Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uraku Asia

Reaction score
I also want to check any bros have any luck with the digital signals at Chinatown area?

Hi Sir,
Digital signals is available in the island of Singapore now. Some places can just use the simple antenna (cost about $5 or less) will able to receive all the HD channels.But for some areas it may need super high gain indoor antenna with booster then it can receive well for all channels. If you pick the "right "antenna, then you can receive. So far we didn't encounter any of our local customers from West, East, North and Central feedback their place can't receive any digital signal with our STB and antenna.

xxxjhxxx

Master Member
Reaction score
need help on draco player! i have tried recording to my hdd using normal recording function (by just pressing the record button on the remote). question is how come the recording stops automatically after 2 hours? this has happened to all my recordings... including those using timer function. Am i missing something?? my hdd still has a lot of space left..

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
damn pissed off so long still no Ch 8 HD

that time I complain to starhub, their CSO keep insisting CH 103 is HD

stupid

Well here's an interesting incident today...

I had the Starhub technician come to my place to reactivate the cable network after renovation. And I asked him about the status of Channel 8 and he said yeah, it's not yet HD... but when I watched Channel 8, the images are sharper than Channel 5 HD... it's quite curious... there was this programme called the Voice of China. The programme is obviously imported from China and the top right corner of the video had a huge Channel 8 logo covering something, what it was covering I don't know... but the words 'High Definition' in Mandarin was clearly seen at the top right hand corner beside the Channel 8 logo... the image was pretty sharp... very good quality... so I guess Starhub is actually running HD (720p) on their Channel 103 now but they are not yet ready to say so officially... the picture quality is clearly superior to Channel 5 HD. Even the commercials looks sharper... and compared to the other channels like ChannelNewsAsia, Okto, Suria and Vansantham, Channel 8 was the sharpest...

In fact ChannelNewsAsia had one of the poorest quality... Okto looked good with some cartoons which I suspect are also HD streams...

By the way, I am using a 70" 1080p TV... so any imperfections are seriously amplified on screen...

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
need help on draco player! i have tried recording to my hdd using normal recording function (by just pressing the record button on the remote). question is how come the recording stops automatically after 2 hours? this has happened to all my recordings... including those using timer function. Am i missing something?? my hdd still has a lot of space left..

Could it be point no. 1 below?

Just to answer my own questions.

1. Recording to NTFS works! I time-recorded 2 hours strech of video & it is recorded into a single 8GB mts file. This is better than some tuner boxes that only allows one to record into a FAT32 USB device where the recording will be broken into multiple 4GB files.

2. subtitles work as & when available. See below.

3. When I use XBMC to analyse the recordings, it showed many of the programs are actually in dolby digital plus. Now that actual post a problem with my low end Philip receiver that actually have the dialogue came out from both center & the front left & front right speakers... I have no idea how to play dolby digital plus 5.1 audio correctly so far. Rightfully, dialogue is supposed to come out from center speaker only if it's decoded & played back correctly. Anybody knew how? This seemed to be supported by only very advanced receiver only. :s11::(

4 Question: how to record in other format than mts? Any expert can advice?

xlxyyh.jpg

oan4sy.jpg

2vbvvqf.jpg

2wn8oci.jpg

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I had the Starhub technician come to my place to reactivate the cable network after renovation. And I asked him about the status of Channel 8 and he said yeah, it's not yet HD... but when I watched Channel 8, the images are sharper than Channel 5 HD... it's quite curious... there was this programme called the Voice of China. The programme is obviously imported from China and the top right corner of the video had a huge Channel 8 logo covering something, what it was covering I don't know... but the words 'High Definition' in Mandarin was clearly seen at the top right hand corner beside the Channel 8 logo... the image was pretty sharp... very good quality... so I guess Starhub is actually running HD (720p) on their Channel 103 now but they are not yet ready to say so officially... the picture quality is clearly superior to Channel 5 HD. Even the commercials looks sharper... and compared to the other channels like ChannelNewsAsia, Okto, Suria and Vansantham, Channel 8 was the sharpest...

In fact ChannelNewsAsia had one of the poorest quality... Okto looked good with some cartoons which I suspect are also HD streams...

By the way, I am using a 70" 1080p TV... so any imperfections are seriously amplified on screen...

If there is no HD wording underneath the channel logo, then it's most likely not a HD source

sunsetbay

Reaction score

the chinese word "high def" & dolby 5.1 on the voice of china is watermarked from the program source~ even if u watch on analog ch8, the word is still there~ the big ch8 logo is covering the running ad & voice of china logo~ really spoil the show, if u ask me~

Ch103 is still 576i not HD yet~ and on HD5, depends on the program u are watching, like earlier they were re-running Just for Laughs Gags IV which was a very old show, the aspect format was 4:3 (SD) stretched to 16:9~ :s22:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know... but I trust my eyes lar... the picture quality is really different... at 70 inches, the difference is very obvious... and I am sitting about 10 feet from the TV only... can really see the difference especially the soap opera effect.

Some of the programmes are obviously shoehorned into the HD aspect ratio and look terrible. But really... the digital transmission is pretty impressive even at 576p standards... or it might really just be my TV's upscaler...

Last edited:

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I know... but I trust my eyes lar... the picture quality is really different... at 70 inches, the difference is very obvious... and I am sitting about 10 feet from the TV only... can really see the difference especially the soap opera effect.

Some of the programmes are obviously shoehorned into the HD aspect ratio and look terrible. But really... the digital transmission is pretty impressive even at 576p standards... or it might really just be my TV's upscaler...

In other words, Channel 8 is still in SD according to my Hubstation HD STB.

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That day when I scanned just by using my antenna cable not connecting to the Starthub box and I was surprised that I could received quite a few channels in HD and I thought I saw channel 8 is one of them as the picture quality really looked stunning as compared to the SD one and there is a HD logo on it if I am not mistaken.

By the way, I am staying at the West.

Now still waiting patiently for my antenna..........................:o

hwsinn

Reaction score
sNfsRNal.jpg

Daiso Large Paper Binder @ $2
Black or Silver doesn't matter, but i got the Silver one for aesthetics.
Daiso 0.55mm x 14m Copper Wire @ $2
I find that thicker ones will be better. There is also 0.9mm thickness available at Daiso.
UF Technology Balun Transformer @ $1
Sony DVD Jewel Case @ FREE

I only need 6 of the paper binders, i.e. $1.20
" about 40 cm worth of copper wire, i.e. $0.06

Hence 1 built set only cost $2.26! :eek:
(exclude workmanship :D)
I went to Daiso @ PS ytd and bought the wrong wire. I bought the Steel Wire instead as i didnt see the copper one (I remembered it was not silver but there was only silver ones there). So will the steel one work?

And also where can the balun transformer be bought from? Since one of the bros mentioned they do not carry it anymore.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I went to Daiso @ PS ytd and bought the wrong wire. I bought the Steel Wire instead as i didnt see the copper one (I remembered it was not silver but there was only silver ones there). So will the steel one work?

And also where can the balun transformer be bought from? Since one of the bros mentioned they do not carry it anymore.

Copper wire works better as it has a lower resistance, though steel will work also, since MediaCorp has had more transmitters to improve the signal reception for indoors.

SLS and SLT should still have them, otherwise buy from eBay liao lor.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try Space electronics in SLS. They carry it but different design. I'm going to test out the other balun transformer design and hope it works. See a few pages earlier.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score

If you have time, scout for it at SLS and SLT.

Scout the whole place.

Mike_Lim

Reaction score
That day when I scanned just by using my antenna cable not connecting to the Starthub box and I was surprised that I could received quite a few channels in HD and I thought I saw channel 8 is one of them as the picture quality really looked stunning as compared to the SD one and there is a HD logo on it if I am not mistaken.

By the way, I am staying at the West.

Now still waiting patiently for my antenna..........................:o

DVB-T2 channels
UHF27 - 522MHz
Channel U(SD)
Channel News Asia (SD)
okto (SD)

UHF29 - 538MHz
Suria (HD)
Channel 5 (HD)

UHF31 - 554MHz
Channel 8 (HD)
Vasantham (HD)

DVB-T channels (610 MHz)
Channel 5 (SD)
Channel 8 (SD)
CNA (SD)
Channel 5 (HD)

Kiddream

Master Member
Reaction score
Great news! StarHub will be launching HD8, Suria and Vasantham HD on 28th August. The long wait is finally over!

i-Movies

Reaction score
StarHub Channel 8 (HD) [Channel 154], Suria (HD) [Channel 116] and Vasantham (HD) [Channel 156] will be available with effect from 28 August 2014, 9am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.