Opening Malaysian bank account

heng49

Reaction score
Just got letter from climb my to close my account as passport expired. If I let it closes itself will the bank still charge me any fee? Cos may consider reopen next time.
Bank ac was closed 2 days after expiration of passport.
May I know u get back remaining funds ?

badkham07

Reaction score
i have a CIMB MY account, atm and debit card. However, as I have not been able to use the card for the past 2 years, i think it has been deactivated.

Anyone knows what's the easiest way to re-activate the card? The account was open through CIMB SG.

Thanks.

xsoldix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have a CIMB MY account, atm and debit card. However, as I have not been able to use the card for the past 2 years, i think it has been deactivated.

Anyone knows what's the easiest way to re-activate the card? The account was open through CIMB SG.

Thanks.
Call them (MY number).

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks like with CIMB MY, everything also have to either go there or call them from here.

About the bank account expiry maybe you can call/write to SG side to seek advice. But the updating of passport info have to be done either there, or call first to get instructions to do it via email or the likes.

I've no clue about the MY funds if they close the account, though.

cassowary18

Reaction score
Just wanted to check now that borders are open. Anyone opened UOB account recently in Malaysia?

xsoldix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks like with CIMB MY, everything also have to either go there or call them from here.

About the bank account expiry maybe you can call/write to SG side to seek advice. But the updating of passport info have to be done either there, or call first to get instructions to do it via email or the likes.

I've no clue about the MY funds if they close the account, though.
That time i tried to update passport of my CIMB MY account from CIMB SG account.
The cute zeh zeh didnt want to, say that CIMB MY and SG is different, should go back there to do the admin stuffs.
but in the end took out a form and help me process my passport.

Recently, check my duitnow QR ID... got both passport ID in system...
those who free, can go try luck...

Just wanted to check now that borders are open. Anyone opened UOB account recently in Malaysia?
Why want to open UOB MY account?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That time i tried to update passport of my CIMB MY account from CIMB SG account.
The cute zeh zeh didnt want to, say that CIMB MY and SG is different, should go back there to do the admin stuffs.
but in the end took out a form and help me process my passport.

Recently, check my duitnow QR ID... got both passport ID in system...
those who free, can go try luck...
So actually CIMB SG has a means to help us then?

I've been wanting to go across the causeway as I'm not comfortable to do it online (SG side said have to call them and then email the documents, etc), but what's with the Covid numbers and now monkeypox, I really prefer not to travel over if possible.

Anyway, thanks for sharing... I might see about this possible alternative...

cryn79

Reaction score
I just went to the CIMB MY website to check on the opening hrs of the Bangunan UMNO, Johor Bahru, Jalan Segget branch ( nearest to CIQ).
I just saw that they no longer open on Sat. sad man.

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just went to the CIMB MY website to check on the opening hrs of the Bangunan UMNO, Johor Bahru, Jalan Segget branch ( nearest to CIQ).
I just saw that they no longer open on Sat. sad man.
ya i emailed them they say the same too.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those who opened your CIMB MY account through CIMB SG pre-Covid, chances are that your MY account's branch is the one in Jalan Kuning, near Plaza Pelangi. Thus your particulars are with them.

IMO, just go directly there to get your documentation settled if your passport's expiring, unless you don't intend to use your account anymore. The other way is to call CIMB KL(?) and thereafter send copies of relevant documents to them.

The ATM (cum Debit Card?) will be blocked once it's not used within a year.

At the branch in JB, documents they want to see include our old and new passport, SG NRIC, and another ID like a driver's license or credit card with your name on it.

(Don't ask me why they need this or that, above info shared with me and I just share it here.) Can write to them or call if you need black & white or "confirmed" info before action.)

If trying to do it through the help of CIMB SG, I was told they'll only help to send but we still have to contact MY side ourselves to see if they've received, etc.

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score
Those who opened your CIMB MY account through CIMB SG pre-Covid, chances are that your MY account's branch is the one in Jalan Kuning, near Plaza Pelangi. Thus your particulars are with them.

IMO, just go directly there to get your documentation settled if your passport's expiring, unless you don't intend to use your account anymore. The other way is to call CIMB KL(?) and thereafter send copies of relevant documents to them.

The ATM (cum Debit Card?) will be blocked once it's not used within a year.

At the branch in JB, documents they want to see include our old and new passport, SG NRIC, and another ID like a driver's license or credit card with your name on it.

(Don't ask me why they need this or that, above info shared with me and I just share it here.) Can write to them or call if you need black & white or "confirmed" info before action.)

If trying to do it through the help of CIMB SG, I was told they'll only help to send but we still have to contact MY side ourselves to see if they've received, etc.
Maintaining the CIMB MY account seems so troublesome, made worse by the SG and MY side refusing to talk to each other. I thought of opening a CIMB MY account but most of my trips are for holiday/day trips, not buying house or big assets. Credit cards, Youtrip worked fine for me. I already have CIMB SG account which allows me to withdraw cash at MY CIMB ATMs.
Is it worth the hassle of having a CIMB MY account if you're not working/living in MY?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maintaining the CIMB MY account seems so troublesome, made worse by the SG and MY side refusing to talk to each other. I thought of opening a CIMB MY account but most of my trips are for holiday/day trips, not buying house or big assets. Credit cards, Youtrip worked fine for me. I already have CIMB SG account which allows me to withdraw cash at MY CIMB ATMs.
Is it worth the hassle of having a CIMB MY account if you're not working/living in MY?
Depends on individuals, not everyone will find it a hassle. Like if it's not exactly inconvenient to go over to get things done, as some may actually be staying in areas not that difficult to go over, or others who're already going over every other week for dinner, etc. Some of their branch locations aren't really far from places where many of us normally go...

This time round it's mainly because of the Covid restrictions that had the borders closed. Like over here in SG, those thousands of people having their passport applicants stuck for weeks upon weeks, it's not going to stop them from wanting to travel, right?

Now that our passport validity is 10 years, that's one issue taken away already. As for the use of the ATM card, once a year's withdrawal isn't exactly difficult unless it's someone who goes over once every 2 or more years.

End of the day, just do what works for you, don't have to do it just because many do.

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone applied for new CIMB MY account recently? the CIMB SG website don't seem to mention this service anymore

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i dun think its troublesome,if u frequent go jb. of course if u dun go jb often it will be troublesome n pointless to keep/maintain. like what habrosus mention, depends on individuals.

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score
i dun think its troublesome,if u frequent go jb. of course if u dun go jb often it will be troublesome n pointless to keep/maintain. like what habrosus mention, depends on individuals.
I go JB often, have a CIMB SG account and it lets me withdraw cash at the ATM in JB based on the current exchange rates. Nowadays don't use much cash there since there is TnG e-wallet, Youtrip etc.

I know if you have CIMB SG and MY accounts, you can change money and store when exchange rate is favourable but I think the savings are small which is why I haven't made the next step to open and maintain the CIMB MY account. If you are buying house or car in MY then yes, clocking in and storing money when exchange rate is good will be helpful.

Yeah agreed, depends on individuals.

aquanark

Reaction score
Sharing my recent experience opening a CIMB MY account by CIMB SG @ Raffles place branch.
The below info was shared to me when I asked the CIMB bank staff who served me.

1. Need to book an appointment prior to going down to open a CIMB MY acct.
2. CIMB SG helps you to open a CIMB MY account by filling in the forms, verifying your details and sending them to CIMB MY for approval. You will need to bring your NRIC and Passport, ensure the PP expiry is not less than 6 months.
3. The CIMB MY account is "AirAsia savers" account. Annual fee is RM15 which is the cheapest among the rest.
4. CIMB MY account will closed once your passport expires.
5. To ensure CIMB MY account not closed prematurely, you have two options:
a. Go to CIMB MY bank, show them your old and new passport, so that they can update your CIMB MY account details.
b. Go to CIMB SG branch, tell them to assist you to update your CIMB MY account, they will assist you to fill in a form and submit to CIMB MY for approval.
6. CIMB SG don't accept RM for deposit. You will have to transfer SGD to RM via I-banking (CIMB Clicks SG app)
7. Only one CIMB MY debit card issued per account. Can't request for two or more.

If anyone has more to add to help others, please do so. Thanks.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sharing my recent experience opening a CIMB MY account by CIMB SG @ Raffles place branch.
The below info was shared to me when I asked the CIMB bank staff who served me.

1. Need to book an appointment prior to going down to open a CIMB MY acct.
2. CIMB SG helps you to open a CIMB MY account by filling in the forms, verifying your details and sending them to CIMB MY for approval. You will need to bring your NRIC and Passport, ensure the PP expiry is not less than 6 months.
3. The CIMB MY account is "AirAsia savers" account. Annual fee is RM15 which is the cheapest among the rest.
4. CIMB MY account will closed once your passport expires.
5. To ensure CIMB MY account not closed prematurely, you have two options:
a. Go to CIMB MY bank, show them your old and new passport, so that they can update your CIMB MY account details.
b. Go to CIMB SG branch, tell them to assist you to update your CIMB MY account, they will assist you to fill in a form and submit to CIMB MY for approval.
6. CIMB SG don't accept RM for deposit. You will have to transfer SGD to RM via I-banking (CIMB Clicks SG app)
7. Only one CIMB MY debit card issued per account. Can't request for two or more.

If anyone has more to add to help others, please do so. Thanks.
Good info, thanks for sharing. đź‘Ť

Something I realized is that CIMB SG can only help us submit the documents after verification. It's up to ourselves to follow up with CIMB MY to ensure that they receive the documents in time for processing.

On Point 5a, my experience with CIMB MY is that they've to see our NRIC as wel.
- With the thought of going to the nearby shopping mall after the errand, I visited CIMB Southkey. I'd only brought the 2 passports but they asked for my physical NRIC for verification as well. I didn't have that on me as I don't normally travel with it. I was then advised to visit the branch in Pelangi as their records showed that my account was opened there, and only they'd have my NRIC in their records to consider making an exception to me not having it physically.

On Point 5b, ensure that you don't wait for the last minute before approaching CIMB SG as there may be a delay in the documents in transit.
- I decided to approach CIMB SG when the borders had just open and I wasn't sure if I should travel over just to run that errand when Covid numbers weren't exactly low, and I didn't want to get into the way of Malaysians heading home for the first time after 2 years.
- But during the time when my documents should be on transit if not already received (after about a week), I received a final reminder letter from KL(?) snail mail...
- Though I still had some weeks before my deadline, I finally decided to head over to JB than calling them, having to go through verifications over the line, etc.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.