5GbE and beyond ethernet adapters

kindredSG

Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2024
Messages
201
Reaction score
204
This should mean that it's a PCIe x4 slot right?
Click its "Specifications" link:

Intel® 14th & 13th & 12th Gen Processors
1 x PCIe 4.0/3.0 x16 slot
Intel® B660 Chipset *
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (supports x4 mode)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (supports x1 mode)

So its basically saying:
  • All 3 slots are full size/length (16x)
  • The top one closest to the CPU is PCIe 4.0 at x16 (16 lanes) when using 12th/13th/14th gen CPUs, which is twice as fast as PCIe 3.0 - you'd want to use this slot if you have a high end GPU.
  • The bottom two are PCIe 3.0
    • Of the bottom two, the top one (i.e. the middle of the 3 slots) is x4 (4 lanes) - which is 32gbit/s
    • Of the bottom two, the bottom one (i.e. the one at the bottom edge of the motherboard) is x1 (1 lane) - which is 8gbit/s
 

Da_Hamster

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2002
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
9
Oh man, and since my GPU uses the top one x16 slot and blocks the 2nd one because of it's large size, I'm left with the bottom 1 which is just a simple x1 8gbit/s?

Just to understand, is the x1 8gbit/s enough to support Starhub's 5gbps or nope it's not good enough?
 

yeenfei

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2011
Messages
980
Reaction score
265
I just bought a new PC, using MSI B850 Gaming Plus Wifi mobo, however i noticed my LAN connection to HB710 is only recognized as 2.5gbe by win11
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,388
Reaction score
12,325
I just bought a new PC, using MSI B850 Gaming Plus Wifi mobo, however i noticed my LAN connection to HB710 is only recognized as 2.5gbe by win11

Answered in another thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...plan-launched.7024290/page-217#post-155153785

It is supposed to have Realtek® 8126VB 5G LAN. So you may need to install the driver as Windows may not have the right driver built-in.

You can check with Asus site to download the LAN driver.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B850-GAMING-PLUS-WIFI/support#driver

Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers
10.73.815.2024
2025-01-08
10.94 MB

Or you can use RealTek driver in the future when Asus stops upgrading the drive.
https://www.realtek.com/Download/List?cate_id=584

It is a trend now that higher end motherboard starts to have 5Gbe network adapter based on Realtek RTL8126x based 5Gbe NIC.

The other 5Gbe chipset is AQC108 from Marvell (Aquantia is now part of Marvell) but it consumes more power than RTL8126x. It is not popular as AQC107/AQC113C based 10G NICs (PCIe x 4 or USB4/TB4/TB3).
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11368/aquantia-launch-aqtion-5g25g1g-nics (news in 2017).
 
Last edited:

kindredSG

Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2024
Messages
201
Reaction score
204
Just to understand, is the x1 8gbit/s enough to support Starhub's 5gbps or nope it's not good enough?
"gbit/s" is the same as "gbps" in case you were wondering - so a 8gbit/s PCIe NIC should be more than enough for a 5gbit/s ISP link. Hell even if you got the 10gbit/s SH service, no one really pushes 10gbit - you're typically capped at 8-9gbit with the tech and contention. Even on a 5gbit/s service, in 99% of cases you won't get that internationally - so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to max everything out on the hardware side.
 

Da_Hamster

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2002
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
9
Oh, in this case, do I need to hunt for a PCIe x1 card for this slot? Or is getting a PCIe x4 card alright for the x1 slot?

Any recommendations on what to buy?
 

kindredSG

Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2024
Messages
201
Reaction score
204
Oh, in this case, do I need to hunt for a PCIe x1 card for this slot? Or is getting a PCIe x4 card alright for the x1 slot?

Any recommendations on what to buy?
Nah any 10gbit card you find should work - it'll just run at the lowest common denominator between the card speed and the slot speed, which in this case should be 8gbit/s - though if you get a SH 5gbps connection then obviously that will be the capped speed (even if you plug your card into the router's 10gbit LAN port).

Lots of recommendations in this thread - start at the first page for a summary of chipsets and cards, and see what others have used and can verify, especially look for anyone mentioning the same OS as you (e.g. Windows, Linux etc). Personally, I have Windows 10, and have an asus xg-c100c - didn't have any issues and managed to push 8gbit with it. Intel chipsets usually also recommended (if legit and not cheap copies).
 

1 Ghz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
10,157
Reaction score
274
Since you are limited to x1 PCIE 3, it's probably better to get a PCIE 3/4 NIC, than a PCIE 2 NIC like X540 ...

If you ever upgrade to 10G XGSPON plan in the future, you will be limited to 8.xGbps (XGSPON limitation), so a PCIE 3 NIC with x1 lane should get you a little than less 8Gbps (8GTs minus PCIE overhead), which is much better than x1 PCIE 2. If you go with a PCIE 4 NIC, you will even be able to hit the XGSPON ceiling if you ever upgrade your PC and use the NIC with x1 PCIE 4.

https://docs.baslerweb.com/knowledge/transfer-speeds-explained-gigatransfers-per-second-gts

PCIE 4.0 NIC: https://www.servethehome.com/networking-cheap-gigaplus-10gbase-t-adapter-mini-review-marvell-aqc113
 
Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
6,908
Reaction score
3,620

Networking: RJ45, DAC, or Fiber – Which Is Best in Your Rack?​

DAC: Still the best (low heat and low latency) and cheapest way to connect to 10G SFP+ IMO, if I had the choice:
0vb0gdJ.jpeg


 

sglandscape

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
6,153
Reaction score
2,973

Networking: RJ45, DAC, or Fiber – Which Is Best in Your Rack?​

DAC: Still the best (low heat and low latency) and cheapest way to connect to 10G SFP+ IMO, if I had the choice:
0vb0gdJ.jpeg



Used to run optics for even patch cabling & connecting the devices with the same room, but have since switched to DAC for those purposes.

Definitely helped reduce power consumption by about 1W for each port, more importantly less heat output. Would highly recommend to use DAC as much as possible if you can. While the DAC cables are cheap, they're about the same price as the optics + cable price now.
 

guangzong

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
208
This is based on the newer Marvell AQC113C-B1 chipset, rather than the older AQC107 on the the TP-Link TX401.

https://shopee.sg/WAVLINK-10G-Base-...63?xptdk=ed8cffed-c326-4655-9e10-451d8202f062

According to this Shopee review, it seems to work better.

Price is about $90+ SGD after shipping and tax.
I got the ASUS XG-C100C v2, which is based on the Marvell AQC113C chipset, instead of the older AQC107 chipset. Just make sure you get the v2, as the v1 is based on the older AQC107. I am pleased to report there are no stability issues. I am able to achieve the maximum speed on my SingTel 5Gbps plan. To save some money, you could get the Wavlink one. To save more, you can get the Fenvi one which costs even less.

Previously i was using the Intel X710 T2L, but that card is rather long, and i do not require two RJ45 ports. This ASUS is smaller, and from my research does not run warm. I will re-deploy the X710 to another PC.

Before that, i used the Intel X540-T2, which runs extremely hot, even though my PC casing is well ventilated.
 

Jurong640

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
45,447
Reaction score
18,618
Hi folks, I need help upgrading my PC's LAN from 2.5G to 10G. I am not so into technical and setting up my PC, the only thing I did to this PC was to install my GPU into the PC.

Appreciate your help:

Currently, my LAN cable is connected to here:

20250204-150439.jpg


I can't easily access it, but it seems that the LAN port and all the USB ports is as a whole.

I noticed I have another PCIE4 port below my GPU:
20250204-144739.jpg


My question is, can I just get a 10G PIC E4 and install, plug my LAN cable into the PC (after installing the drivers), and ignore the other ethernet port?

Meaning I have now 2 ethernet ports, but I plug my ethernet into the second port (PCI E4).

If possible, I would like recommendations for a good and affordable 10G PCIE4. I've read some of the recommendations above, and I also scanned through aliexpress and saw a few selections.

And I hope it can fit

Thank you
 

sglandscape

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
6,153
Reaction score
2,973
Hi folks, I need help upgrading my PC's LAN from 2.5G to 10G. I am not so into technical and setting up my PC, the only thing I did to this PC was to install my GPU into the PC.

Appreciate your help:

Currently, my LAN cable is connected to here:

20250204-150439.jpg


I can't easily access it, but it seems that the LAN port and all the USB ports is as a whole.

I noticed I have another PCIE4 port below my GPU:
20250204-144739.jpg


My question is, can I just get a 10G PIC E4 and install, plug my LAN cable into the PC (after installing the drivers), and ignore the other ethernet port?

Meaning I have now 2 ethernet ports, but I plug my ethernet into the second port (PCI E4).

If possible, I would like recommendations for a good and affordable 10G PCIE4. I've read some of the recommendations above, and I also scanned through aliexpress and saw a few selections.

And I hope it can fit

Thank you
Yes you can, provided you can make it fit under the gpu.
 

abstrax

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2001
Messages
1,551
Reaction score
173
Hi folks, I need help upgrading my PC's LAN from 2.5G to 10G. I am not so into technical and setting up my PC, the only thing I did to this PC was to install my GPU into the PC.

Appreciate your help:

Currently, my LAN cable is connected to here:

20250204-150439.jpg


I can't easily access it, but it seems that the LAN port and all the USB ports is as a whole.

I noticed I have another PCIE4 port below my GPU:
20250204-144739.jpg


My question is, can I just get a 10G PIC E4 and install, plug my LAN cable into the PC (after installing the drivers), and ignore the other ethernet port?

Meaning I have now 2 ethernet ports, but I plug my ethernet into the second port (PCI E4).

If possible, I would like recommendations for a good and affordable 10G PCIE4. I've read some of the recommendations above, and I also scanned through aliexpress and saw a few selections.

And I hope it can fit

Thank you
u can disable the m/b LAN port in bios or windows if u r not using it.

Hope ur GPU can get good air flow if the LAN card is so near the fans.

Also, 10Gbe LAN card generate alot heat too. I am using Intel X540-T2
 

1 Ghz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
10,157
Reaction score
274
If your PC needs to be woken up via wake-on-lan, the only way to do that via the integrated NIC. Wifi might also be possible.
 

Jurong640

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
45,447
Reaction score
18,618
u can disable the m/b LAN port in bios or windows if u r not using it.

Hope ur GPU can get good air flow if the LAN card is so near the fans.

Also, 10Gbe LAN card generate alot heat too. I am using Intel X540-T2
ok. So if I install the 10G LAN, i will see 2 Ethernet (options) on the windows Network Connections (under control panel) and I just disable the other one?

Hope so, my PC has quite a few fans for good airflow.

Does your X540-T2 run hot? I saw it has heatsinks. there's 2 options, 矮挡板 and 高矮双挡板, may i know which you get ?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top