5GbE and beyond ethernet adapters

shachok86

Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
242
Reaction score
27
This x1 slot will not be able to support 10Gbe NIC which needs x4 or x8.

I guess you will use the x16 slot for the graphics card.

I have not followed up with desktop PCs for quite some time, but IMHO this does not seem to be a good board to go with if you care about 10G NIC.

There are 10Gbe NICs which may work with the M.2 slot so you may still have the chance here if you really need to go with this board. But I have not used them myself.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X870-EAGLE-WIFI7#kf
  • 3 x M.2 Slots​

    • 1 x PCIe 5.0 M.2 UD Slot
    • 2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Slots
  • Full-length PCIe slots​

    • 1 x PCIe 5.0 x16 with PCIe UD Slot
    • 2 x PCIe 3.0 x1 slots
ok thanks xiao fan...guess i wont be taking the ready to ship option from aftershock
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,168
Reaction score
12,204
ok thanks xiao fan...guess i wont be taking the ready to ship option from aftershock

It seems to me that you are going to get a new Zen 5 based desktop.

I will suggest you to go to the Hardware Clinic thread "AMD Zen 5 Discussion Thread ( 5% IPC improvement )", state your requirement/budget and they may be able to provide good recommendations, maybe including ready-made options from local builders like AfterShock or InvaderPC.

I used to read AnandTech and Tom's Hardware but that was many years ago. Now I started to follow a few threads in the Hardware Clinic just to refresh the knowledge. I got a cheap ready-made Invader PC with Ryzen 5 5600G CPU early this year (dual boot Windows 11 and Ubuntu Linux 24.04 version) . In that case, I installed an Intel X520-DA2 dual SFP+ 10G NIC on the PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot (since the 5600G CPU has built-in GPU and I don't play games). I also installed the IOcrest 5Gbe NIC on the PCIe 3.0 x 1 slot. Still got one PCIe 3.0 x 1 slot free.
 

azarel

Master Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2000
Messages
2,658
Reaction score
47
wah shipping from 10GTek so expensive - ha they only provide fedex option which is $35usd.... or taobao is the cheaper alternative for shipping
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,168
Reaction score
12,204
wah shipping from 10GTek so expensive - ha they only provide fedex option which is $35usd.... or taobao is the cheaper alternative for shipping

Taobao should be cheaper, especially using 3rd party forwarders. But do not ask me about the forwarders as I am not an expert in online shopping. My wife handles all these stuff.
 

shachok86

Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
242
Reaction score
27
After using 10G NIC from Xikestor with AQC113 chip, can say that its not good chip... 10G link speed to BE88 SFP+ port but down speed only 3G..only after changing some option at adapter configuration can get 7G down/up speed and next day same thing happen and have to reset the adapter option again. BE88 to ONT stable 8G up/down. Going to get the Intel X550 and try.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,168
Reaction score
12,204
After using 10G NIC from Xikestor with AQC113 chip, can say that its not good chip... 10G link speed to BE88 SFP+ port but down speed only 3G..only after changing some option at adapter configuration can get 7G down/up speed and next day same thing happen and have to reset the adapter option again. BE88 to ONT stable 8G up/down. Going to get the Intel X550 and try.

This seems to be a common problem under Windows, PCIe based 10G NICs based on Marvell chipset (AQC107 and AQC113C) are not good, no matter which brand you get (popular ones are from TP-Link and Asus). Linux should be better.

On the other hand, you do not have choices for USB4/TB4/TB3 based 10G NICs, they are mostly based on Marvell chipset (AQC107 and AQC113C). There are reports of issues under Windows as well, but no issues under Linux and macOS. On the other hand, I do not seem to have big issues with them -- I have three USB4 to 10G NICs, from IOcrest, GRiS and XikeStor.

Post #8 in this thread:
PCI-E adapters using Marvell AQC107/AQC113C chipset may have issues under Windows.

TP-Link TX401and Asus XG-C100C are the most notorious 10G network adapters in this forum under Windows. Both are using Marvell AQC107/AQC113C chipset. Some users have to reinstall Windows to get the right speed.

They are usually fine under Linux. So I will say it is partially Windows problem, partially Marvell problem.
 

guangzong

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,301
Reaction score
206
After using 10G NIC from Xikestor with AQC113 chip, can say that its not good chip... 10G link speed to BE88 SFP+ port but down speed only 3G..only after changing some option at adapter configuration can get 7G down/up speed and next day same thing happen and have to reset the adapter option again. BE88 to ONT stable 8G up/down. Going to get the Intel X550 and try.
I would say do yourself a favor and just get the Intel X550. If you want something more affordable, an "OEM" Intel X540 costs around $20 SGD from AliExpress. It runs warmer than the X550, but if your casing is well ventilated, that would not be an issue.

If you are feeling rich, get the X710 :devilish:
 
Last edited:

Proximus

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2001
Messages
7,004
Reaction score
93
I would say do yourself a favor and just get the Intel X550. If you want something more affordable, an "OEM" Intel X540 costs around $20 SGD from AliExpress. It runs warmer than the X550, but if your casing is well ventilated, that would not be an issue.

If you are feeling rich, get the X710 :devilish:
Not need to go to X710, X520 will do the job just as well at a much lower price point.
 

benjaminyeo

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
11
Anyone using SFP+ module from FS?

im looking to use it with either Xiaomi/hasivo/xike switches. They seem quite affordable for the multi mode fibre compared to 10Gtek
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,168
Reaction score
12,204
Anyone using SFP+ module from FS?

im looking to use it with either Xiaomi/hasivo/xike switches. They seem quite affordable for the multi mode fibre compared to 10Gtek

FS.com is much more expensive than 10Gtek Taobao.

10Gtek Taobao Flagship store is selling the SFP+ optic module at about RMB 45. You can contact 10Gtek about the compatibility with Xiaomi/Hasivo/XikeStor switches.
 

benjaminyeo

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
11
FS.com is much more expensive than 10Gtek Taobao.

10Gtek Taobao Flagship store is selling the SFP+ optic module at about RMB 45. You can contact 10Gtek about the compatibility with Xiaomi/Hasivo/XikeStor switches.
Just checked with them. Nice. I must have missed Taobao listing when researching late into the night. Haha.

10Gtek is indeed cheaper than FS. The customer service advised to get Xiaomi SFP+ module if getting for Hasivo.
 

gundamkitten

Member
Joined
May 18, 2024
Messages
181
Reaction score
122
For users of Realtek-based USB-C to 5Gbps Ethernet adapter dongles, as well as the 1Gbps and 2.5Gbps dongles lah, latest drivers are:

Win11 Auto Installation Program (NetAdapterCx) versions (for different chips) 1152.16.20 , 1153.16.20 , 1155.16.20 , 1156.16.20, 1157.16.20
2024/12/06

Win10 Auto Installation Program version 10.62.20
2024/12/06

https://www.realtek.com/Download/List?cate_id=585
 

guangzong

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,301
Reaction score
206
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...5gbps-10-gbps-enhanced.7030365/post-154448683

Just sharing: if i use a 5 Gbps PCIe Realtek RTL8126 chipset NIC, Windows shows the connection as 5Gbps. But I can only achieve around 3Gbps speed download and uploaded on speedtest.net. I am not sure if this is the limitation on my motherboard's PCIe slot, e.g. insufficient PCIe lanes (it is a PCIe 3.0 x1 slot) or the chipset itself. But this is not important, i can use the Intel 10Gbps NIC.

*Update: i moved the Realtek from the PCIe x1 slot to the motherboard's second PCIe x16 slot (which will run in 8x mode as the GPU is already connected) - it made no difference.
On the same PCIe slot, with the OEM Intel X540-AT2 connected, i could achieve the full 5Gbps speed.
My suspicion is that the RTL8126 chipset may have some limitation, though i read online that some people are able to achieve 5Gbps with it.

Some good news.

I connected the IOCrest 5Gbps PCI-E Realtek RTL8126 NIC from my original PC running AMD 5700X and B450M motherboard, to another Intel 8th generation Dell desktop.
On the Speedtest Windows application, i can achieve around 4.7Gbps download and upload, which is very acceptable. As opposed to the AMD, i could only achieve around 3Gbps down and up.

Conclusion: there may be some limitation on my B450M motherboard.
 

guangzong

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,301
Reaction score
206
Hi @xiaofan,

Between these 3, which one do you like or recommend?

XikeStor SKN-T310GT
IOcrest USB4 to 10G RJ45
GRiS USB4 to 10G

I am considering one for my laptop which has Thunderbolt 4 ports.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,168
Reaction score
12,204
Hi @xiaofan,

Between these 3, which one do you like or recommend?

XikeStor SKN-T310GT
IOcrest USB4 to 10G RJ45
GRiS USB4 to 10G

I am considering one for my laptop which has Thunderbolt 4 ports.

I have all three versions (wasting too much money on 10G stuffs...)

I will recommend IOCrest version. XikeStor has the fan noise which I do not like and it is bigger. The GRiS version actually works as well as IOcrest version but GRiS is not as well known as IOcrest. And I have one GRiS USB to 2.5G adapter dead recently. So far my IOcrest 10Gbe Thunderbolt adapter and 5Gbe PCIe adapers are both working fine.

If you search over the Internet, IOcrest version has the most reviews and I will say the reviews are mostly positive.

Examples:
https://nascompares.com/2024/07/05/iocrest-usb4-to-10gbe-adapter-review/
https://www.michaelstinkerings.org/iocrest-thunderbolt-10g-nic-review/
 

guangzong

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,301
Reaction score
206
I have all three versions (wasting too much money on 10G stuffs...)

I will recommend IOCrest version. XikeStor has the fan noise which I do not like and it is bigger. GRiS is not as well known as IOcrest.

If you search over the Internet, IOcrest version has the most reviews and I will say the reviews are mostly positive.
thank you as always 🙏
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top