2018 Google Pixel 3 and 3XL...πŸ˜—πŸŽ‰πŸ˜΅

wizardmao

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
28,491
Reaction score
65
hmm does the oleophobic layer wear off for you guys?
- waiting for my Moment case to arrive
- have a spigen rugged armour in the meantime...

now for the hassle of migrating the phone over

Not exactly sure what is considered a worn out oleophobic coating. But till date my daily usage still feels smooth and screen havent experience any loss of touch sensitivity. In short im still using it like normal lor.

I occasionally use alcohol swabs to clean the screen also. Convenient way to faster clean off smudges & stains after using for some time
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
Not exactly sure what is considered a worn out oleophobic coating. But till date my daily usage still feels smooth and screen havent experience any loss of touch sensitivity. In short im still using it like normal lor.

I occasionally use alcohol swabs to clean the screen also. Convenient way to faster clean off smudges & stains after using for some time


Alcohol swabs will eventually remove the oleophobic coating on the screen. If you need don't believe me, find an old phone and rub half the screen with it over a few days. You will see the half that you rubbed will no longer be as oleophobic. I suggest you just clean your screen with a good cloth that absorbs oil. Of course, if you only use the alcohol swab once a month it should be fine.

Spectacle cloths and some 3M ones are good at absorbing oil from fingerprints without requiring any solution. If really need, just a bit of water should do, like a damp cloth.
 

dimebag

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
Is the display always on while charging on the pixel stand? Can it be set to turn off until there are notifications for awhile or activated with voice match?

Only saw screen off when dark option...

Unfortunately don't have, I'm also only using the screen off when dark option. I guess that works while charging while sleeping.
 

wizardmao

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
28,491
Reaction score
65
Alcohol swabs will eventually remove the oleophobic coating on the screen. If you need don't believe me, find an old phone and rub half the screen with it over a few days. You will see the half that you rubbed will no longer be as oleophobic. I suggest you just clean your screen with a good cloth that absorbs oil. Of course, if you only use the alcohol swab once a month it should be fine.

Spectacle cloths and some 3M ones are good at absorbing oil from fingerprints without requiring any solution. If really need, just a bit of water should do, like a damp cloth.

So far its fine though. I dont do it daily. Daily routine is constantly use shirt rub only.

I do have an older asus zenfone 2 which i use as my bedside alarm clock. That one i use alcohol swab wipe more often becos its my bedside phone. Sometimes fell asleep while using it or will paste the phone on my face. Dropped many times off the bed because i dozed off while using phone also.

I cant be sure if that phone is using gorilla glass also or have oleophobic coating or not. But still performing well in terms of no touch sensitivity loss. Just of cos load apps slower and will lag when scroll through too many images too fast.
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
So far its fine though. I dont do it daily. Daily routine is constantly use shirt rub only.

I do have an older asus zenfone 2 which i use as my bedside alarm clock. That one i use alcohol swab wipe more often becos its my bedside phone. Sometimes fell asleep while using it or will paste the phone on my face. Dropped many times off the bed because i dozed off while using phone also.

I cant be sure if that phone is using gorilla glass also or have oleophobic coating or not. But still performing well in terms of no touch sensitivity loss. Just of cos load apps slower and will lag when scroll through too many images too fast.

Well, the oleophobic coating actually doesn't affect touch sensitivity, it's mostly the barrier between your finger and your actual phone screen. Once you remove the coating it's the raw screen glass. The oleophobic coating is what usually protects your phone from micro scratches.

Most of the time, your screen doesn't get scratched easily, keys won't scratch it too, but pocket sand will. :s13:
 

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,803
Reaction score
12,247
So far its fine though. I dont do it daily. Daily routine is constantly use shirt rub only.

I do have an older asus zenfone 2 which i use as my bedside alarm clock. That one i use alcohol swab wipe more often becos its my bedside phone. Sometimes fell asleep while using it or will paste the phone on my face. Dropped many times off the bed because i dozed off while using phone also.

I cant be sure if that phone is using gorilla glass also or have oleophobic coating or not. But still performing well in terms of no touch sensitivity loss. Just of cos load apps slower and will lag when scroll through too many images too fast.

I'm sure there will be micro scratches. You just can't see it.

I tried naked on my 5X.

I don't drop phones as I'm very careful and my eyesight is 6/6.

I can still see micro scratches. These are scratches caused by tiny particles.
 

wizardmao

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
28,491
Reaction score
65
I'm sure there will be micro scratches. You just can't see it.

I tried naked on my 5X.

I don't drop phones as I'm very careful and my eyesight is 6/6.

I can still see micro scratches. These are scratches caused by tiny particles.

So what technique to see these:s11:
 

laughingPANDA

Master Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
2,543
Reaction score
0
I'm sure there will be micro scratches. You just can't see it.

I tried naked on my 5X.

I don't drop phones as I'm very careful and my eyesight is 6/6.

I can still see micro scratches. These are scratches caused by tiny particles.
There's definitely micro scratches one. It's up to each individual about how anal we are haha. I'm anal so screen protector is a must lol

Sent from The Panda's Lair using GAGT
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
I'm sure there will be micro scratches. You just can't see it.

I tried naked on my 5X.

I don't drop phones as I'm very careful and my eyesight is 6/6.

I can still see micro scratches. These are scratches caused by tiny particles.

There's definitely micro scratches one. It's up to each individual about how anal we are haha. I'm anal so screen protector is a must lol

Sent from The Panda's Lair using GAGT

Just a small correction. What you see, micro scratches, is actually the oleophobic layer being "scratched". If you have an expensive facility that can re-coat for you, the scratches will disappear. :s13: The gorilla glass layer is actually not that easy to scratch, but of course, if you have sand in your pocket, it has a hardness level higher than your house keys.
 

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,803
Reaction score
12,247
There's definitely micro scratches one. It's up to each individual about how anal we are haha. I'm anal so screen protector is a must lol

Sent from The Panda's Lair using GAGT

I always put the phone in my pocket.

For my Samsung S3, I didn't use a SP but I used a flip cover. Surprisingly, I don't see a single micro scratch.

When I upgraded to 5X, I thought of not using a SP too since the gorilla glass was 1 grade higher than S3.

To my dismay, there were micro scratches on the 5X!

Then I decided to use SP for my Pixel 1 and 2.
 

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,803
Reaction score
12,247
Just a small correction. What you see, micro scratches, is actually the oleophobic layer being "scratched". If you have an expensive facility that can re-coat for you, the scratches will disappear. :s13: The gorilla glass layer is actually not that easy to scratch, but of course, if you have sand in your pocket, it has a hardness level higher than your house keys.

So how expensive is this?

There is a slight probability of sand hitting the "hard" gorilla glass. The probability of this is not zero though. :D
 
Last edited:

dimebag

Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
383
Reaction score
0
Dun say bo jio. Place you order!
https://www.qoo10.sg/item/WHITESTONE-WHITESTONE-DOME-GLASS-FOR-GOOGLE-PIXEL-3-3-XL-2-XL-SCREEN-PROTECTOR/610128696
1209675875.g_400-w_g.jpg

Nice! Thanks for sharing! Didn't know could purchase in SG.
 

FireBlazen

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
2
1 month on from the promised retail date. And still no sign of the white google pixel 3 xl 128 gb. Anyone knows where its coming to singtel or starhub?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top