Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hysteria88

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
is it okay or stupid to buy a pair of carmina/sepitieme largeur/meermin for daily wear? should i just spend 25% those for something else since it's for daily wear?

I have a pair of aldo and archules which I wear for work, but feel like splurging on another pair of shoes. I also have a pair of loafers from Andres Sendra which I wear fortnightly kind.

Due to ig temptations, I'm looking at single monks/classic derby lately, hence considering between a $700 pair or $150 pair.
 

supernova

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
1,067
Reaction score
0
Yes. For Lusso the minimum is 4 as well.
Not so much the retailer that imposes the minimum, but the maker.

Most makers impose a 6 pair minimum, some 8.
So 4 is relatively easy I think.
Good luck.
I'm sorry. I have to tap out. Have in mind some other things that I'm going to try out. So I can't commit for this.

3 possible gmto make ups I certainly don't mind joining (tho not all at once!):

1. Derby shoes with chained norvegese welt. Seems nice with their rubber millerighe soles. Not sure if it's too adventurous in lama or grained calf. Probably in 74945 last.

7d91cb32_10603644_831371673608926_2051940157470490195_n.jpeg


2. Lazyman. Looks nice in either calf or suede (see skoak's Facebook!). Will probably look nice on 804 last and bombe carved waist.

12748310_194639980896839_48264695_n.jpg


3. Chelsea. May be nice in suede. Probably 74945 last and carved bombe waist

Enzo-Bonafe-2553-Hidro-Tabacco-1_1024x1024.jpg
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
3 possible gmto make ups I certainly don't mind joining (tho not all at once!):

1. Derby shoes with chained norvegese welt. Seems nice with their rubber millerighe soles. Not sure if it's too adventurous in lama or grained calf. Probably in 74945 last.

7d91cb32_10603644_831371673608926_2051940157470490195_n.jpeg


2. Lazyman. Looks nice in either calf or suede (see skoak's Facebook!). Will probably look nice on 804 last and bombe carved waist.

12748310_194639980896839_48264695_n.jpg


3. Chelsea. May be nice in suede. Probably 74945 last and carved bombe waist

Enzo-Bonafe-2553-Hidro-Tabacco-1_1024x1024.jpg

I would like a plain "wholecut" lazy man. Like a low cut chelsea boot!

But first, the button boots!
 

walk_the_talk

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2016
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
That's a pity.. My ideal design would be button closure at the tongue area similar to the JFP pair, but with 360 suede balmoral like how it is with the EB!

Will you guys consider a pair of button boots instead? I will be keen to hop in if you all are open to that
 

Darknight55

Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2002
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
is it okay or stupid to buy a pair of carmina/sepitieme largeur/meermin for daily wear? should i just spend 25% those for something else since it's for daily wear?

I have a pair of aldo and archules which I wear for work, but feel like splurging on another pair of shoes. I also have a pair of loafers from Andres Sendra which I wear fortnightly kind.

Due to ig temptations, I'm looking at single monks/classic derby lately, hence considering between a $700 pair or $150 pair.

If you rotate your shoes, do shoe maintenance periodically, price of the shoes won't matter. The important thing is finding one that fits your feet, your look/style.
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
is it okay or stupid to buy a pair of carmina/sepitieme largeur/meermin for daily wear? should i just spend 25% those for something else since it's for daily wear?

I have a pair of aldo and archules which I wear for work, but feel like splurging on another pair of shoes. I also have a pair of loafers from Andres Sendra which I wear fortnightly kind.

Due to ig temptations, I'm looking at single monks/classic derby lately, hence considering between a $700 pair or $150 pair.


My experience with shoes tell me that it may be better for you to learn about your own feet and preferences by starting with shoes at a more modest cost and venture from them if you so desire.

Unless budget is never a concern, and the question is then moot.
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Hi Folks,

I just chanced upon this forum and would like to learn more about good and comfortable working shoes as I always happened to buy not so good one and I think it is affecting my health or condition unconsciously.

I have a flat and wide feet and many models offered usually dont cater this. I prefer soft leather too for flexible movement and I started to think semi boot height might be better for full support? And whether wood or rubber sole is better?

Appreciate if anyone has any info about my above condition and preference - any model to recommend and for me to try?

Thanks in advance for your help - bookmarking this thread :)

I think there is no easy answer to this.
The scope of discussion (and also most of the knowledge) here is centred mainly around factory made GYW shoes.
You have specific orthopaedic considerations (wide and flat feet) that are typically not addressed by run of the mill RTW shoes, GYW or otherwise.

I think I will approach your questions by addressing these areas:

1) Flat feet
Unfortunately, this is a very common problem and there's no easy answer to this. The main problem here is medial arch collapse and most orthopaedic measures and focused on arch support.
In other words, the best solution is a personalised insole custom made by a podiatrist. It costs a fair bit, but is quite helpful. And the specific insole and how it's worn depends on your specific gait problems and the symptoms experienced. While certainly very helpful, they are rather bulky and you might need rather bulky, ungainly work shoes to accommodate for this.
I've personally used such insoles before due to injuries I sustained from distance running (I have flat feet too), and the main thing is to look for shoes that have sufficient height to account for the arch support of the insole. Width isn't so much of a problem as the insoles can be cut down to the required size.
If you are very concerned about the appearance and aesthetics, and if your symptoms are very significant, I am afraid the next best solution would be to go bespoke. Specifically with bespoke makers who have training in orthopaedic problems. You can look at Kenji Hashimoto (on Instagram). He has incorporated numerous orthopaedic techniques into his shoe / last making to account for problems like hallux valgus, diabetic feet, etc. His shoemaking skills are also top notch. Even regular bespoke makers (no orthopaedic training) have issues with fitting flat footed guys. And even then, their primary concern would be to create an aesthetically pleasing last while accomodating your feet. And the ortheopaedic issues might not be fully addressed.
If you are very keen on having a nice pair of GYW shoes and have your insole. Your best bet would be to get your insole done up first, and then bring it down to perhaps Robinson's or wherever it is where you can get the shoes of your choice, and try and fit the shoes, with the insole inside it. You will need a pair of scissors.

Of course, apart from footwear, there are also other treatment modalities for flat feet... like weight loss / physiotherapy and conditioning / gait training / correcting your running form etc etc.
Medical treatment is frequently not one-dimensional.

2) Wide feet
(In your case), probably a consequence of flat feet, due to the arch collapse and splaying of the feet outwards.
This issue can be addressed with varying widths of RTW shoes, GYW or otherwise. Or by the nature of the last.
Unfortunately, most RTW come in "standard" widths. A way to go around it would be to MTO your shoes and choose a wider width, but this would require prior knowledge and experience with the last of your choice.
Your best bet here would be to go try on some shoes that are made in lasts that are known to be "generous" or "wide" in their regular width. Like perhaps Loake Capital, Carmina Soller / Detroit etc....

3) Good shoes
As I'd mentioned earlier, most of the discussion on this thread is centred around GYW shoes and shoes that are of "better quality" construction compared to Aldo / Pedro cemented, mass produced stuff. So if you're coming here and mentioning that you buy "not so good" shoes I assume that this might be one of your considerations?
Thing is, the fact that the shoes are made with full grain leather and GYW, might not have significant direct impact on improving your problems with flat feet. In fact, the relative stiffness of these shoes due to the very nature of the construction (the presence of gemming does confer a certain stiffness to the shoes) may make it even more painful for you at least initially.
The subject of good / better made shoes, and having them, relates directly to the longevity, durability, and to some extent, the aesthetics, of the shoes. And also starts delving into the realm of classic menswear and "looking good".

4) Soles
I do not know of any shoes with wooden soles apart from clogs.
That being said, the most common sole materials discussed are either leather, or rubber.
The reasons behind the choice would be both stylistic, and practicality.
If stiffness is a concern (and rightfully so in your case), then I would discourage double leather soles, and double dainite (rubber) soles.
Single dainite and single leather soles are more or less equally flexible imo.
Most people choose rubber soles for wet weather shoes, and may also choose to topy their soles for this very reason. I also find that rubber soles wear down at the toe less quickly than leather (this is ostensibly due one's gait, and to some extent, the fit).
There has also been discussion regarding rubber soles being less slippery than new (or relatively new) leather soled shoes. I have experienced no such thing and will not comment further.

5) Ankle high boots?
I don't think ankle high boots or chukkas are going to address your issue here with regards to "full support" for flat feet. As mentioned earlier, the main issue here is arch support. The fact that ankle boots have uppers extending to just above your ankle, may in fact, confer some restriction to ankle movement, which may or may not be a good thing for you. There might be some additional support if you have some form of ankle instability, but I'm just hazarding a guess here. Pes planus (flat feet) may in fact cause earlier degenerative changes in the ankle that may in turn cause ankle rigidity, that would be made worse with restrictive boots.
I would recommend ankle boots / chukkas only if it's your stylistic choice.
 
Last edited:

lumin87

Member
Joined
May 23, 2005
Messages
258
Reaction score
0
Hi Folks,

I just chanced upon this forum and would like to learn more about good and comfortable working shoes as I always happened to buy not so good one and I think it is affecting my health or condition unconsciously.

I have a flat and wide feet and many models offered usually dont cater this. I prefer soft leather too for flexible movement and I started to think semi boot height might be better for full support? And whether wood or rubber sole is better?

Appreciate if anyone has any info about my above condition and preference - any model to recommend and for me to try?

Thanks in advance for your help - bookmarking this thread :)
Same problem as you. Loake used to have a series that catered to wide widths (G width) called evolution
that worked for me. Model name was Holborn I think. But I think they may have rebranded it or something

Not very traditional in terms of construction (because it uses synthetic materials for the insole etc) , but the price is decent and was comfortable for me. Leather outsole, full grain uppers.

Can consider giving it a shot, but not sure if stocked locally. I purchaded from plal in KL couple years back.

Sent from here using GAGT
 

evangel21

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2016
Messages
105
Reaction score
4
3 possible gmto make ups I certainly don't mind joining (tho not all at once!):

2. Lazyman. Looks nice in either calf or suede (see skoak's Facebook!). Will probably look nice on 804 last and bombe carved waist.

12748310_194639980896839_48264695_n.jpg


I'll be interested to join the gmto of the lazy man if it happens. Great for work travels.
 
Last edited:

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
A word of caution for those who are keen on lazyman oxfords.
You should be familiar with the last you choose and it should be very very very snug.
There are no laces to help correct for looseness if any.

Not painful,
BUT
Very very very snug.
 

slow_mo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
6,503
Reaction score
10
Takashimaya having sale this weekend. Any recommendations for off the shelf GYW shoes?
 

K|muRa^84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
36,811
Reaction score
6
By the way, guys, if anyone is interested, I'll probably be letting go of quite a bit of my shoes.
If there's anything on my IG, that's Goodyear welted, and you're interested in it, drop me a msg. Apart from some with sentimental value, I'll prob be ok with parting ways with it.
Generally most of my shoes are lightly worn and in pretty good condition.
I'm a uk8.5 in most stuff. 9 in some.

i blame my parents for giving me UK7.5 feet :s13:
 

evangel21

Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2016
Messages
105
Reaction score
4
A word of caution for those who are keen on lazyman oxfords.
You should be familiar with the last you choose and it should be very very very snug.
There are no laces to help correct for looseness if any.

Not painful,
BUT
Very very very snug.
Noted. I don't have experience with the 804 so best is to try first when Ryan's stock arrives. In your experience with EB's lazyman, how much did you size down for the 804?

On a side note, would like to hear your thoughts on shipping from SkoakB. I understand that using FedEx runs the risk of the hidden charges on top of the GST, whereas using postal services may siam GST even though you have to pay for it. Would it then be better to pay the shipping fee for postal service instead of FedEx? Thanks!
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Noted. I don't have experience with the 804 so best is to try first when Ryan's stock arrives. In your experience with EB's lazyman, how much did you size down for the 804?

On a side note, would like to hear your thoughts on shipping from SkoakB. I understand that using FedEx runs the risk of the hidden charges on top of the GST, whereas using postal services may siam GST even though you have to pay for it. Would it then be better to pay the shipping fee for postal service instead of FedEx? Thanks!

I sized down 0.5 for the 804.
It will definitely be too long / high in 8.5 (my normal size).

Currently, for one pair of EB shoes at 4320 SEK.....

Option 1)
You get free shipping with FedEx but pay GST (almost 100% certainty)
- Roughly $60 SGD (there is $10 handling fee on top of 7% GST)

There have been instances where those who were receiving a GMTO did not get hit. Because there are 2 invoices each for 50% of the value of the shoe. So FedEx might miscalculate the true amount.

Option 2)
You pay an extra 400SEK for Swedish post and 95% chance you escape GST (In over 40 shipments with Swedish Post I only got hit by GST once)
- Roughly $66 SGD

Not much difference as you can see.
For 2 pairs or more..... pay the extra 400SEK.

You can extrapolate this to most other "national" postal services.
Royal mail and Parcelforce for UK.
USPS for USA.
Etc etc....
Usually if it goes through Singpost / Speedpost, you're cool.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top