Air purifier? - Part 2

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,256
Reaction score
11,571
I assume the takeaway is, one simply cannot full blast ap for a while, then drop back to low noise/speed level as the Aircon will reintroduce the allergen back to the room? And it needs at least medium (at least for XM 3H) or higher to counter this?

Finally got the evidence and data. So from the last diagram, looks like it'd be good for aim for at least 60 mins of higher ACH for filtration, or a longer 120 min if you are more comfortable with that.
After that can put it into say 2/5 or 3/5 speed on the Xiaomi. If you are a light sleeper then make your own provision for a second unit possibly or just bear with the lower ACH and see if you get any symptoms.

These things not easy to try around one, takes a heck loads of time.

Also depends on what kind of in depth cleaning you have on your aircon and your sensitivity levels of coz.


One more thing, even after 60-120 mins, the difference in concentrations are 3X difference, 500 CFUs and 1500 CFUs. . This does not mean first 90 mins or so you'd need 300 m3h/hr and after 90 mins you can drop to 100 m3 /hr, the correlation is not direct, simply coz even from 120-240 mins, there is still introduction of mold to the air, albeit dropping in output levels by the AC FCU. There will also be slight natural drop/decay of the mold particles. It's a bit difficult to explain but for those who have meters for PM and CO2 and been playing with APs and haze and opening the doors or leaving a gap in windows for CO2/air exchange, you'd know what i mean.
 
Last edited:

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
6,559
Reaction score
345
Wow. Appreciate your wholesome sharing, WussRedXLi. Took awhile for me to digest and there were takeaway lessons to learn from.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,256
Reaction score
11,571
Wow. Appreciate your wholesome sharing, WussRedXLi. Took awhile for me to digest and there were takeaway lessons to learn from.
No prob, i learnt a fair bit also by digging into more details.

Nowadays in the aircon room I have already throttled down the overall airflow when sleeping, save a bit on the electricity and stuff like noise.........see if within the next few months or so will trigger anyone's allergy over the current baseline (which is very low).
But i really doubt so, coz my aircon FCUs are also DIY maintained to a very very level (at least equivalent to a high pressure chemical wash once every 2 mths). In fact i jitao switched off my Mfresh M8088a (think of it as a Xiaomi Pro H), last time i was doing speed 2 (out of 4) or night mode. Can save on the filters as well.

Nevertheless if can kickdown to a lower speed during sleep, is good, maybe 3-4 ACH is already fine, or around 90-120 m3/hr for MBR size and as low as 30-40 m3/hr for small BTO BRs. Of coz for those pax who are doing multiple big APs and prefer a higher ACH that is fine too.
 
Last edited:

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
Just saw a posting on Smartair local distributor's page.



The amount of dirt trapped on the HEPA is horrendous. :oops:
 

Alwaysb

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
979
Reaction score
6
Hi experts, I am very confused with the xiaomi air purifier models. I own a gen 1 model. I was looking at my spec. It says 406m3. Is there really a need to upgrade?

Other than the oled panel, what other benefits? I reckoned, no single machine can purify my place since I have 2 floors. The staircase cannot be closed up
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,275
Reaction score
86
Hi experts, I am very confused with the xiaomi air purifier models. I own a gen 1 model. I was looking at my spec. It says 406m3. Is there really a need to upgrade?

Other than the oled panel, what other benefits? I reckoned, no single machine can purify my place since I have 2 floors. The staircase cannot be closed up
I also confused. So many XiaoMi models. I didn’t keep track for quite sometime already.

Gen 1, Gen2, 2s, 3c ? 3H? Pro, F1, Pro H and Max.

Beside OLED display, newer models are also “touchscreen” OLED display, meaning u can change the fan speed mode itself instead of using the app. Another alternative.

I dunno exactly which ones are “touchscreen”.

Pro is not touchscreen, only got the OLED display nia. Pro H is touchscreen. F1 I think I read also is, not sure, but I don’t think able to find locally here yet.

U can’t use the same filters of your Gen1 for Pro H and Max. Different size, design. U can use for Pro.

One AP is not enough to cover two floors. Depends on what you looking for bah. And how much u willing to spend, or is it really necessary for u to cover your entire house at first place ...

I’m not expert. Unable to recommend or comment much. Mine is probably an extreme, overkill case for some, cos currently now I have two AP for my living hall. One AP each for all my bedrooms.

If u think u need to get at least another one AP to cover the other floor, choose one that is powerful enough to cover ba. Go compare around ba. Not necessary restricted to just XiaoMi.
 
Last edited:

BreadLover

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2018
Messages
867
Reaction score
406
Any recommendations for bedroom hepa filter air purifier? Generous budget of $700 and below but need to meet these 2 requirements

1. Quiet (preferably close to silent)

2. Can be found in brick mortar stores (cuz want to utilize vouchers)
 

Alwaysb

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
979
Reaction score
6
I also confused. So many XiaoMi models. I didn’t keep track for quite sometime already.

Gen 1, Gen2, 2s, 3c ? 3H? Pro, F1, Pro H and Max.

Beside OLED display, newer models are also “touchscreen” OLED display, meaning u can change the fan speed mode itself instead of using the app. Another alternative.

I dunno exactly which ones are “touchscreen”.

Pro is not touchscreen, only got the OLED display nia. Pro H is touchscreen. F1 I think I read also is, not sure, but I don’t think able to find locally here yet.

U can’t use the same filters of your Gen1 for Pro H and Max. Different size, design. U can use for Pro.

One AP is not enough to cover two floors. Depends on what you looking for bah. And how much u willing to spend, or is it really necessary for u to cover your entire house at first place ...

I’m not expert. Unable to recommend or comment much. Mine is probably an extreme, overkill case for some, cos currently now I have two AP for my living hall. One AP each for all my bedrooms.

If u think u need to get at least another one AP to cover the other floor, choose one that is powerful enough to cover ba. Go compare around ba. Not necessary restricted to just XiaoMi.
So what is really the deciding factor to pick the right one? I noticed my gen 1 machine, even a small room 4m x 2.8m, after a good 10mins strong mode, only drops from 16 to 14 on the app. So is the machine, base on specs not good enough for the size? I remembered reading this thread before I buy. Thinking 406m3 good be big enough. Using the green colour filter. Putting at a corner though.
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,275
Reaction score
86
So what is really the deciding factor to pick the right one? I noticed my gen 1 machine, even a small room 4m x 2.8m, after a good 10mins strong mode, only drops from 16 to 14 on the app. So is the machine, base on specs not good enough for the size? I remembered reading this thread before I buy. Thinking 406m3 good be big enough. Using the green colour filter. Putting at a corner though.
Did u do the testing with all windows and doors closed?

In general, AP works well only in enclosed area. I think you are aware. Once u leave a small window gap open, is possible to even see the readings going up instead of coming down.

All these I think many already knew / experienced before.

Deciding factor? For me I see the CADR and coverage only as a general reference.

I tend to use “overkill” APs (eg. I use an AP meant for living hall but for my bedrooms instead) simply because I don’t blast at max speed and I don’t close every windows without leaving a gap during “normal” days.

But if haze jialat, simi AP also boh gao lak, have difficulty bringing down and maintain at low readings if don’t close all windows, including the top windows panel.
 
Last edited:

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
Totally agree. You have to choose what you are comfortable with (budget and size of your place). Having a single unit for the entire property maybe possible but the noise generate to cover might be loud, unless opting for a machine (usually bigger or commercial grade) that covers a wider area.

With a bigger machine, you may have to consider the maintenance costs (electricity to operate and filter replacement costs) as well.
 

Alwaysb

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
979
Reaction score
6
I closed door and sliding window. I just tested my xiaomi gen 1 machine. ( china region). On max mode, almost an hour. Only can bring down from 17 to 13. Room size only 5m x 3m. Is there something wrong with the machine? Is it common that it will never get to zero from the app?
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,275
Reaction score
86
I closed door and sliding window. I just tested my xiaomi gen 1 machine. ( china region). On max mode, almost an hour. Only can bring down from 17 to 13. Room size only 5m x 3m. Is there something wrong with the machine? Is it common that it will never get to zero from the app?
Usually AP doesn’t spoil easily. Can last quite long. Filter due for changing? There’s significant leakage in your room / got people tend to open the door go in go out? Notice any significant fan speed reduction as compared to day 1?

I cannot remember where’s the Gen1 PM2.5 reader is located. Is it behind with an opening? Vacuum / dust away any accumulated dust there. Might be the reason why u see higher readings.

If happened to have a standalone PM2.5 reader, can also test whether clean air coming out from the AP outlet, test and compare with the readings.

I don’t think can reach zero. I don’t remember I ever see zero reading from the app / XM AP display before. I could be wrong. But single digit or even 1 is possible. I always attempt to maintain at single digit.


 
Last edited:

Alwaysb

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
979
Reaction score
6
I never achieve single digit ever. I left the purifier in a close room. Not opening it at all. After an hour check app... Drop 3 only. Zzzz. Max mode some more.
 

Jun Jun

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2016
Messages
1,302
Reaction score
184
Need a air purifier for bed room that is quiet enough and can detect food/cooking smell. As my kitchen does not have doors, we will always smell the garlic and fried smell in the kitchen from our bedrooms. Any brands and models to recommend? Are sharp, Hitachi any good and their filter long lasting? I have a xiaomi 3h but it seems not effective in filtering cooking smell and is quite noisy if i tuned up the speed. The filter is not cost effective too and keep reminding me to change filter after a few mths.
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,275
Reaction score
86
Need a air purifier for bed room that is quiet enough and can detect food/cooking smell. As my kitchen does not have doors, we will always smell the garlic and fried smell in the kitchen from our bedrooms. Any brands and models to recommend? Are sharp, Hitachi any good and their filter long lasting? I have a xiaomi 3h but it seems not effective in filtering cooking smell and is quite noisy if i tuned up the speed. The filter is not cost effective too and keep reminding me to change filter after a few mths.
For XiaoMi filters, my advice is buy from online if cost is a concern. Search for it. Can get at a much much cheaper price even for the grey type. I haven’t try the grey version yet. Dunno how is it. And make sure reset filter lifespan back to 100% whenever change filter.

Sharp generally is good. But filter u better check if is cost effective for u first.

Hitachi I used to have a small version. Forgotten the model. Made in Japan. I don’t really recommend that. Bigger version probably more appropriate for your case. Sound I dunno if will be quiet enough for u. I didn’t try their bigger versions before.

For odour removal, personally I like the Honeywell AP 18250 (model if I remember correctly) with the CPZ cylinder. Used to have that. That one relatively pretty effective. But not appropriate for u because probably u will find it noisy. Quite an old model.

In any case, whether will u still smell the garlic and fried stuff from kitchen, I dunno. Better not to expect total removal until no smell.
 
Last edited:

Jun Jun

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2016
Messages
1,302
Reaction score
184
For XiaoMi filters, my advice is buy from online if cost is a concern. Search for it. Can get at a much much cheaper price even for the grey type. I haven’t try the grey version yet. Dunno how is it. And make sure reset filter lifespan back to 100% whenever change filter.

Sharp generally is good. But filter u better check if is cost effective for u first.

Hitachi I used to have a small version. Forgotten the model. Made in Japan. I don’t really recommend that. Bigger version probably more appropriate for your case. Sound I dunno if will be quiet enough for u. I didn’t try their bigger versions before.

For odour removal, personally I like the Honeywell AP 18250 (model if I remember correctly) with the CPZ cylinder. Used to have that. That one relatively pretty effective. But not appropriate for u because probably u will find it noisy. Quite an old model.

In any case, whether will u still smell the garlic and fried stuff from kitchen, I dunno. Better not to expect total removal until no smell.
For my case it is for my bedroom so dk what size is appropriate. Some well known brands filter can use for 2 years as seen on the web although don't know how true is that. My problem with xiaomi is the odor removal not very strong in fact it is almost useless against food, it is also very noisy when on the fan on medium or max mode. I saw sharp,hitachi, novita and some brands have those negative ions or deodoriser functions.anyways which model are you using currently?
 
Last edited:

Jun Jun

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2016
Messages
1,302
Reaction score
184
Hitachi i tried one of the quietest ones on the market. But their purifier is expensive.
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,275
Reaction score
86
For my case it is for my bedroom so dk what size is appropriate. Some well known brands filter can use for 2 years as seen on the web although don't know how true is that. My problem with xiaomi is the odor removal not very strong in fact it is almost useless against food, it is also very noisy when on the fan on medium or max mode. I saw sharp,hitachi, novita and some brands have those negative ions or deodoriser functions.anyways which model are you using currently?

I now still mainly using XM Pro for all my bedrooms. Only difference is I recently added one Pro H for living hall instead of Pro. That current Pro as spare le.

If u looking for ions feature, personally I prefer sharp plasmacluster. If not wrong, not all their models able to buy and replace the “ion generator unit. “ Probably only higher end models ba…. I could be wrong. But at least I know their FP-J80E model able to just replace its ion generating unit; IZ-C90ME when the lifespan is due. Able to see the lifespan via their sharp app.



This model probably overkill for just your bedroom use. Not cheap either. Go look around and compare carefully before commit.
 
Last edited:

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,275
Reaction score
86
Hitachi i tried one of the quietest ones on the market. But their purifier is expensive.
I like Hitachi electrical stuff. I’m using their washing machine and refrigerator. Generally not cheap especially if they are made in Japan models.

I didn’t try their other APs except that smaller version. So unable to comment much.
 

Jun Jun

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2016
Messages
1,302
Reaction score
184
Anymore models for bedroom to suggest? Prefer those around 50 dba maximum and able to filter food smell as my xiaomi 3h is not able to do so efficently and quietly despite trying all types of filter.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top