Air purifier? - Part 2

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
It has the active carbon. Active carbon can be used to filter off carcinogens and allergen in the air too.

Just wondering if it restricts the air flow is comparable or restricted. Using some in a living room, some in bigger main bedrooms.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,261
Reaction score
11,574
It has the active carbon. Active carbon can be used to filter off carcinogens and allergen in the air too.

Just wondering if it restricts the air flow is comparable or restricted. Using some in a living room, some in bigger main bedrooms.

I measured the restriction to be about 7-8% for the AC in the AX40 filter.
Not significant, but well if you are happy then just take it out after 2-3 months after the AC useful life has been used up.
 

qwe7410

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
1,457
Reaction score
0
The active life of the AC is shorter than the Hepa?

What i meant was there's any airflow resistance from the compatible hepa from the previously mentioned seller
 

yanbros

Master Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
2,846
Reaction score
1
The active life of the AC is shorter than the Hepa?

What i meant was there's any airflow resistance from the compatible hepa from the previously mentioned seller

The thing about the stock filter is that it is a combined filter. Meaning, its sticked together with a tape. Ok, you can remove the tape and separate both filters. Because the gas filter "carbon filter" requires changing more often. Yes, around 2-3 months per change as compared to the hepa filter. The carbon filter also acts as a pre-filter to the hepa can last longer, filtering out larger particles first. For those that don't use the carbon filter, i guess we have to change our custom filters more regularly as it is the only element after the pre-filter. Like the pic i posted. My filter was only 4 months old and its black already.
 

LoneReaction

Master Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Messages
3,242
Reaction score
14
Hi guys, I'm expecting a baby soon and am thinking of getting an air purifier and humidifier for my room.

Is it better to get 2 separate devices, or use 2-in-1 Air purifier/Humidifier? I find that when the air-con on, I get really dry nose and throat so the humidifier is a must.

I went to courts and saw Phillips and Novita brand machines that have both functions. The sales persons tells me the filter only needs to be changed every 2 years. That sounds like a long time since people in this thread change every few months!

Is the air in Singapore bad enough to need a air purifier, during non-hazy season?
 

sehsuan

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2001
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
23
Anyone knows where can I find a sg 3 pin plug cable for the xiaomi air purifier? Bought the new version 2 from China but it came with the 3 flat pin China plug which none of my travel adapter can fit. Thanks

i ordered for the IEC styled, 3-pin BS1363 cables from Taobao too. 1.5m long each, Mickey-mouse output. best not to use travel adapter for regular usage.
 

joej

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2001
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
0
i ordered for the IEC styled, 3-pin BS1363 cables from Taobao too. 1.5m long each, Mickey-mouse output. best not to use travel adapter for regular usage.

Definitely. It's only a few bucks from Sim Lim Tower.
 

kandinsky

Master Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2015
Messages
4,693
Reaction score
10
I went to courts and saw Phillips and Novita brand machines that have both functions. The sales persons tells me the filter only needs to be changed every 2 years. That sounds like a long time since people in this thread change every few months!

Sales person is most likely repeating the manufacturer's prescribed SOP, but you need to use your own discretion based on the actual usage ma. You think about it, cannot be the same machine, use in location A @ PSI 1000 and use in location B @ PSI 100, both only need to change every 2 years right.

Is the air in Singapore bad enough to need a air purifier, during non-hazy season?

In general no, not really necessary for the average person during non-haze period. But some people may have sensitive airways or other respiratory-related health issues, they can benefit from it even during non-hazy season.

Also depends on your environment like where you live. If you live near a busy road for example, I'd think you would be getting more dust compared to someone in an quieter estate.
 

eriol125

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
2,090
Reaction score
5
My app cannot find my XM1 to add leh. Wonder what happen there. is there any requirement on the network I am in? For 5ghz or 2.4ghz? Cos my networks have hidden ssid. Erm...

Anyway I am using XM1 beside my bed, since I am used to my ceiling fan n standing fan, its just another fan to me. XDD

Sent from Motorola NEXUS 6 using GAGT
 

sehsuan

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2001
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
23
My app cannot find my XM1 to add leh. Wonder what happen there. is there any requirement on the network I am in? For 5ghz or 2.4ghz? Cos my networks have hidden ssid. Erm...

Anyway I am using XM1 beside my bed, since I am used to my ceiling fan n standing fan, its just another fan to me. XDD

Sent from Motorola NEXUS 6 using GAGT

Just ensure you set your location to Mainland China for the Xiaomi App, be it for iOS or Android.
 

momoeagle

Master Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
2,800
Reaction score
519
Hi guys, I'm expecting a baby soon and am thinking of getting an air purifier and humidifier for my room.

Is it better to get 2 separate devices, or use 2-in-1 Air purifier/Humidifier? I find that when the air-con on, I get really dry nose and throat so the humidifier is a must.

I went to courts and saw Phillips and Novita brand machines that have both functions. The sales persons tells me the filter only needs to be changed every 2 years. That sounds like a long time since people in this thread change every few months!

Is the air in Singapore bad enough to need a air purifier, during non-hazy season?

Hi,
personally I used Novita 611 (bought long time ago during an offer because my wife had an eye operation and needs recuperation at home, a new HDB block with lots of renovations going on).

For myself, I have sinus for years. After using AP, I find my morning sinus slowly disappearing until I no longer have blocked nose in the morning. Still do have when I sleep over at in-laws place without AP. The air isn't bad enough to need AP, but it does help.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,261
Reaction score
11,574
Hi,
personally I used Novita 611 (bought long time ago during an offer because my wife had an eye operation and needs recuperation at home, a new HDB block with lots of renovations going on).

For myself, I have sinus for years. After using AP, I find my morning sinus slowly disappearing until I no longer have blocked nose in the morning. Still do have when I sleep over at in-laws place without AP. The air isn't bad enough to need AP, but it does help.

It's like that, need continuous usage. It may seem like a chore and $$$, but hey we are talking about chronic sinusitis/allergic rhinitis....better quality of life if you know what i mean. Can't be taking antihistamines all the time.

It's probably not the external air, but more of the allergens in the internal air. Allergens = ultra low amts needed, can barely detect it on even the best meters.

I have even read about some extreme rice allergy that people can go into hives just by shaking hands with folks who ate rice for lunch (gluten).

You "grew" out of it simply coz you let the inflammation heal and body's sensitivity lower down as it no longer presents any "danger" to the body. But need a long time.


So yeah, that is why for us - ACH matters. Xiaomi 1 and Xiaomi 2 would be unsuitable and AX40 (or even multiples of 2 or 3 of it for bigger bedrooms/living room) much more suitable.
 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,261
Reaction score
11,574
A lot of ignorant people blame it on " body weak" or "unhealthy diet" etc.

I can 1000% assure you that it's not.

Even within the allergic rhinitus community, the triggering compounds and levels are very different.

Like for haze, i do not develop running nose or eyes at all not even at 300+ ug/m3 levels....heck make it way over 2000 ug/m3/PSI 2000 in Indonesia. :s13: But i develop headaches from relatively low levels.
And i do develop running nose/sneezing from dust mite droppings (bed/pillow/stirring under the bed stuff etc) instantly within seconds.
Others, they have running nose from as low as 40 ug/m3.

Sehsuan is a cycling enthusiasts. Super duper fit zai and i don't think he is super young.

I can gun 2 rounds of 50-storeys vertical run no issue. And i eat extremely healthily.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,261
Reaction score
11,574
Hi guys, I'm expecting a baby soon and am thinking of getting an air purifier and humidifier for my room.

Is it better to get 2 separate devices, or use 2-in-1 Air purifier/Humidifier? I find that when the air-con on, I get really dry nose and throat so the humidifier is a must.

I went to courts and saw Phillips and Novita brand machines that have both functions. The sales persons tells me the filter only needs to be changed every 2 years. That sounds like a long time since people in this thread change every few months!

Is the air in Singapore bad enough to need a air purifier, during non-hazy season?

Set the air-con to not be any lower than 26 deg C. In a regular HDB + 9000 btu/hr FCU combo, you'd find that the RH probably does not dip below 65% RH in the long run.

Only spend your hard-earned dollars on a humidifier if you really need to set it to like 24 deg C.

Piezo-electric "mist" type of humidifiers usually would cause the PM2.5 levels to rise. This is because the tap or boiled water is not pure, so energizing and pumping the water into ultra fine droplets means that everything in the water is also put into the air.
The other type which uses a water wick is fine, but it will cause mold growth in the long run, so the receptable and water wick needs cleaning/replacement.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,261
Reaction score
11,574
Someone did a measurement here in SG with PUB tap water and found that there was a slight elevation in the PM2.5 with piezoelectric humidifiers....reported in this thread (think it's still searchable).

Some more
http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/pollution/ultrasonic-humidifiers-in-beijing-an-unnecessary-risk/


http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/127/2/e509

bstract

Humidifiers are commonly used in the community to relieve symptoms associated with acute respiratory infections in young children; however, clear benefits of these devices have not been documented. The Environmental Protection Agency has not found any adverse health effects related to humidifier use. We report here the case of a young infant with significant accidental inhalational lung injury related to dispersal of mineral dust from an ultrasonic home-use humidifier. The clinical consequences included prolonged hypoxemia, tachypnea, and failure to thrive. Radiography revealed pneumonitis, and pulmonary-function testing showed a nonreversible mild obstructive ventilatory defect. Because of persistent symptoms, evolution of failure to thrive, and nonresponse to inhaled and short courses of systemic glucocorticoids, an aggressive management approach was successfully pursued with high-dose pulse steroid therapy, which could be a potential therapeutic approach for similar patients. In addition, this case raises important questions about the safety of exposing infants and young children to humidifiers and emphasizes the need for further study.
 

momoeagle

Master Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
2,800
Reaction score
519
It's like that, need continuous usage. It may seem like a chore and $$$, but hey we are talking about chronic sinusitis/allergic rhinitis....better quality of life if you know what i mean. Can't be taking antihistamines all the time.

It's probably not the external air, but more of the allergens in the internal air. Allergens = ultra low amts needed, can barely detect it on even the best meters.

I have even read about some extreme rice allergy that people can go into hives just by shaking hands with folks who ate rice for lunch (gluten).

You "grew" out of it simply coz you let the inflammation heal and body's sensitivity lower down as it no longer presents any "danger" to the body. But need a long time.


So yeah, that is why for us - ACH matters. Xiaomi 1 and Xiaomi 2 would be unsuitable and AX40 (or even multiples of 2 or 3 of it for bigger bedrooms/living room) much more suitable.
What you said sounds logical. I have not recalled taking my anti-histamines for past few months lol... Last time I used to take every few days, and breathe air more through my mouth than my nose. And everytime haze, my nose runs ultra marathons.

Now I have 2 Novitas and 1 AP-777 at home (and 1 at my in laws place if sleepover). I just bought Filterete for air cons from Qoo10 to be ready for the haze if it comes. Damn cheap compared to outside due to coupons and credit card discounts.

Was following the thread, and originally considering XM2 due to the lower pricing. AX40 is better?
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,261
Reaction score
11,574
Was following the thread, and originally considering XM2 due to the lower pricing. AX40 is better?

I think you are no stranger to APs and their noise levels already. IF you find that the 611 noise level in Turbo mode is ok even for slightly extended operation like 1-2 hrs, then the XM2 would be ok. I have not compared them A-B directly side by side, but from what i played in 611 in the stores and XM2 at my home, i think the XM2 jet mode would be wee bit slightly noisier than 611 in Turbo.

In that case, the XM2 would be fine.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top