Advice on Penang

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,520
Reaction score
6,089
can any1 advise on penang to hatyai? thinking of booking minivan in
got any unspoken practice at eg customs?
whats the process like after boarding minivan at penang? any big no-nos?

i heard thai border custom only open during certain timings?

TIA

I haven't try crossing this Malaysia Thai border before, you can open a new thread in Malaysia and Thai forum.
 

withluck

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
Flight is the best.
If you going during peak season, can consider Koh Lipe (Thailand).

you can ferry from penang to langkawi and vice versa. ticket can be purchased online. it has morning and afternoon schedule daily. for more frequencies, you may consider kuala kedah or kuala perlis.
 

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,520
Reaction score
6,089
you can ferry from penang to langkawi and vice versa. ticket can be purchased online. it has morning and afternoon schedule daily. for more frequencies, you may consider kuala kedah or kuala perlis.

I know that, I did a research on it and flight is the fastest.
 

iphone88

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
843
Reaction score
6
hi,
plan to stay near georgetown/gurney drive.
airbnb or hotel is more recommended?
Budget about SGD100 per night.
 

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
7,216
Reaction score
206
most attractions in Penang and rest of malaysia practices price discrimination, which is a turnoff :(

penang hill costs 3x for foreigners and almost double for upside down museum
 

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,520
Reaction score
6,089
most attractions in Penang and rest of malaysia practices price discrimination, which is a turnoff :(

penang hill costs 3x for foreigners and almost double for upside down museum

Malaysia is not alone, Taiwan and other countries also the same.
 

pacetone

Senior Member
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
943
Reaction score
1
most attractions in Penang and rest of malaysia practices price discrimination, which is a turnoff :(

penang hill costs 3x for foreigners and almost double for upside down museum

I don't see a issue to this. In fact, if countries practise such rules, it is good for that country to take care of her citizens first. Like in Taiwan, the Taiwanese get better hotel rates than the foreigners.
 

zensushi

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
58,430
Reaction score
10,759
Is Grab the preferred way to zip around in Penang now? Previously, I just take the cabs, with their non-metered fares. :sad:

How does one pay for the Grab rides? Cash? I've only ever used Uber in the UK. Those rides were charged to my credit card.
 

Ronaldo88

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
27,168
Reaction score
3,505
Is Grab the preferred way to zip around in Penang now? Previously, I just take the cabs, with their non-metered fares. :sad:

How does one pay for the Grab rides? Cash? I've only ever used Uber in the UK. Those rides were charged to my credit card.

I pay cash..i gve extra..few dollar
 

withluck

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
Is Grab the preferred way to zip around in Penang now? Previously, I just take the cabs, with their non-metered fares. :sad:

How does one pay for the Grab rides? Cash? I've only ever used Uber in the UK. Those rides were charged to my credit card.

cash and credit card payment are acceptable.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top