Advice on Penang

palmpda

Suspended
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
962
Reaction score
21

funnywits

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
62
Reaction score
7
hi, am going penang in the near future. I understand that the penang airport sells prepaid sim card. I will need it for 4-5days, and I am thinking of getting it at the airport as I will need internet access to contact the accommodation and also for uber/grab. but I have also heard that the dealers who sell at the airport are selling it at higher prices. may I know how much is it? I am looking at changi airport which sells 1week worth of usage (2gb) for sgd12. is this worth getting or I should get it at penang airport?
 

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,534
Reaction score
6,102
hi, am going penang in the near future. I understand that the penang airport sells prepaid sim card. I will need it for 4-5days, and I am thinking of getting it at the airport as I will need internet access to contact the accommodation and also for uber/grab. but I have also heard that the dealers who sell at the airport are selling it at higher prices. may I know how much is it? I am looking at changi airport which sells 1week worth of usage (2gb) for sgd12. is this worth getting or I should get it at penang airport?

Another thread regarding sim card can give you better answer.
Anyway, I did not buy sim card when I'm in penang, I have no problem getting grab car using the app install in sg, I use wifi router. Grab car is very cheap in penang.
 

joysl82

Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
158
Reaction score
0
hi, am going penang in the near future. I understand that the penang airport sells prepaid sim card. I will need it for 4-5days, and I am thinking of getting it at the airport as I will need internet access to contact the accommodation and also for uber/grab. but I have also heard that the dealers who sell at the airport are selling it at higher prices. may I know how much is it? I am looking at changi airport which sells 1week worth of usage (2gb) for sgd12. is this worth getting or I should get it at penang airport?

get hotlink from airport. rm26 for 4gb of data with rm5 for calls. there's promo of free 1gb of data to claim from the hotlink app from 7am to 7pm everyday. more than enough for 4 days. u see few counters after disembarking and b4 immigration.


grab is cheap in penang. abt average rm7 per trip, short distance within Georgetown. I spent abt rm100 for grab for 4 days for 4 pax. skip airport taxi or local taxi. no issue of using grab that is installed in sg, as the app use gps to locate you.
 
Last edited:

palmpda

Suspended
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
962
Reaction score
21
Just came back from 4d3n trip to Penang.

Stayed 2 nights at Le Dream and 1 night at Hotel Jen.

Le Dream - 2nd time staying and the standards have maintained. Their breakfast can easily rival those of any 4 or 5 star properties there. Their full suites of benefits machiam club room/lounge stay.

Hotel Jen - utilized the 1 free night I have from Hotels.com and top up less than S$20 to stay in their Club King room. Overall, very nice stay as all the rooms on their club floor have been newly renovated.


staying in Le Dream now. Nice and clean room. Love the toilet design too.
 

librarian

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2015
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
I found this contact during my planning stage but need not use, maybe you can try.
Ms Tien, +601110504744 you can whatsapp her for quote. rm 300 for up to 8 hours service for 2 persons.

Have you considered getting a rental car and driving yourself around, it can work out to be cheaper. Just that parking can be a challenge especially in certain parts of Georgetown.
 

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,534
Reaction score
6,102
Have you considered getting a rental car and driving yourself around, it can work out to be cheaper. Just that parking can be a challenge especially in certain parts of Georgetown.

Transport in Georgetown is convenient, just need to book driver for 1 day. Anyway, I'm back from the trip.
 

palmpda

Suspended
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
962
Reaction score
21
Just sharing some notes I made to a friend recently:

1. Airlines

Usually take Air Asia….timings and pricings always seem to be better for…..sometimes it is even cheaper to book the outgoing and return flights separately.

However, for a group of 3, you risk being assigned separate seats by the system, and check-in luggage is not included.

In recent trip, didn't encounter any strict enforcement of the 2 piece carry on rule unlike what was reported at other Malaysia airports.

2. Accommodations

For most people, seems Georgetown should be the place to be based in.

My current favourite is Le Dream Boutique Hotel, a 3.5/4-star property with a full suite of additional benefits that makes it feel 5 star. Check out the TA reviews.

For the more traditional hotel types, Hotel Jen Club rooms are good for the prices.

Sign up as a member at Hotels.com and Agoda and compare prices.

On top of what you already paid to the booking site, you may need to pay a Heritage Tax directly to the hotel. Also email the hotel how much cash deposit they need upon arrival.

3. Transport

Use Malaysian SIM card and use Grab all the way. Can pay cash to avoid current conversion overheads.

Don’t tell any taxi driver that you are taking Grab to avoid problems for yourself or the driver.

4. Penang Airport

Usual small Malaysia airport, nothing much.

SIM card can be bought at airport before you exit into the public area of the arrival floor.

Then after you exit into public area, likely you will see the taxi counter, just say no when asked if need taxi. Turn right and walk on and you will reach a stand with a lot of maps. Help yourself.

Then walk to level 2 which is the departure hall, and book your Grab driver there. Likely the driver already waiting outside.

Try not to arrive or leave at morning and afternoon peak hours else lots of time wasted in jams. If no jam, it’s about 15-20 mins drive between Airport and Georgetown.

5. Buses

Run by company called Rapid Penang.

There are the:

a. Public buses that everyone uses
b. CAT buses (that everyone uses) that are free and run 2 routes in the core and buffer zones of Georgetown
c. Hop On-Hop Off buses – not very recommended due to prices and other issues that I’ve read
If taking a lot of buses, can google for Rapid Passport which is a 7-day validity pass that allows free travel on all buses. Need to be purchased using a passport at Komtar interchange.

6. Things to do/Food to eat

Too many and subjective to individual interests.

7. More infor
a. Trip Advisor
b. HWZ http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/malaysia-269/advice-penang-2160517-117.html
c. http://www.mypenang.gov.my/
 

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,534
Reaction score
6,102
Just sharing some notes I made to a friend recently:

1. Airlines

Usually take Air Asia….timings and pricings always seem to be better for…..sometimes it is even cheaper to book the outgoing and return flights separately.

However, for a group of 3, you risk being assigned separate seats by the system, and check-in luggage is not included.

In recent trip, didn't encounter any strict enforcement of the 2 piece carry on rule unlike what was reported at other Malaysia airports.

2. Accommodations

For most people, seems Georgetown should be the place to be based in.

My current favourite is Le Dream Boutique Hotel, a 3.5/4-star property with a full suite of additional benefits that makes it feel 5 star. Check out the TA reviews.

For the more traditional hotel types, Hotel Jen Club rooms are good for the prices.

Sign up as a member at Hotels.com and Agoda and compare prices.

On top of what you already paid to the booking site, you may need to pay a Heritage Tax directly to the hotel. Also email the hotel how much cash deposit they need upon arrival.

3. Transport

Use Malaysian SIM card and use Grab all the way. Can pay cash to avoid current conversion overheads.

Don’t tell any taxi driver that you are taking Grab to avoid problems for yourself or the driver.

4. Penang Airport

Usual small Malaysia airport, nothing much.

SIM card can be bought at airport before you exit into the public area of the arrival floor.

Then after you exit into public area, likely you will see the taxi counter, just say no when asked if need taxi. Turn right and walk on and you will reach a stand with a lot of maps. Help yourself.

Then walk to level 2 which is the departure hall, and book your Grab driver there. Likely the driver already waiting outside.

Try not to arrive or leave at morning and afternoon peak hours else lots of time wasted in jams. If no jam, it’s about 15-20 mins drive between Airport and Georgetown.

5. Buses

Run by company called Rapid Penang.

There are the:

a. Public buses that everyone uses
b. CAT buses (that everyone uses) that are free and run 2 routes in the core and buffer zones of Georgetown
c. Hop On-Hop Off buses – not very recommended due to prices and other issues that I’ve read
If taking a lot of buses, can google for Rapid Passport which is a 7-day validity pass that allows free travel on all buses. Need to be purchased using a passport at Komtar interchange.

6. Things to do/Food to eat

Too many and subjective to individual interests.

7. More infor
a. Trip Advisor
b. HWZ http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/malaysia-269/advice-penang-2160517-117.html
c. http://www.mypenang.gov.my/

You can pay $5 to choose seat during the booking.
I stay in Sunway, price cheap with many food stalls nearby.
Grabcar can use sg sim with wifi to book, although some time the driver will call to confirm location.
 

Monstruo^

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
25,039
Reaction score
13,053
hi guys, I would need some help:

I will be staying at Eastern & Oriental Hotel (George Town). It will be my first time to Penang.

I have so far came up with a food list, but they are all street food. :s13::s22:

However, do you guys have recommendations for nice restaurants and cafes? The highlight of the trip besides random eating is to celebrate birthday for gf. Hence, the restaurant ambience has to be nice and the food also must be nice lol. Can do lunch or dinner or both. Preferably Peranakan cuisine, but ok with Chinese cuisine as well.

Is Kebaya overrated? I really have no idea.
Ming Garden?
1885 Restaurant at Eastern & Oriental Hotel?

I have researched on many websites, they mostly talked about street food though. :o
 
Last edited:

palmpda

Suspended
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
962
Reaction score
21
Ask the same question to th hotel, letting them know it is a special trip to celebrate birthday.

If not able to get the answer before the trip then ask the concierge when you get there.




hi guys, I would need some help:

I will be staying at Eastern & Oriental Hotel (George Town). It will be my first time to Penang.

I have so far came up with a food list, but they are all street food. :s13::s22:

However, do you guys have recommendations for nice restaurants and cafes? The highlight of the trip besides random eating is to celebrate birthday for gf. Hence, the restaurant ambience has to be nice and the food also must be nice lol. Can do lunch or dinner or both. Preferably Peranakan cuisine, but ok with Chinese cuisine as well.

Is Kebaya overrated? I really have no idea.
Ming Garden?
1885 Restaurant at Eastern & Oriental Hotel?

I have researched on many websites, they mostly talked about street food though. :o
 

Monstruo^

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
25,039
Reaction score
13,053
Ask the same question to th hotel, letting them know it is a special trip to celebrate birthday.

If not able to get the answer before the trip then ask the concierge when you get there.

Dude, need booking in advance.

I am asking for recommendations from people who have been to those mentioned restaurants, or anywhere else they had been to (that was enjoyable - food, ambience, etc).
 

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,534
Reaction score
6,102
Before my trip to penang, I do many research on penang good food, and all of them are street foods. After I went there, yes, in deed there are so many street foods and some are different from our hawker centre food. I enjoy them a lot and it's cheap.
There are many restaurants in Straits Quay, you can check for more in Tripadvisor.
 

GenuineSeller

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
1,421
Reaction score
3
For BD celebration, you might want to bring her to "Farquhar Mansion" for fine dining.

Kebaya food is pretty good but perhaps ambience not too romantic.

hi guys, I would need some help:

I will be staying at Eastern & Oriental Hotel (George Town). It will be my first time to Penang.

I have so far came up with a food list, but they are all street food. :s13::s22:

However, do you guys have recommendations for nice restaurants and cafes? The highlight of the trip besides random eating is to celebrate birthday for gf. Hence, the restaurant ambience has to be nice and the food also must be nice lol. Can do lunch or dinner or both. Preferably Peranakan cuisine, but ok with Chinese cuisine as well.

Is Kebaya overrated? I really have no idea.
Ming Garden?
1885 Restaurant at Eastern & Oriental Hotel?

I have researched on many websites, they mostly talked about street food though. :o
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top