2018 YTD investment performance thread

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,208
Reaction score
2,669
U have any bond? Time to rebalance?

I am 50% fixed income and 50% equity. No I don't want to rebalance now. If markets crack like in 2008, then I will increase allocation to equities. But any new salary savings is going entirely to equities.
 

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 15, 2017
Messages
8,580
Reaction score
292
Reminds me of someone who checks her portfolio and stock prices all the time during office hours, LOL.
 

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,208
Reaction score
2,669
I updated the average buy price from IBKR and the buy date as today. So it appears as if it was bought today. From tomorrow it will display correctly the daily p/l and the overall p/l.

I could spend sometime and dig into my IBKR statements and update the actual buy transactions, maybe then the pl chart will make sense.

Edit: Updated with actual dates of buy.

fJ8N1Lg.jpg

NUWQ1x0.jpg
 
Last edited:

existential_reality

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
639
Reaction score
36
That would probably be more ideal though tedious, will give you a better picture of your holdings and cost.

Currently I use the following which you can consider,

Stockmarketeye - Has a desktop program and a App as well, not as fancy an interface but it allows synchronization which I find very useful. Prices are taken via Yahoo. I can create multiple watchlist which is very handy for counters I am tracking.

Stocks Cafe - This calculates for dividends and comes up with your overall P&L, web based platform but I find the P&L displays very intuitive. Good if you are a dividend investor.

I could spend sometime and dig into my IBKR statements and update the actual buy transactions, maybe then the pl chart will make sense.
 

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,208
Reaction score
2,669
Closed my books for November. Here is my YTD Networth growth and investment performance. I have added couple of more columns to show salary contribution to YTD networth growth.

All figures in '000 SGD

x9royTS.png


Pretty happy compared to where I was in October end.
 

homer123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
10,168
Reaction score
5,085
Very detailed tracking
Closed my books for November. Here is my YTD Networth growth and investment performance. I have added couple of more columns to show salary contribution to YTD networth growth.

All figures in '000 SGD

x9royTS.png


Pretty happy compared to where I was in October end.
 

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,208
Reaction score
2,669
I did the same exercise for past 3 years that I have data.
Year end figures in '000 SGD.

5x7EeIC.png


Past 3 years my portfolio mostly in fixed income in INR. Luckily INR didnt depreciate much so I was able to make decent returns in SGD terms. Now I am looking to move out of INR, slowly.
 

homer123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
10,168
Reaction score
5,085
Closed my books for November. Here is my YTD Networth growth and investment performance. I have added couple of more columns to show salary contribution to YTD networth growth.

All figures in '000 SGD

Pretty happy compared to where I was in October end.
My Nov YTD networth growth still positive despite the severe market correction, thanks to salary/bonus contribution. Can't imagine if I have no job and retirement fund is tanking at this magnitude.
 

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,208
Reaction score
2,669
My Nov YTD networth growth still positive despite the severe market correction, thanks to salary/bonus contribution. Can't imagine if I have no job and retirement fund is tanking at this magnitude.

True, same case with me. How old are you?

I am 39 and my current savings rate as a percentage of networth is about 7%. That is too good to give up. That encourages me to continue working.

My current expenses is also about 7%. I think at some point both savings rate and expenses rate becomes like 2% at that point it is worth considering giving up working.
 
Last edited:

Prof. Utonium

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
34,580
Reaction score
4,576
True, same case with me. How old are you?

I am 39 and my current savings rate as a percentage of networth is about 7%. That is too good to give up. That encourages me to continue working.

My current expenses is also about 7%. I think at some point both savings rate and expenses rate becomes like 2% at that point it is worth considering giving up working.

Interesting.

I had never thought of calculating expenses or saving rates against networth before.
 

homer123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
10,168
Reaction score
5,085
True, same case with me. How old are you?

I am 39 and my current savings rate as a percentage of networth is about 7%. That is too good to give up. That encourages me to continue working.

My current expenses is also about 7%. I think at some point both savings rate and expenses rate becomes like 2% at that point it is worth considering giving up working.

Strange way to assess retirement readiness.. Mine is pretty straightforward as long as my passive income is greater than my expense by 30+%
 

Minimalists

Junior Member
Joined
May 27, 2018
Messages
98
Reaction score
1
I am 39 and my current savings rate as a percentage of networth is about 7%. That is too good to give up. That encourages me to continue working.

But did you calculate how many percent of your life you spend working to get the 7%? Many people don’t realise the high percentage of their lifespan they spend pursuing the illusionary wealth. It only dawns upon them when they don’t have that many years left to do what they really want.
 

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,208
Reaction score
2,669
But did you calculate how many percent of your life you spend working to get the 7%? Many people don’t realise the high percentage of their lifespan they spend pursuing the illusionary wealth. It only dawns upon them when they don’t have that many years left to do what they really want.

It is a bit philosophical. But do most people know what they want to do? We can take the spiritual route to find the purpose of life or take the materialistic route. By working we are basically trying to avoid the question of what is the purpose of life. Too much free time is also not good. Sometimes being occupied is the easy way.

When you have inflow coming in, it easy to make decisions like lets go for a vacation or if the wife or child wants to buy some stuff, it is easy to cater. If not working, it becomes a real tussle of mind to justify whether the spend is necessary or not. Such decisions are easier to make when working and earning.
 
Last edited:

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,208
Reaction score
2,669
As of 15th Dec:
YTD portfolio returns: -5.05%
YTD salary savings inflow: +7.93%
YTD networth growth: +2.89%
 

NewInvestor

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2014
Messages
7,341
Reaction score
3
Portfolio YTD -0.3% (after taking into account dividends paid)
It has been a terrible year
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top