[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All user that experiencing router hang / 5G drop and have to connect/reconnect.

One thing that did which I am not sure did you all tried .... both my 2.4G and 5G TX power is now set at 50%...

I can confirm that the unit is much cooler at surface touch the unit as compare to 100% TX power

I am not sure is the 87U over heat and causing any issue... just give it a try .....I guess no harm .

I know people will say that defeat the purpose of a power coverage , but for me even 50% power covers my 4rm flat even better than DIR868 at high power setting. Someone here mentioned feel headache after sitting close to the router .

Anyone know in SG the max power is 100mW right ?... is 87U 's power way above the 100mW ?

Last edited:

jfpatenaude

Reaction score
Very simple fix. From my personal experience, disconnect one of the two routers in the meantime there is a new firmware that fixes the "received packet on eth1 with own address as source address" bug. i.e. disconnect your access point router.

There is currently a bug with creates network loops (which creates broadcast storms, which renders the complete network unusable) when there is more than 1 router connected on the same network.

At least ASUS are aware of the bug and they are working on a new version of the firmware since one week. The new firmware should be out soon but there is no official ETA yet. We only know they are in "phase 6" but we don't know how many phases there are in their software development cycle ;)

I have been having some real issues with the Asus RT-AC87U and am hoping someone can help.
I have 2 units -
Router - 192.168.100.1
Access Point 192.168.100.2

This is a non-complicated home network setup. Both units are wired into a Cisco Switch and I am with ViewQwest 1GBps Fiber.
Every 2 hours, the Router will hang and internet will drop. At that point, I cannot even ping the router. Manual Reboot addresses the issue. Confirmed it's not the ISP since I don't have to reboot the Fiber Modem when this happens.
I have upgraded both units today to the latest FW 3.0.0.4.378_3754
I continue to get the below in the Sys Log on both units
Router Log
Jan 10 19:35:53 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:38:31 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:40:37 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:43:49 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:54:55 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:55:41 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

Access Point Log
Jan 10 19:30:10 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:30:19 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:30:42 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:35:04 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:35:26 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:35:45 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:35:47 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:35:54 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:37:01 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:38:14 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:38:48 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:41:12 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:41:21 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:48:28 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:48:43 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:51:16 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:55:17 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

Anyone know what is going on? Can the Asus person on this thread please help? Its typically after a bunch of these messages in the Log is when the Router will stop routing and I have an outage. To be fair, I have only just upgraded the FW this evening and it has yet to hang but the logs are filling up.
Please help or I might be advertising some cheap AC87s soon :(

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

One thing that did which I am not sure did you all tried .... both my 2.4G and 5G TX power is now set at 50%...

I can confirm that the unit is much cooler at surface touch the unit as compare to 100% TX power

I am not sure is the 87U over heat and causing any issue... just give it a try .....I guess no harm .

I know people will say that defeat the purpose of a power coverage , but for me even 50% power covers my 4rm flat even better than DIR868 at high power setting. Someone here mentioned feel headache after sitting close to the router .

Anyone know in SG the max power is 100mW right ?... is 87U 's power way above the 100mW ?

Ok, let me set to 50% tx power but I doubt it will help. Anyway no harm trying. Did u solve the signal drop problem when you reduce the Tx power?

tormont

Reaction score
Updated my unit to the latest firmware and apparently 5GHz coverage seems better than before. However, the internet drop issue make the whole usage sucky.

I have rolled back to the previous official firmware and it works much better. At least the internet on my iPhone and devices don't drop often.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Updated my unit to the latest firmware and apparently 5GHz coverage seems better than before. However, the internet drop issue make the whole usage sucky.

I have rolled back to the previous official firmware and it works much better. At least the internet on my iPhone and devices don't drop often.

That is why Asus should fix the basic problem first

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
i just swap to AP mode again. my 5ghz seem stable now for the past 15 mins. oh well.

edited* just drop. sigh

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok, let me set to 50% tx power but I doubt it will help. Anyway no harm trying. Did u solve the signal drop problem when you reduce the Tx power?
Give a try .... my 5G signal issue is driver in laptop , after update driver all ok liao.

Reduce power is just my guess .... try .

renderking

Reaction score
I have been having some real issues with the Asus RT-AC87U and am hoping someone can help.
I have 2 units -
Router - 192.168.100.1
Access Point 192.168.100.2

This is a non-complicated home network setup. Both units are wired into a Cisco Switch and I am with ViewQwest 1GBps Fiber.
Every 2 hours, the Router will hang and internet will drop. At that point, I cannot even ping the router. Manual Reboot addresses the issue. Confirmed it's not the ISP since I don't have to reboot the Fiber Modem when this happens.
I have upgraded both units today to the latest FW 3.0.0.4.378_3754
I continue to get the below in the Sys Log on both units
Router Log
Jan 10 19:35:53 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

Anyone know what is going on? Can the Asus person on this thread please help? Its typically after a bunch of these messages in the Log is when the Router will stop routing and I have an outage. To be fair, I have only just upgraded the FW this evening and it has yet to hang but the logs are filling up.
Please help or I might be advertising some cheap AC87s soon :(

Save yourself a headache and remove the AP from your network. There's a bug in there. I have the same exact issue going on. I kicked it out of AP remotely, and all my messages "kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address" stopped immediately. Reboot the main router after the 2nd is removed. The AP creates a broadcast storm that steadily increases over time, till your network becomes unusable. I saw it building over time by seeing those same messages you described, and ping responses were steadily increasing between devices on my LAN till eventually I lost everything.

Last edited:

davemishsr

Reaction score

IIRC, the 100% transmit power setting equals 316mW.

rajnata

Reaction score
Save yourself a headache and remove the AP from your network. There's a bug in there. I have the same exact issue going on. I kicked it out of AP remotely, and all my messages "kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address" stopped immediately. Reboot the main router after the 2nd is removed. The AP creates a broadcast storm that steadily increases over time, till your network becomes unusable. I saw it building over time by seeing those same messages you described, and ping responses were steadily increasing between devices on my LAN till eventually I lost everything.
Thank you. That seems to have done the trick. Any experience with moving AP mode back to Router and not using WAN interface (so that it continues to operate like an AP) Does that also create a storm ?
Will wait for this new Asus firmware. It's an unfortunate experience with such a "high quality" and expensive product. I have been struggling with this for a month. Atleast, the FAF (family acceptance factor) at home will now improve without panic calls saying Internet is down!

rajnata

Reaction score
Very simple fix. From my personal experience, disconnect one of the two routers in the meantime there is a new firmware that fixes the "received packet on eth1 with own address as source address" bug. i.e. disconnect your access point router.

There is currently a bug with creates network loops (which creates broadcast storms, which renders the complete network unusable) when there is more than 1 router connected on the same network.

At least ASUS are aware of the bug and they are working on a new version of the firmware since one week. The new firmware should be out soon but there is no official ETA yet. We only know they are in "phase 6" but we don't know how many phases there are in their software development cycle ;)
Thanks. That has helped.

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
newbie question : if i were to plug a usb HDD into the asus router's usb port, can i use my tablet or mobile phone to access the HDD's media files, like a video or music file?

from a laptop, i can just mapped the drive but for mobile phone or tablet? I have yet to try though.

samtang

Reaction score
newbie question : if i were to plug a usb HDD into the asus router's usb port, can i use my tablet or mobile phone to access the HDD's media files, like a video or music file?

from a laptop, i can just mapped the drive but for mobile phone or tablet? I have yet to try though.

Yes you can. After setting up the USB hard disk (try to get usb 3.0 HD to connect to the usb 3.0 port) go download the ASUS Aicloud app from Apple store or google play. Then it is quite easy using the app to connect. Also it is easy to connect using the any browser with your DDNS url.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwZcJyhpz0M

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro! By default is how many %? And what is the recommended of power should I set?
try 30% for both 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz

if 100% = 300+ mW , then 30% is around 100+ mW (if I am not wrong but i recall some router doesnt calculate that way)

I have lan devices that the utility can show me how much signal strength that it is sensing from the router.

On the same corner when I am using DL868 high power , it is 70% received from the end but when from 87U (I even set to only 5%) ... it is picking up 96% ....:eek:

Quite scary radiation.

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
try 30% for both 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz

if 100% = 300+ mW , then 30% is around 100+ mW (if I am not wrong but i recall some router doesnt calculate that way)

I have lan devices that the utility can show me how much signal strength that it is sensing from the router.

On the same corner when I am using DL868 high power , it is 70% received from the end but when from 87U (I even set to only 5%) ... it is picking up 96% ....:eek:

Quite scary radiation.
Wi-Fi routers use non-ionizing radiation and there has yet to be any scientific evidence that these signals have any effect on living tissue.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.