Singtel 1 Gbps Fibre

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi xiaofan,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I do not use Singtel TV box.

I am thinking if the S$39.90 per month with free Wifi 5 router/AP is sufficient as I need good and stable connection for zoom, or if I need to get the S$42.90 per month with free Wifi 6 router/AP.

Both come with lousy Singtel router so I do not know if they are good for you or not.

What is your current router? Are you using ONT or ONR?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My current router is the AC Plus with ONT.

That is the worst router from all ISPs. So the current wireless performance is expeced to be bad.

If your budget is low and would like to try the free Wifi 5 or Wif 6 router, go ahead. The basic free Wifi 5 router (Singtel Mesh Router) or Wifi 6 router (Singtel Airties 4960R router) are not great, but at least much better than the AC Plus.

But I will still suggest go for the better wireless router like the Asus RT-AX86U.

boobip

Reaction score
Hi xiaofan,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I do not use Singtel TV box.

I am thinking if the S$39.90 per month with free Wifi 5 router/AP is sufficient as I need good and stable connection for zoom, or if I need to get the S$42.90 per month with free Wifi 6 router/AP.

I'd also recommend Netgear or Asus products for good and stable connections. Somemore, with multiple household members all using devices concurrently, internet traffic gets patchy as u've mentioned. The bottomline is that U're not getting the optimal wifi experience with telco bundled routers/mesh systems. Don't feel bad, I was in the same situation as you for a looong time until I chanced upon this subforum 2 years ago.

U mentioned 'ONT', is it the 'ALU' (Alcatel-Lucent) brand?

Maybe also ask your friends/closer colleagues (the more tech savvy ones) if they have an old <Wifi 5 Asus router> that's lying around unused (and working) after they'd upgraded to wifi 6. Borrow the router over a month to test it out. Asus routers have setup wizards that contain Singtel internet configurations that you can choose from a drop down list, so that eases the anxiety of users not so proficient in networking stuff.

And also, do consider other telcos since u're not using Singtel TV or on Singtel Circles. Just use the rates xiaofan quoted as bargaining chip with them. If my mum isn't so dependant on the Singtel TV channels (she's got channel numbers hardwired to her brain and I don't want to rock the boat), I'd have switched ISPs long ago.

cindytsang

Reaction score
Hi xiaofan and boobip,

Thanks for your replies.

My current 1GB plan is a legacy plan that I haven't recontract long time ago, which is why my router is the AC plus. My ONT is from ZTE.

Looks like what I can do is to recontract at least the wifi 5 plan but use a 3rd party router like Asus RT-AX82U, But will Singtel force me to change the ONT to ONR?

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi xiaofan and boobip,

Thanks for your replies.

My current 1GB plan is a legacy plan that I haven't recontract long time ago, which is why my router is the AC plus. My ONT is from ZTE.

Looks like what I can do is to recontract at least the wifi 5 plan but use a 3rd party router like Asus RT-AX82U, But will Singtel force me to change the ONT to ONR?

So long as your existing ONT is working well and you are not re-locating your Singtel service, re-contracting is not going to replace your ONT.

pacgov

Banned
Reaction score
Singtel very funny.

New subscribers give them free 5 mths.

So I can just cancel my no contract singnet account and immediately start a new contract so I can get the deal.

Bweebweee

Reaction score
Singtel very funny.

New subscribers give them free 5 mths.

So I can just cancel my no contract singnet account and immediately start a new contract so I can get the deal.
Their website now like got write 6 months. How to get that ah?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
5 or 6 mths but all for new subscribers only. That's why I thinking to cancel. Then immediately sign up.

You can negotiate with Singtel to get the following recontract offer.
1) S$39.90 per month with free Wifi 5 router/AP ( or maybe slightly higher now with GST increase)
2) S$42.90 per month with free Wifi 6 router/AP (or maybe slightly higher now with GST increase)

New users get 5 months free but then the price is S$53.40 per month with the free Wifi 6 router/AP.
S$53.40 x 19 / 24 = S$42.275 per month

Ref: https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/broadband/fibre-broadband-plans

pacgov

Banned
Reaction score
1) S$39.90 per month with free Wifi 5 router/AP ( or maybe slightly higher now with GST increase)
2) S$42.90 per month with free Wifi 6 router/AP (or maybe slightly higher now with GST increase)

New users get 5 months free but then the price is S$53.40 per month with the free Wifi 6 router/AP.

Ref: https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/broadband/fibre-broadband-plans
Thanks!

pacgov

Banned
Reaction score

How to negotiate?

I tried their whatsapp and its an AI.

Kept asking me go online to recontract.

Woof24

Master Member
Reaction score

seems like my nego skills not enough, asked for 39.90 the person kept declining and citing no such offer for 1gbps

pacgov

Banned
Reaction score
In that case, call Singtel and ask to be transferred to the retention department.
They don't really care about customer retention now.

I remembered 5 to 10 years ago. They will swoop in and call me 2 months before my contract is up.

Now, they don't bother to even send an email.

Their online recontract website is also a joke. It will direct me to their new subscriber promo site. Is it a hint from them telling me they don't care if I leave.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.