Yen Exchange Rate Watch

zx

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,387
Reaction score
48
No, beginning of the week and end of the week is bad timing for exchanging money. Mid-week is the best.

OT: Buying souvenirs from Disneyland can be quite expensive. You are better off buying fridge magnets from Oriental Bazaar at Omotesando (Harajuku). I don't know your definition of unique, but it has many Japanese themed pics on it, and it's cheap. They sell in a pack. You can take out and distribute to people.

Closer relatives, if they are young-ish, you can buy UT t-shirts in a can for them. Some of them go for only 500yen. Again, exclusive to Japan, cheap and cute (to me).

For me, I don't wanna bother with buying things for people if I have to rack my brains to think what they like. I rather see something they may like and buy it for them. If I have to rack my brains to buy them something, I don't know them that well anyway :D
 

stars87

Master Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,894
Reaction score
0
No, beginning of the week and end of the week is bad timing for exchanging money. Mid-week is the best.

OT: Buying souvenirs from Disneyland can be quite expensive. You are better off buying fridge magnets from Oriental Bazaar at Omotesando (Harajuku). I don't know your definition of unique, but it has many Japanese themed pics on it, and it's cheap. They sell in a pack. You can take out and distribute to people.

Closer relatives, if they are young-ish, you can buy UT t-shirts in a can for them. Some of them go for only 500yen. Again, exclusive to Japan, cheap and cute (to me).

For me, I don't wanna bother with buying things for people if I have to rack my brains to think what they like. I rather see something they may like and buy it for them. If I have to rack my brains to buy them something, I don't know them that well anyway :D

thank you for the recommendations ! will take note of them. :D
 

Boeing787

Master Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
2,611
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the tips ! I know one thing for sure is going to grab as many Ayumi Hamasaki's goodies from there ! Going to setaside around $300 for her stuffs. :)
 

stars87

Master Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,894
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the tips ! I know one thing for sure is going to grab as many Ayumi Hamasaki's goodies from there ! Going to setaside around $300 for her stuffs. :)

dude. thats not enough i think

O.T : 1 pop CD album in japan on average costs between 3-3.5k yen. (brand new)

thats 50 bucks per CD. 6 CDs and you are out of cash. much less if they are those large mega-box sets or special limited edition stuff.
 

chanvh

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
654
Reaction score
0
Ok, I want to come back to topic a bit: Just check this at posting time. Mustafa website

JPY Japanese Yen 1,000 15.6100 15.8500

Not too bad... but still can go lower than that. Anyone knows Raffles Place arcade area got which kind of rate for change of $2,000 and above?
 

chanvh

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
654
Reaction score
0
stars87, I'm not too sure about that. never changed with Mustafa or Raffles Place before. But there's one local counter here near my place in Hougang Point, they close at 2pm or something like that.

I read somewhere: last year June 2008, rates was like 12.8 ?? will it ever go down to that rate or its like "lets face it - 15 or leave it for 2009?" What do you think?
 

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
Ok, I want to come back to topic a bit: Just check this at posting time. Mustafa website

JPY Japanese Yen 1,000 15.6100 15.8500

Not too bad... but still can go lower than that. Anyone knows Raffles Place arcade area got which kind of rate for change of $2,000 and above?

they dun give discount for changing $2000. unless u really change a LOT. my fren changed $8000 also no discount
 

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
stars87, I'm not too sure about that. never changed with Mustafa or Raffles Place before. But there's one local counter here near my place in Hougang Point, they close at 2pm or something like that.

I read somewhere: last year June 2008, rates was like 12.8 ?? will it ever go down to that rate or its like "lets face it - 15 or leave it for 2009?" What do you think?


unlikely will go down to 12.8 so fast lah.
the last time is was 15+ was 2005. it took 2 year to go down to 12.5 in 2007
 

chanvh

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
654
Reaction score
0
Thanks. Just asking because feel like its a really vast difference. But will have to live with this rate for this year then.

I went to check the local exchange here, he closes at 8.30pm. But quoted me 16.2 (vomit blood).

Think better go to Mustafa or Raffles place if want to have reasonable rates. At least can buy some good sweets and dessert with the extra Yen to be gained.
 
Last edited:

stars87

Master Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,894
Reaction score
0
unlikely will go down to 12.8 so fast lah.
the last time is was 15+ was 2005. it took 2 year to go down to 12.5 in 2007

i agree.

economic fundamentals are completely different from 2007 and today. doubt the SGD YEN rate will ever be so good anytime soon. unless economic miracle recovery and the US consumer starts spending like there's no tomorrow, doubt we'd see any dramatic drop to 12.8.

@chanvh,

mustafa/change alley usually offers better rate. the chinatown one (beside the famous bak kwa stall) also offers pretty decent rates.

change alley (IMO) i think are where the major suppliers/players are located (money changers). competition there amongst them drives the rate down. i think they are leveraging off their location (near the financial centre, easy to change/buy forex from banks) to be nimble to market fluctuations, hence can offer better overall rate.

change alley dosent open on weekends because the bank activity/human traffic around there is dead/nonexistent. very little activity in shenton way on weekends.
 
Last edited:

chanvh

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
654
Reaction score
0
Thanks stars87. I was just thinking about the feasibility and will go down the moment we see an agreed rate of closer to 15.7 this being said going in midweek would be my choice for now since I'm on leave this Tuesday. Will take your advise on the ones close to Bak Kwa stall. Where do you 'pesonally' change in phases usually?

My logic is like this:

$1600 = JPY100,000 -> this is the average high I've been seeing past week.

so, any change of a few 0.1 points is $10 fluctations for every JPY100,000 sets I want to change. But well, since my change is about $5K like this for everything I'll be saving or losing ~$130 like this. Not a very very big diff but definitely substantial to pay for other expenses (such as 1 night hotel stay).
 

stars87

Master Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,894
Reaction score
0
Will take your advise on the ones close to Bak Kwa stall.
that one is sister Telur recomendation. their exchange rates havent been particularly nice to me

Where do you 'pesonally' change in phases usually?
which ever store gives me the best rate at the place where i go down to change, e.g chinatown or at change alley ? why your qn so weird ? :look:

My logic is like this:

$1600 = JPY100,000 -> this is the average high I've been seeing past week.

so, any change of a few 0.1 points is $10 fluctations for every JPY100,000 sets I want to change. But well, since my change is about $5K like this for everything I'll be saving or losing ~$130 like this. Not a very very big diff but definitely substantial to pay for other expenses (such as 1 night hotel stay).

thats why there's this thread. every one is trying to get the best rate/can help us "save" on exchange rate expenditure.
 

zx

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,387
Reaction score
48
I heard if you have friends working in a bank, they can get even better than those published rates at Change Alley. But I don't have any lobang.
 

chanvh

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
654
Reaction score
0
ZX, Sure a not... my father in law is a banker. can get new notes for CNY. But not particularly for better rates, unless you're in for a large change. But he's retired since :)

Stars87, thanks. maybe they give better rates for sisters?? LOL !

Forget I asked, because thought you had a strategy for 1 particular shop to change all the time. Like a 'regular customer' rate or something. I can usually get good EURO at the one here locally but anyway, dun wanna OT so we'll continue on for the JPY rates.
 

bryando

Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
457
Reaction score
2
Just to clear the air.......I used to work in a Bank (up to abt 2 years ago.....)

Yes -> you get "staff rate" when you do FX, not necessary to be big amounts.

No -> Its not necessary better than money changer, depends on the currency you wants, some better, some worse....
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top