so do note that.
 

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
I own 3 pairs. Bought my 1st pair in 2014 and another pair each over the next 2 years. Personal opinion is that leather quality is better than edetal, construction is sturdy and comparable to, say, loake shoemaker standard. Speaking for the 1st 2 pairs bought. The latest pair I bought a couple of months back, leather quality felt poorer though construction seemed to have improved. Not sure if related to the fact that they reduced their prices.

I won't really recommend based on my latest experience, but experience with the 1st 2 pairs was good. The lasts are generally traditional and unsexy, so do note that.

Ahhh.. Thanks for the feedback
 

Crimz7

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Goodyear-welt Cobblers

Hi guys sorry my first time here, cant find a similar post regarding my question so I'm gonna post here.

I have a pair of goodyear-welt shoes and I want to raise the height of 1 shoes by probably 1.5cm as I have a shorter leg. I would like to add a 1cm rubber sole at the bottom and then a 0.5cm insoles inside the shoes. So I'll be able to make 1 leg longer by 1.5cm. So far this is what I'm intending to do.

Does anyone here knows of any goodyear cobblers in Singapore who are able to do this kinda stuff? I love my pair of goodyear and I want it to last by being able to walk properly.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Hi guys sorry my first time here, cant find a similar post regarding my question so I'm gonna post here.

I have a pair of goodyear-welt shoes and I want to raise the height of 1 shoes by probably 1.5cm as I have a shorter leg. I would like to add a 1cm rubber sole at the bottom and then a 0.5cm insoles inside the shoes. So I'll be able to make 1 leg longer by 1.5cm. So far this is what I'm intending to do.

Does anyone here knows of any goodyear cobblers in Singapore who are able to do this kinda stuff? I love my pair of goodyear and I want it to last by being able to walk properly.

You don't need someone with intimate knowledge of GYW to do this. Just go to any cobbler and ask them for their thickest sole protectors. On your part buy the thickest insoles you can get to put into your shoe.
 

bruccancer

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2013
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
What do you guys use for your boots? Currently I just stuff the top part of my Jodhpurs boots with paper, which does not effectively stretch the leather out. Boot shapers I found online are mostly designed for women's boots which are very long and expensive
 

Crimz7

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
You don't need someone with intimate knowledge of GYW to do this. Just go to any cobbler and ask them for their thickest sole protectors. On your part buy the thickest insoles you can get to put into your shoe.

Oh wow its that simple? So a shoe shop like Shukey will be able to do so? Thanks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top