Advice on Penang

champ22

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2013
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

Lot of msgs here mentioning that Uber n Grab is cheaper than normal taxi, may I know how to access data from SG mobile there to book them ?
Need to buy a local sim there with 3g plan ?

How is payment deducted ? Do we lose in currency conversion since it will be charged on SG card ?

For Grab, they have option of Grab Car and Grab Taxi (atleast in SG I see 2 options), which one to go for ?
Thanks in advance for replies.
 

champ22

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2013
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

Lot of msgs here mentioning that Uber n Grab is cheaper than normal taxi, may I know how to access data from SG mobile there to book them ?
Need to buy a local sim there with 3g plan ?

How is payment deducted ? Do we lose in currency conversion since it will be charged on SG card ?

For Grab, they have option of Grab Car and Grab Taxi (atleast in SG I see 2 options), which one to go for ?
Thanks in advance for replies.

Anyone can help to enlighten pls ?
 

Habrosus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
29,181
Reaction score
13,180
Hi All,

Lot of msgs here mentioning that Uber n Grab is cheaper than normal taxi, may I know how to access data from SG mobile there to book them ?
Need to buy a local sim there with 3g plan ?

How is payment deducted ? Do we lose in currency conversion since it will be charged on SG card ?

For Grab, they have option of Grab Car and Grab Taxi (atleast in SG I see 2 options), which one to go for ?
Thanks in advance for replies.

Starhub and M1 prepaid cards allow you to use the existing data in Malaysia, BUT I feel it's better to get a Malaysian number (prepaid card) so that the Uber and Grab drivers will not hesitate to call you if they need to confirm your exact pick-up location.

The Grab app that I downloaded and been using in Malaysia (initially known as MyTeksi) shows options like GrabCar (Economy), Budget (Taxi), GrabHitch, and Executive (Taxi).

I started off using GrabTaxi in JB then Melaka, but after trying GrabCar in JB I think I'm going to stick to it as long as I don't encounter any unpleasant experience. Those cars I've boarded so far are more comfortable than the taxis. :o
 

|XterA|

Master Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
2,928
Reaction score
30
anyone try both grab and uber? Which one is cheaper and better?
 
Last edited:

alpc

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2000
Messages
2,008
Reaction score
0
I think the season is over. I did have some when I was back in Penang around 20 May - 5 (different breeds) durians and it was good.

I think the next available timing will be Nov/Dec.
 

orhanzi

Master Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
4,581
Reaction score
841
Just came bacl from penang. Ah teik durian is ex as boss claim that quantity of durian is low. Red prawn 36myr per kg. Black thorn 60myr per kg, msw 80myr per kg. I went further down to balik palau fcs durian Plantation for more durians, have to say its alot cheaper there, good quality as well. Most durian 30-40myr per kg, but to drive there is rather risky, as the road is so narrow for cars to move in. Next to road is the cliff.
 

|XterA|

Master Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
2,928
Reaction score
30
Just came bacl from penang. Ah teik durian is ex as boss claim that quantity of durian is low. Red prawn 36myr per kg. Black thorn 60myr per kg, msw 80myr per kg. I went further down to balik palau fcs durian Plantation for more durians, have to say its alot cheaper there, good quality as well. Most durian 30-40myr per kg, but to drive there is rather risky, as the road is so narrow for cars to move in. Next to road is the cliff.

Oh crap. Anymore places to recommend? Planning to eat durian at there.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,037
Reaction score
1,920
This is simply a bad year for durians. No point hunting high and low for durians, if there is a big chance to get disappointed.
 

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
14,804
Reaction score
221
Btw guys, ask U all. I am planning to go Penang in end Nov, but I see the air tickets are so more ex as compared last year. Paid $130 in 2015, now around $220. So am exploring the possibility going in by coach, return by flight.
Can I ask U all what are the better coaches around and their estimated price ranges? TIA.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 2 using GAGT
 

chaotah

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
8,241
Reaction score
48

|XterA|

Master Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
2,928
Reaction score
30
Precisely. Wait for sales. Bought for 60+ return. Just came back. Few selection of durians. 1kg 30rm+.
 

FandiAhmad17

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
151
Going to Penang via Star Cruise. Will reach Penang around early afternoon and ship is leaving around 11pm (half day).

Can advise me where go and what to do? Our group consists mainly adults and 1 toddler. Thanks in advance!
 

chaotah

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
8,241
Reaction score
48
4D3N cruise already jiak a lot, so need to go walk walk around Penang and explore a bit.
Check if stopping by the port, or at sea with a ferry transfer. The latter might not be a good idea with toddler.

Rule of thumb is ignore those touts and taxi at the port. Walk further away to Uber or hail the street taxi.

Penang is small so the rest depends on where you want to go.

Sent from Sony E6853 using GAGT
 

FandiAhmad17

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
151
Check if stopping by the port, or at sea with a ferry transfer. The latter might not be a good idea with toddler.

Rule of thumb is ignore those touts and taxi at the port. Walk further away to Uber or hail the street taxi.

Penang is small so the rest depends on where you want to go.

Sent from Sony E6853 using GAGT

Stopping at port. Which app is better in Penang? Grab or Uber?

Can I use Grab or Uber at the port? Or need to walk further first?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top