Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emospence

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
38,419
Reaction score
48
Bought a pair of LLYR shoes recently. Still in the process of breaking in the shoes (around 5 times). Normally how long it took you guys to break in the shoes?

I also found the shoes slippery due to the shoes don't rubber on the bottom. What you guy would do? Send to shoe cobbler to add the rubber sole? Any shop recommendations? What's the price range?

TIA
Depends on the shoe but my Yanko took 10 or so wears before I could wear it without plaster.

I 2nd wearing it til it gets rougher

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 3 using GAGT
 

Desember

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
BNIB Barker Jensen Cedar Calf in Size UK10.5 for sale

Hi, I have a BNIB Barker Jensen in Cedar Calf Leather, as well as with a matching Barker belt, for sale. I'm selling it as it's slightly too big, such a waste as it's very nice.

Full brogue Wingtip
7mm Leather Sole
Goodyear Welted
Size UK 10.5, Euro 44

Retails for around 220 pounds, I'm letting go for SGD290, or SGD400 with the matching Barker calf leather belt.

Pictures on barker or robinsonsshoes websites.
PM me for more details.

OR you can search for it on Carousell (carousell.com/desember)
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
Thankfully, i never have to break in a pair of shoes.
If it fits, it is nice from the start. If it is too small, then it is another issue altogether.
 

wiz

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2000
Messages
2,058
Reaction score
0
Bought a pair of LLYR shoes recently. Still in the process of breaking in the shoes (around 5 times). Normally how long it took you guys to break in the shoes?

I also found the shoes slippery due to the shoes don't rubber on the bottom. What you guy would do? Send to shoe cobbler to add the rubber sole? Any shop recommendations? What's the price range?

TIA

I picked the pair that fits, it should feel comfortable and no "breaking in" for me. Wored them as it is and my pair felt ok after 3 wears, yes it does fell a bit slippery but I think just do not treat them like sneakers and you should be ok
 

cokiee

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
1,158
Reaction score
0
I also found the shoes slippery due to the shoes don't rubber on the bottom. What you guy would do? Send to shoe cobbler to add the rubber sole? Any shop recommendations? What's the price range?

TIA

Leather soles could take a while to get used to, especially if you work in carpeted areas, but generally as you walk around a bit more it should get better as the soles roughen up. That said, if you're really uncomfortable, the process you've described is often called "Topy-in", even though the brand may not be such. Have a quick search around here for "Topy" and you should be able to find a few leads. :)
 

Shiro MS08th

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
2
I wanted to try their boots as well. But decided to get a pair of cheaney boots @199 pounds instead. One of the best decision in my life... Super comfortable pair of boots and looks great for my wedding~

That's great!

I think for Txture, it's a great budget MTO option, superb value. But their response rate and customer service is something really need to be improve.
 

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,764
Reaction score
789
Hey LHB.... I know you aren't super interested in GYW stuff.
But I recall you being interested in "traditionally" tanned "Russian" calf.
Check out C&J's new stuff..... from an English tannery.
So apart from Yufte calf, there's now this.....
http://www.crockettandjones.com/news/index/aw16-russian-grain

Haha, I'm fine with GYW, it just has to be commensurate with its value. Not a big fan of makers (eg G&G) who charge such a significant premium and yet resort to GYW

Great link btw, will be interesting to see how this develops! Looks like a visit to C&J will be in order when I'm in the UK end of this year :p

Cheers man!
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Haha, I'm fine with GYW, it just has to be commensurate with its value. Not a big fan of makers (eg G&G) who charge such a significant premium and yet resort to GYW

Great link btw, will be interesting to see how this develops! Looks like a visit to C&J will be in order when I'm in the UK end of this year :p

Cheers man!

I agree with you a million % on the bit about some English makers charging prices not commensurate with quality.
Well, I guess I'm kind of glad it's C&J, so it's not as bad as G&G.
Baker is a pretty good tannery, so I think this will be an interesting product.
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
I am a fan of the more traditional English makers like Loake and Cheaney.
They charge reasonably low prices and have 'reasonable' quality. Instead of creating the 'aura' of quality through marketing.
I find Loake incredibly comfortable to wear. Not as comfortable as EG, but a fraction of the costs.
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
I am a fan of the more traditional English makers like Loake and Cheaney.
They charge reasonably low prices and have 'reasonable' quality. Instead of creating the 'aura' of quality through marketing.
I find Loake incredibly comfortable to wear. Not as comfortable as EG, but a fraction of the costs.

Unfortunately brands like EG, GG have become luxury brand equivalents in English shoemaking.. Not unlike swiss watch industry, charging a premium more for their reputation than quality.
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
Unfortunately brands like EG, GG have become luxury brand equivalents in English shoemaking.. Not unlike swiss watch industry, charging a premium more for their reputation than quality.

Agree. But EG has a legacy of being years, decades in this business.
G&G does not. But have created a name for themselves being known for more fashion forward lasts.
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
All fair points.
But to be totally honest, having a legacy really isn't an objective indicator of any sort of quality.
The fact remains though, that at the price point of EG, GG, GC, JL.... there are makers who make infinitesimally better shoes.
The "high end" English makers, are simply .... irrelevant.
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
Very fair points @thundermarch.

Always think one should buy what one finds comfortable, good and 'affordable'.
Not what is flavour of the month.
 

supernova

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
1,067
Reaction score
0
Has anyone tried the brand "oriental" from world footwear gallery in Tokyo? Any reviews? They are Japanese RTW GYW shoes with a very closely cut welt (pictures can be seen on wfg's Instagram). Would like some reviews before buying, if possible!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top