5GbE and beyond ethernet adapters

phayze

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2000
Messages
5,286
Reaction score
233
I think you should contact 10Gtek for help.

Intel provides the FW update utility here for Intel branded adapter, but they recommend the user to contact the OEM vendor for OEM brands.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...tel-ethernet-network-adapter-x550-series.html

I tend to believe 10Gtek will point you to the above utility as well -- but it is always better to get confirmation before updating the FW since you do not want to brick the network adapter.

I just update mine as i couldn't get 10Gbps with internal openspeedtest. Still same result after updating.
 

guangzong

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
208
Although you ask xiaofan, I would like to jump in and I suggest to save 80% of the money and only go for 2.5G.
My opinion is that all the mobile 10G chipsets are power-limited by USB4/Thunderbolt thus limiting performance with small files transfer. Need a more energy-efficient chip manufacturing tech.
Thank you for chiming in.

I am aware of the limitations of USB4/Thunderbolt 10 Gbps NICs. Knowing that, I am willing to forgo some performance tradeoffs it comes with, as i am only on the SingTel 5Gbps plan. A 2.5 Gbs NIC would be under-utilizing it though. I would have to think hard.
 

gundamkitten

Member
Joined
May 18, 2024
Messages
181
Reaction score
122
I notice that there is a sale pricing for the Wavlink 5Gbps USB-C to Ethernet adapter on Shopee today. More interesting is the notes about speed and compatibility limitations posted, which is quite helpful to take note for Realtek-based 5Gbps adapters:

Notes:

1. To achieve the optimal network speed, please make sure the USB port connected speed is 10Gbps; When the USB port speed is 5Gbps, the maximum Ethernet speed is around 3.3Gbps.



2. The default speed for MAC OS is 5Gbps, manually selecting the highest speed should be at 2.5Gbps; This issue is related to the MAC OS driver and manual settings are not recommended.



3. There are speed differences on MacBook.

* M3 chip. Dual direction maximum speed can reach 4.6Gbps.

* M1 chip. Dual direction Transmit/Receive. One direction can reach 4Gbps, the other 2.5Gbps. Single direction maximum speed can reach 4.7Gbps.

* 2017 Intel i7 chip. Dual direction Transmit/Receive. One direction can reach 3.1Gbps, the other 1.3Gbps. Single direction maximum speed can reach 4.7Gbps.

* 2017 Intel i5 chip. Dual direction Transmit/Receive. One direction can reach 2.9Gbps, the other 900Mbps. Single direction maximum speed can reach 3.8Gbps.



4. The speed are related to the computer CPU performance. Because this Ethernet adapter will consume computer's CPU resources.



On Surface Laptop Go(CPU i5-1035G1)Win11 OS will have same issue. Dual direction Transmit/Receive. One direction can reach 4.7Gbps, the other 623Mbps. resulting in CPU usage at 100%.

Realtek will provide the minimum configuration requirements soon.



If the above issue would made a negative impact on your user experience, please purchase with caution.



Compatibility:

Compatible: Windows, macOS, Linux, and Chrome OS, USB-C (5Gbps), USB 3.0, and Thunderbolt 3 Systems, Microsoft Windows 10, 8.x, 7, Vista and XP, macOS 10.6 and above, iPadOS

Compatible: Linux kernel 3.2 and above (basic support, install driver or update to 5.x kernel for full support), Supported on up-to-date Chrome OS systems

Compatible: Plug and play for Windows 10, Mac OS 10.13.6 to 11.x, iPadOS, Linux Kernel 5.x and above, up-to-date Chrome OS.

Not Compatible: ARM-based Windows RT and Windows Mobile, Nintendo Switch, Most Android devices, TiVo Series 2, Wii, or other non-PC/Mac platforms, Not recommended for use with FreeBSD or pfSense
 

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
6,908
Reaction score
3,620
Transfer speed (no Jumbo frame) between X550 to X520 Intel NIC and X520 to X520 Intel NIC. On TrueNAS Core (FreeBSD) and a Windows PC. On dedicated default vlan, pass through 2-3 layers of switches (CRS309->CRS312->CRS312) without routing. All using NICs from 10Gtek. Ensure your NICs are well-cooled and not burn to the touch.

Core to Core
uVTxQu2.jpeg


Core to Windows PC
Zp1D5Lq.jpeg
 
Last edited:

azarel

Master Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2000
Messages
2,658
Reaction score
47
Check the WAN speed first. You can do that with the built-in OOkla SpeedTest utility within the TUF-BE6500.

Make sure you don't enable Adaptive QoS and Traffic Analyzer in the router.
ah just to update - i ran the speedtest with the OOkla SpeedTest utility within the TUF-BE6500 and only managed to achieve approx 2.3gb upload/download speed (with adaptive QoS and traffic analyzer dsabled in the router).
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,384
Reaction score
12,320
ah just to update - i ran the speedtest with the OOkla SpeedTest utility within the TUF-BE6500 and only managed to achieve approx 2.3gb upload/download speed (with adaptive QoS and traffic analyzer dsabled in the router).

That is the correct speed as TUF-BE6500 has only 2.5Gbe WAN port.
 

phayze

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2000
Messages
5,286
Reaction score
233
Anyone did stress test on 10Gbps thunderbolt ethernet adapter? Is the connection stable?
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,384
Reaction score
12,320
Can put this in the db box? Will it get hot running 24/7?

Never tried that myself. My test shows they are much cooler than SFP+ to 10G RJ45 modules, or even SFP+ to 10G optic modules.

I live in older HDB flat so my networking gears are in the living room and not DB box. And I do not use the USB 4 to TB adapters 24/7, only for short terms SpeedTest (OOKla or iperf3). No issues using them with Mac Mini M1 and Linux. Windows may have a bit lower speed since they all use Marvell AQC107/AQC113C chipset.

If you are worried, a USB fan should be considered. I use USB fans with the SFP+ to 10G RJ45 module and SFP+ to 10G optic modules.

XikeStor version of USB4 to 10G RJ45 NIC has built-in active fan (fan noise audible so I do not like it myself).

I have bought three USB 4 to 10G network adapters from Taobao and all of them are working fine for my use cases --> IOcrest (RMB 599 listed), GRis (RMB 698 listed) and XIkeStor (RMB699 listed). I will recommend the IOcrest version.

I bought all three of them at offer price but the price seems to go up for the IOcrest version (bought at RMB499 in June 2024, 6.18 offer) and GRiS version (bought at RMB 498 in June 2024, 6.18 offer). I bought the XikeStor version at RMB 572.76 in Nov 2024 (11.11 offer). All need to add GST and Shipment. I do not recommend the XIkeStor version as it has audible fan noice and it is bigger than the other two. The other two do not have fan but the temperature is acceptable.
 
Last edited:

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,384
Reaction score
12,320
Anyone did stress test on 10Gbps thunderbolt ethernet adapter? Is the connection stable?

I did iperf3 and OOkla Speedtest but not for very long time. During my tests, they are pretty okay and definitely much cooler than the SFP+ to 10G Optic modules I have (not to mention the hotter SPF+ to 10G RJ45 module).

No issues using them with Mac Mini M1 and Linux. Windows may have a bit lower speed since they all use Marvell AQC107/AQC113C chipset.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,384
Reaction score
12,320
I mentioned Orico USB4/TB4/TB3 to 10G NIC previously. The following is the price info from Taobao.

USB4/TB4 to 10G NIC from Orico, now at RMB 699 from Orico Taobao/Tmall flagship store (usual price at RMB 799). Again it is using Marvell AQC113C chipset.

【淘宝】假一赔四 https://e.tb.cn/h.T9tH7pzkM8IJKHJ?tk=MUpeedi7v8c HU071 「ORICO奥睿科雷电3转10Gbs万兆网络转换器网卡扩展坞雷电4/USB4万兆网卡苹果兼容Macmini适用」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开
 
Last edited:

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,384
Reaction score
12,320
Chinese YouTuber review of Orico USB4/TB4 10G RJ45 network adapter and USB4 Enclosure. He tested with both Mac Mini M4 and Windows and the adapter performs well under both systems. But take note Windows performance may be affected by the system spec and software loaded.

 
Last edited:

Da_Hamster

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2002
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
9
Hey guys so I recontracted the starhub 5gbps earlier this month, and the Starhub trooper came over and installed the Nokia XS-2426X-A for me.

I'm getting these speeds;
- 800-900 mbps on my phones & tablet (when I'm right next to the router)
- 900+ mbps on my desktop connected by Ethernet cable

I've noticed that my computer states that I have a 1000/1000 mbps ethernet port, so can I get some advice on what should I buy so that I can make use of the 5 gbps connection on my desktop?

My computer is approximately less than 3 years old
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,384
Reaction score
12,320
Hey guys so I recontracted the starhub 5gbps earlier this month, and the Starhub trooper came over and installed the Nokia XS-2426X-A for me.

I'm getting these speeds;
- 800-900 mbps on my phones & tablet (when I'm right next to the router)
- 900+ mbps on my desktop connected by Ethernet cable

I've noticed that my computer states that I have a 1000/1000 mbps ethernet port, so can I get some advice on what should I buy so that I can make use of the 5 gbps connection on my desktop?

My computer is approximately less than 3 years old

Read the first page of this thread to see which option you like to go.

Basically, if your desktop has one empty PCIe x 4 or better slot, then get a 10G PCIe Network card, based on Intel chipset like X550 (x4 slot) or older X540 (x8 slot or x16 slot).

If your desktop has only one empty PCIe x 1 slot, then you can get a 5Gbe PCIe Network card, based on RealTek RTL8126 chipset.

If your desktop has no more empty PCIe slot, then you can get a 10Gbe TB4/USB4 Network card if your desktop has a USB 4 port.

Or you can get a RealTek RTL8157 chipset based 5Gbe network card if your desktop does not support USB 4 or if you are not willing to pay for a USB 4 to 10G network card. A USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps) or better port is required in this case.
 
Last edited:

Da_Hamster

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2002
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
9


Just to check, I do have an empty PCIe x 4 or better slot ya?

Which 10G PCIe Network card should I get?
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,384
Reaction score
12,320


Just to check, I do have an empty PCIe x 4 or better slot ya?

Which 10G PCIe Network card should I get?

Intel X540 chipset based 10G NIC if you have PCIe x 8 slot or PCIe x 16 slot.

Intel X550 chipset based 10G NIC if you have PCIe x 4 slot.

You need to check the spec of your desktop or motherboard. Sometimes a PCIe x 16 physical slot may only support x 4 or x 8.

One example from 10Gtek.
https://store.10gtek.com/10g-network-card/c-55

There are many cheap ones from Taobao, especially second hand server network adapters, but I don't know which shop is good. 10Gtek also got Taobao shop.
 
Last edited:

Da_Hamster

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2002
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
9
https://www.asus.com/sg/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-b660m-a-wifi-d4/

I've just checked, my motherboard is this Asus Prime B660M-A Wifi D4

  • Ultrafast connectivity : Intel® Wi-Fi 6, PCIe 4.0, Intel® 1 Gb Ethernet ,rear USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A and front USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A and Type-C®
This should mean that it's a PCIe x4 slot right?

In this case which one should I be purchasing? Hope you can help me with a link to the correct to buy, cause I am unsure which is best for me haha
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top