[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

Dellboy

Reaction score
U can try downloading the latest firmware from Asus support site. Lastest version should be 4950

Just thinking aloud... Asus produces consumer / pro-consumer products. The main requirement ought to be customers, some, if not a majority, are non-tech persons and there should be an easy way for them to manage the products.

All these discussions of firmware upgrades and the various methods to reset the router is absurd. I can't imagine how a non-tech person have to follow numerous steps to upgrade their firmware, including counting 5 seconds on pressing the reset button? By the way, these steps are not documented and one is expected to Google for answers?

On putting in 4950, a non-tech person realises the "trouble" connection and calls Singtel? He'll be put on a wide goose chase just to get a $300 equipment to work, or does he even know which part of the equation is causing the intermittent connection?

All these while... JK has not directly addressed my concern. Perhaps I should not expect that to happen as this is not an official communication channel to Asus.

Just ranting...

hiippy

Reaction score
Are you able to surf other websites?
yup i can surf webpages like normal, i only experience the problem when trying to connect to servers from my desktop programs, like for example the 3 issues that I mentioned before. When i switched back to my 2wire modem from Singtel, all issues were resolved so i am suspecting it is some hidden setting that I do not know about that causes those issues

U can try downloading the latest firmware from Asus support site. Lastest version should be 4950
i already updated to the latest firmware but still the same issue :/

ho_kuku

Reaction score
Just thinking aloud... Asus produces consumer / pro-consumer products. The main requirement ought to be customers, some, if not a majority, are non-tech persons and there should be an easy way for them to manage the products.

All these discussions of firmware upgrades and the various methods to reset the router is absurd. I can't imagine how a non-tech person have to follow numerous steps to upgrade their firmware, including counting 5 seconds on pressing the reset button? By the way, these steps are not documented and one is expected to Google for answers?

On putting in 4950, a non-tech person realises the "trouble" connection and calls Singtel? He'll be put on a wide goose chase just to get a $300 equipment to work, or does he even know which part of the equation is causing the intermittent connection?

All these while... JK has not directly addressed my concern. Perhaps I should not expect that to happen as this is not an official communication channel to Asus.

Just ranting...

Now... i have problem with my upload on both 2.4 and 5ghz band.... Can't do sh%t with wifi now...can't load pics to carosell - speedtest shows 0mbps upload.

This happened when I reflashed 4950.. apparently during the flashing process... something broke. All my android devices operate at 0mbps download speed.

Well done Asus

Last edited:

thiamhui

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am using the below devices on build 4950 - beamforming enable

I did not encounter any disconnect on my devices.

Zenfone 5
IPhone 6 +
IPhone 4
MacBook air
Sony Xperia Z1
Intel AC 7260

Below is my setting for 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz
Auto
149 /80

Best regard,
JK
I'm testing with BF on now. Channel for 5 GHz is set to AUTO, currently at 157/80.

Connect Time at Wireless Log for iPhone 6 Plus will reset frequently when I'm not using the phone. Sometimes the phone just disappear from the router.

Did you observe this at your side?

Last edited:

piglet_oinkoink

Reaction score
all should stop buying and support their routers.. .
they have been releasing problematic routers with impressive spec but cannot work... can't even resolve issue till now.

u all still trust such brand /manufacturer ? ?

Jong99

Reaction score
I'm testing with BF on now. Channel for 5 GHz is set to AUTO, currently at 157/80.

Connect Time at Wireless Log for iPhone 6 Plus will reset frequently when I'm not using the phone. Sometimes the phone just disappear from the router.

Did you observe this at your side?
Just posted this on SNB, but as we are discussing, I have an iPad that rarely moves, so does not need to roam much between my AP and Router. It is currently showing as continually connected to 5Ghz for 5 days (BF off). If I turn on BF it will disconnect within an hour when sleeping and mostly stay off the network until it is woken up.

Last edited:

ho_kuku

Reaction score
Any idea why reflashing firmware causes all android devices to have upload speed slow to a crawl? I personally dun think its possible..... but indeed it is. Upload speed is not affected on ios devices

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, anyone can recommend what control channel and extension channel we should choose for 2.4ghz and 5ghz to ensure it don't conflict with other neighbours? I am suffering sometimes slowness in 5ghz band. Sometimes fast.

Did a speed test and was able to achieve 130mbps to 238mbps speed on 200mbps singnet fibre broadband. However sometimes its was very slow when loading facebook comments, webpages. I do not know why sometimes its slow.

5GHz will auto disconnect on Note 4 and S6 edge and not on Tab S.

Tomorrow onwards i'll have 1GBps fibre :D

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, anyone can recommend what control channel and extension channel we should choose for 2.4ghz and 5ghz to ensure it don't conflict with other neighbours? I am suffering sometimes slowness in 5ghz band. Sometimes fast.

Did a speed test and was able to achieve 130mbps to 238mbps speed on 200mbps singnet fibre broadband. However sometimes its was very slow when loading facebook comments, webpages. I do not know why sometimes its slow.

5GHz will auto disconnect on Note 4 and S6 edge and not on Tab S.

Tomorrow onwards i'll have 1GBps fibre :D

which channel to use depends on the on-site survey. no one can advise you on this except yourself..

Jong99

Reaction score
Really the only answer is to know who is broadcasting around you and on what channel. A tool like Inssider (link on the previous page) can help.

Otherwise, it's just the obvious:

2.4Ghz: stick to 1, 6 and 11 (or 13/14 if available in your country). Try each and see how it goes. If the area is busy (I.e. Just about any urban area these days), stick to 20Mhz width.

5Ghz: bottom channels tend to be busier, but aren't subject to DFS and are compatible with more devices. If you and all your devices can use them and you don't get bounced off due to DFS, higher channels may be clearer. But, again, you can only really know if you use a tool to test your local environment.

but how do i know myself? Which channel do u normally use?
Unfortunately, this is no use to you, as your neighbours might be using the channels that he has selected. You have to find out what is least used WHERE YOU ARE.

Last edited:

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really the only answer is to know who is broadcasting around you and on what channel. A tool like Inssider (link on the previous page) can help.

Otherwise, it's just the obvious:

2.4Ghz: stick to 1, 6 and 11 (or 13/14 if available in your country). Try each and see how it goes. If the area is busy (I.e. Just about any urban area these days), stick to 20Mhz width.

5Ghz: bottom channels tend to be busier, but aren't subject to DFS and are compatible with more devices. If you and all your devices can use them and you don't get bounced off due to DFS, higher channels may be clearer. But, again, you can only really know if you use a tool to test your local environment.

Unfortunately, this is no use to you, as your neighbours might be using the channels that he has selected. You have to find out what is least used WHERE YOU ARE.

thank you.. The app that u said inssider need money to use. :eek: .
my 2.4ghz currently set to 13

ho_kuku

Reaction score
Any idea why reflashing firmware causes all android devices to have upload speed slow to a crawl? I personally dun think its possible..... but indeed it is. Upload speed is not affected on ios devices

something interesting to share
My isp is myrepublic (MR). ..
I verified with some MR users that their android device also have 0mbps upload speed.

I am beginning to suspect that my prob with wifi connected but no internet connectivity may be related to the isp

Jong99

Reaction score
I verified with some MR users that their android device also have 0mbps upload speed.

I am beginning to suspect that my prob with wifi connected but no internet connectivity may be related to the isp
Can't you test wifi on your LAN?

ho_kuku

Reaction score
Can't you test wifi on your LAN?

Wifi works ok on LAN, am able to transfer files to file server etc. just that my isp may have set some config that is affecting android devices

Upload speed in speed test is slow to a crawl... can do posting on the carousell app etc. I just puzzles me why isp would have different settings for android devices. Validated with a fellow user from my isp... same prob.. upload speed is 0mbps... he can't even log on to his android game via wifi

Last edited:

seller4

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have the same problem. I am using MR too. The 0Mbps upload thingy seem to start after their 14th April scheduled maintenance. It is happening on my Android devices only.

seller4

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I am using MR too. The 0Mbps upload thingy seem to start after their 14th April scheduled maintenance. It is happening on my Android devices only.
I called Myrepublic and escalated the issue. They claimed they are aware of the issue and is looking n fixing it. ETA for fix in 24 to 48 hours. If 48 hours still like that, we can all call in n give them a peace of our mind. :s13:

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Dear all,

RT-AC87U: 3.0.0.4_378_5134 Unofficial beta

Changelog:
Update: QIS ver. 1.5
Update: traffic monitor
Fix: reduce media server memory usage
Fix: [Media Bridge] Can't connect to P-AP by 5GHz DFS channel
Fix: [USB Application][Media Server - Windows media player
Fix: WAN Status LED

* No hard reset require from build 4950

Download: http://goo.gl/ppJuct

Best regard,
JK

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.