2018 YTD investment performance thread

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,206
Reaction score
2,669
so that he doesnt need to draw down on his capital ? and will still be able to save a bit from the passive income.

But then passive income is also a kind of drawdown from capital. When a stock goes ex dividend its price falls. So technically if the stock was not giving out the dividend, it would go higher and higher.
 

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
29,478
Reaction score
5,635
But then passive income is also a kind of drawdown from capital. When a stock goes ex dividend its price falls. So technically if the stock was not giving out the dividend, it would go higher and higher.

not always..

so many stocks never give dividends also never go higher

so many stocks give out more than 3-4% yield but yet keep going higher and higher
 

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,206
Reaction score
2,669
not always..

so many stocks never give dividends also never go higher

so many stocks give out more than 3-4% yield but yet keep going higher and higher

Yes, but for the same stock, hypothetically, if it didn't payout dividend, the money will stay in the stock and overtime accumulated dividends would make the stock go higher, compared to the scenario where they payout the dividend every year. Example stock like aapl. They have some 200bn in cash if they paid out all that as dividend, then the price would be that much lower.

So, in theory, you can use the dividend paid out to buy more of the same stock or you could sell some shares of companies which don't payout enough dividend. So it is the same thing. Passive income is a bit like forced selling of some stock.
 
Last edited:

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,106
Reaction score
4,077
LAnXRmy.jpg


Christmas Eve got free time, did my preliminary calculations. Continued to grow my dividends this year.

From this year onwards, I think I will also record down my CPF interest since that is also 'passive income'. So I'll have to wait for Jan 2019 to learn how much interest I got...
 

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
12,206
Reaction score
2,669
I am closing my books for the month and the year.

All figures in '000 SGD

CqfEMdX.png


So down 5% for the year on the overall portfolio. 42k loss. Salary savings were 8% so net, my networth went up by about 3%. It is a bad year for me compared to past 2 years, when I managed good returns with low allocation to equties and this year it was bad timing of moving my allocation in equities from 30% to 50%, in the early part of the year. But on the bright side, now I have achieved my target equity allocation so going forward, I just have to maintain it.

How are you guys doing?
 
Last edited:

homer123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
10,164
Reaction score
5,102
So early close book? I still have dividend coming in on 31st Dec :s13:
I am closing my books for the month and the year.

All figures in '000 SGD

So down 5% for the year on the overall portfolio. 42k loss. Salary savings were 8% so net, my networth went up by about 3%. It is a bad year for me compared to past 2 years, when I managed good returns with low allocation to equties and this year it was bad timing of moving my allocation in equities from 30% to 50%, in the early part of the year. But on the bright side, now I have achieved my target equity allocation so going forward, I just have to maintain it.

How are you guys doing?
 

mummy1234

Banned
Joined
Jan 30, 2014
Messages
17,103
Reaction score
31
Actually a lot depends on the strength of our SGD. What do u guys think? Will SGD get stronger over the longterm?
 

JuniorLion

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 15, 2017
Messages
8,585
Reaction score
293
Anyone counting their CPF accounts + interest?

Anyone receiving more than 50k in CPF interest this year?
 

FuNKySoULyBrO

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,819
Reaction score
38
I guess I'm considered lucky, coz based on my equities portfolio, overall loss is only 0.0008% of my overall equities value.

Basically now the current value of my stock holdings had dropped enough to wipe out my dividend gains+ realized profits for this year.
 

FuNKySoULyBrO

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,819
Reaction score
38
Anyone counting their CPF accounts + interest?

Anyone receiving more than 50k in CPF interest this year?

Is that even possible? Coz getting that amount of interest means overall CPF value could be around $1.5 mil or more liaoz.

To reach that value not easy, considering got a limit of contribution per year, plus with that amount and yet not using for property is kinda strange.

Though my current CPF interest is over 10k, still got a long way to even $1 mil there....and I'm a bbfa without a property :s22::s22::s22:
 

homer123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
10,164
Reaction score
5,102
As of 31st Dec
YTD portfolio returns include dividend: -3.85%
YTD networth growth exclude property: +2.95% (2nd lowest in 10 years)

As of 15th Dec:
YTD portfolio returns: -5.05%
YTD salary savings inflow: +7.93%
YTD networth growth: +2.89%
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top