Advice on Penang

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,534
Reaction score
6,102
Im planning to buy Starhub happy roam for my penang trip this Sep and Hk trip this Nov.

Is it ok for me to book grab/uber using my starhub happy roam? Or is it better if i get a malaysia prepaid card for booking?

The only difference is that i can't call my driver if im using starhub happy roam. But I'm thinking is there really a near to call my driver since I can use the text function within the app.

When I was there, I didn't get sim card for my phone only have wifi router. Call grab using sg app have no problem, but driver will then to call you to confirm location. Once, a pickup truck arrive at my hotel with only 2 extra seat in front and no other seat, was shocking!! Lucky only 2 of us.
 

littlenini

Member
Joined
May 2, 2009
Messages
360
Reaction score
320
Any hotel to recommend?

Hi, anyone can recommend a few hotels in penang, best is within places of interests, will be going with 2 elderly, thank you in advance.
 

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,534
Reaction score
6,102
Hi, anyone can recommend a few hotels in penang, best is within places of interests, will be going with 2 elderly, thank you in advance.

I stay in sunway hotel once, location not bad, room is big, nearby got a lot of makan. Grab to gurney about 6 rm, to Pulau Tikus Hawker Center 5rm.
Beside hotel got a shop selling penang biscuit can buy last minute.
 

redname

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2000
Messages
38,319
Reaction score
777
Im planning to buy Starhub happy roam for my penang trip this Sep and Hk trip this Nov.

Is it ok for me to book grab/uber using my starhub happy roam? Or is it better if i get a malaysia prepaid card for booking?

The only difference is that i can't call my driver if im using starhub happy roam. But I'm thinking is there really a near to call my driver since I can use the text function within the app.

If u don't need to remain in contact with ur sing num then go get a prepaid, ard sgd10, can call the driver also.

I use uber there, somehow my grab can't work
 

FreshGradDays

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2015
Messages
739
Reaction score
0
Im planning to buy Starhub happy roam for my penang trip this Sep and Hk trip this Nov.

Is it ok for me to book grab/uber using my starhub happy roam? Or is it better if i get a malaysia prepaid card for booking?

The only difference is that i can't call my driver if im using starhub happy roam. But I'm thinking is there really a near to call my driver since I can use the text function within the app.

Once i got an uber with no data and prepaid. Just using shopping mall wifi lol. As long as got data is ok
 

redname

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2000
Messages
38,319
Reaction score
777
How is your uber experience?

Gd for locations tht r popular, some locations r hard to find even with GPS, so some of the non Penang drivers will have a hard time.

1 thing I don't like is uber need cash, however uber seems cheaper than grab here, so give and take lah :)
 
Last edited:

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,534
Reaction score
6,102
Gd for locations tht r popular, some locations r hard to find even with GPS, so some of the non Penang drivers will have a hard time.

1 thing I don't like is uber need cash, however uber seems cheaper than grab here, so give and take lah :)

Oh I thought uber is cashless, I prefer to pay cash.
 

ckboyz

Master Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
103
When I was there, I didn't get sim card for my phone only have wifi router. Call grab using sg app have no problem, but driver will then to call you to confirm location. Once, a pickup truck arrive at my hotel with only 2 extra seat in front and no other seat, was shocking!! Lucky only 2 of us.

If u don't need to remain in contact with ur sing num then go get a prepaid, ard sgd10, can call the driver also.

I use uber there, somehow my grab can't work

Once i got an uber with no data and prepaid. Just using shopping mall wifi lol. As long as got data is ok

Thanks guys!

I think i will just get a malaysia prepaid card!
 
Last edited:

ashary1

Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
Hi..just came back from Penang last week and thought I can share my experience there using Grab/Uber.
I came with a Starhub prepaid but once reached Penang Airport, I bought a Malaysian prepaid as well for backup. My first Grab trip I used the Starhub prepaid data, I had difficulties finding the driver as he can't call me. We had to rely on the Grap app to send messages. The next few trips, I used Grab/Uber depending on the availability with Malaysian prepaid and most of the time the driver will call me to confirm location. So yes its better to use a M'sian prepaid so the drivers can call and confirm faster.
I also found that Uber GPS is better than Grab GPS over there. A couple of times, Grab drivers went to opposite building of where I was. And some of the destinations I typed which can't be found in Grab app can be found in Uber. Btw, I travelled with a total 4 adults and 3 small kids and I state this in the Remarks so most of the time, drivers were kind enough to let us in 1 vehicle from UberXL & Grab 6-seater. Only during the journey to/fro airport was squeezy due to the luggages. Hope this helps.
 

Frankz

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2003
Messages
1,528
Reaction score
0
Anyone has experienced with renting car in penang? Tried to find online, but couldn't find much information. I'm comparing between kasina and hertz. Going there this weekend for 3d2n

Also..how's the road condition like in penang? Congested?

Thanks!
 

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
17,534
Reaction score
6,102
Anyone has experienced with renting car in penang? Tried to find online, but couldn't find much information. I'm comparing between kasina and hertz. Going there this weekend for 3d2n

Also..how's the road condition like in penang? Congested?

Thanks!

There are many car rental companies at the airport, I don't know which are better. You can ask in tripadvisor forum under penang forum for better answer.
I take public bus and also hire a private driver for a day, the road are not congested even to mainland.
Batu Ferringhi may have heavy traffic in the evening.
 

sendtolee

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
940
Reaction score
0
Anyone has experienced with renting car in penang? Tried to find online, but couldn't find much information. I'm comparing between kasina and hertz. Going there this weekend for 3d2n

Also..how's the road condition like in penang? Congested?

Thanks!

The cheapest and most reliable I used before...

http://www.penangcar-rental.com/

Jam, not really, except durin peak hours.

The problem is very limited parking spaces in Georgetown. Have to keep circling and please note there are many 1-way streets and roads on Penang island.
 

redname

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2000
Messages
38,319
Reaction score
777
Anyone has experienced with renting car in penang? Tried to find online, but couldn't find much information. I'm comparing between kasina and hertz. Going there this weekend for 3d2n

Also..how's the road condition like in penang? Congested?

Thanks!

jus use uber lah bro, dam convinent
 

figo16

Banned
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
26,844
Reaction score
5,418
Hi everyone,

Am going to Penang for 1 day trip.

Should i rent a car or take grab there?

Will reach Penang at 1030am and my flight is at 830pm.

Any places I must go and eat? I realized alot of nice stalls mostly open at night, which I dont think i can make it.

1 day trip is too short to enjoy penang. last time i spent 2d1n also not enough. need to visit penang again.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top