Advice on Penang

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,518
Reaction score
6,089
Oh G hotel. We have corporates rates with them. Let me check with colleagues for reviews.

By the way, saw a video in YouTube about penang food. There is this restaurant selling cow p_n_s. Do u know where it is?

That's will be great, if not for the price I will book there.
Sorry I'm not really a food hunter, I go where eat where type. Can google.
For more foods and attraction, you check out Penang FB.
 

Kaki369

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
5,530
Reaction score
0
for food,
  • Beef Soup Koay Teow @ Lam Ah Coffee Shop (opp fire station)
  • Pasar Air Itam Laksa (near Kek lok si temple)
  • if at Balik Pulau, do try the penang laksa at Kim Seng Kopitiam
  • naughty nuri (bali famous pork ribs) is at japan burma

The beef soup still there opposite the fire station ah?
 

fisherman33

Member
Joined
May 6, 2005
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
That's will be great, if not for the price I will book there.
Sorry I'm not really a food hunter, I go where eat where type. Can google.
For more foods and attraction, you check out Penang FB.


what is durian price in penang now on average? per kg, Rm20 or 40?
Just buy from market, pasar malam or balek pulau.
 

Papermate

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2017
Messages
9,023
Reaction score
0
Just booked flight to Penang end July for 3 days trip. Will arrive penang about 6pm on a Saturday and depart at 9pm on Tue.

This is my 1st trip and planning to stay at Georgetown area. Want to ask the experts here if the traffic be bad when going to Georgetown?

Any recommended places to go? Won't be going penang hill due to the hot weather.

Is 3 days enough or should I stay 1 more night? This trip is mainly for eating and a bit of shopping.
Penang is "famous" for its char koey teow and Assam laksa.

Yes, they spell char kway teow as char koey teow. There is one stall right in the heart of "Chinatown" which is quite nice, but I am afraid I am unable to give you the exact name of the coffee shop, which looks like those old coffee shops we have in Singapore.

One place people would go to is Gurney Drive, which is an open air "food court" similar to our Newton Circus. I am not sure if it's still in business but last I went there a few years ago, it was, though some stalls were not opened.

Assam laksa is now available in Singapore and it tastes quite authentic. So, it's not really necessary to go all the way to Penang for that. But it may still be worthwhile to eat it there for an experience.

Penang is a rather laid back city, and many of the shops are closed by 7 pm or so. But the bigger shopping centres remain open.

Maybe you can use Grab to go around because the taxis are day light robbers. Their prices (taxis) are fixed and skyhigh. I refused to be cheated by them and took the local buses. That was before Grab and Uber became widely available.

As to shopping, Penang is not exactly a shopper's paradise. In fact, Malaysia is not even a shopping Mecca, and if you see how jiu hu kias and jiu hu gina dress here in Singapore, you'd get what I mean. The "fashion" are ten to fifteen years behind. You get better range and better prices in Singapore.

I remember reading in Tripadvisor some Singaporeans asking about shopping for fashion wear in Perth which was really embarassing. Really suaku......because Perth is hardly a place for shopping...so, if you do go to Tripadvisor to ask for advice, I would not suggest asking about shopping in Penang.

But then again, it depends on what you mean by "shopping". Computer stuff (well this forum is HWZ right)? Again, Penang is hardly the place to look for the latest gadgets.

So what do you intend to buy? Some specialised item which is found in Penang? Belacan? Pon Piah? All are available in Singapore.

A 3 or 4 day trip to one single city as laidback as Penang is not something I would do. I would make it a 7 or 8 day vacation covering Penang, KL and Ipoh or Penang, Ipoh and Cameron Highlands. A couple of days in each city would be enough. But you need to do your research, so as not to waste time losing your way. Malaysia - it is easy to move around the country anyway using their coaches. But to each his own. Some people say it's too hectic wor, but I like the rides...
 

TLCTLC88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
11,454
Reaction score
2,692
If I want to take grab from airport, where should I go? I know airport is small but will be helpful to know exact spot.
 

palmpda

Suspended
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
962
Reaction score
21
Settle all your stuff on the arrival hall (sim card, maps etc) and proceed one level up to departure hall to book your grab ride.

Just don't tell anyone you are taking grab :p


If I want to take grab from airport, where should I go? I know airport is small but will be helpful to know exact spot.
 

bineygo

Junior Member
Joined
May 4, 2018
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Settle all your stuff on the arrival hall (sim card, maps etc) and proceed one level up to departure hall to book your grab ride.

Just don't tell anyone you are taking grab :p
Actually if you are getting a Malaysian sim for the trip, can consider downloading this local app MyCar. Helps the local drivers and is pretty fast to get a driver too
 

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2012
Messages
19,009
Reaction score
0
can any1 advise on penang to hatyai? thinking of booking minivan in
got any unspoken practice at eg customs?
whats the process like after boarding minivan at penang? any big no-nos?

i heard thai border custom only open during certain timings?

TIA
 

TLCTLC88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
11,454
Reaction score
2,692
You still need to app grab as you would not see them (drivers).
For your infor: grab app will auto change to Malaysia version when you arrive.

huh? See them?

I have Grab app on my mobile and used in Bangkok. It should work the same, no?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top