Air purifier? - Part 2

tildveryn

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
1,884
Reaction score
0
Prallethrin vs d-trans allethrin

any idea which is safer? e.g. to babies, pregnant woman, children...
 

_DeS__

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
22
I put 2 layers, 1 bottom 1 top. If put 1 only the middle part like sunken in, didn't like it.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,262
Reaction score
11,568
Prallethrin vs d-trans allethrin

any idea which is safer? e.g. to babies, pregnant woman, children...

All are not that safe, best is as far as possible not use. I mean home vaporisers are very low concentration and are ok for that very brief exposure so don't be too worried.

NEA contractors use cypermethrin in their thermal fogging, at those super high concentration fog clouds (5 micron droplets), i think 1 or 2 whiffs max to be on the safe side. :o
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,262
Reaction score
11,568
1st attemp at DIY HEPA filter from TB. Any advise?




The last one is supposed to be the correct one. Only 1 side supposed to pad up the gap with material.

You messed up the first one?

Don't worry about those small gaps. Used to be very anal about those stuff.
 

kandinsky

Master Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2015
Messages
4,693
Reaction score
10
I put 2 layers, 1 bottom 1 top. If put 1 only the middle part like sunken in, didn't like it.

Ohhh, I see what you mean now. I thought they were two different machines :s13:

So you double layered it... Hmmm. I'm not sure if it will adversely affect the airflow to do double layer. I'm no expert, but it feels like two filters will result in a much higher resistance compared to one single filter as the material is doubled.

What the 'depth' of the original filter gives is more surface area as the pleats are thicker. But if you add two filters, you not only increase surface area, you also increase resistance as the air still has to 'fight' through two layers?

Worse case scenario is the AP's ACH is probably reduced and not as effective, increased resistance may also place more strain on the fan. This one I'm not too sure though. Just my layman's guess.
 

_DeS__

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
22
The last one is supposed to be the correct one. Only 1 side supposed to pad up the gap with material.

You messed up the first one?

Don't worry about those small gaps. Used to be very anal about those stuff.

I double layered it because if single layer the middle part sink in which I don't like lol. Is it ok ?

Anyway, no more charcoal filter nvm right ?
 

_DeS__

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
22
Ohhh, I see what you mean now. I thought they were two different machines :s13:

So you double layered it... Hmmm. I'm not sure if it will adversely affect the airflow to do double layer. I'm no expert, but it feels like two filters will result in a much higher resistance compared to one single filter as the material is doubled.

What the 'depth' of the original filter gives is more surface area as the pleats are thicker. But if you add two filters, you not only increase surface area, you also increase resistance as the air still has to 'fight' through two layers?

Worse case scenario is the AP's ACH is probably reduced and not as effective, increased resistance may also place more strain on the fan. This one I'm not too sure though. Just my layman's guess.

ahhh i see. thank for your advise! appreciate it alot
 

super365

Master Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
4,012
Reaction score
35
All are not that safe, best is as far as possible not use. I mean home vaporisers are very low concentration and are ok for that very brief exposure so don't be too worried.

NEA contractors use cypermethrin in their thermal fogging, at those super high concentration fog clouds (5 micron droplets), i think 1 or 2 whiffs max to be on the safe side. :o

If use the home vaporisers (e.g. allethrin prallethrin metoflurin) in this way is it safe? When nobody is in the room I fully close the room (close doors and windows) and turn on the vaporisers for a few hours and I go out. When I come back to the room I switch off the vaporisers and I open the windows and doors turn on fan to air the room for about 15mins then use the room.

Today in my bedroom I turn on 4 Baygon plug-in vaporiser and close all the windows and doors and I go out. Then after 2 hours come back into the room, got a smell very strong like burnt plastic smell (not sure how to describe). The smell makes me think that all insects and mosquitos in the room should be dead. I switch off the vaporisers, I then open all windows and door and turn on fan to air the room about 15mins, then use the room like normal.

Do I still breath in any vapor? Or is there healthier/safer way to use vaporiser?

How many times should I use the vaporisers per week/month?

I am wondering if it is vapor, does those invisible vapor droplets settle down on my bed/pillow/chair/table?

Thanks

Thread #2008 WussRedXLi says "Vapor release is totally different, even if there is condensation on any surface in the room, it is magnitudes better managed + extremely spread out that there probably is no risk at all"
 

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2009
Messages
8,567
Reaction score
10
Today in my bedroom I turn on 4 Baygon plug-in vaporiser and close all the windows and doors and I go out. Then after 2 hours come back into the room, got a smell very strong like burnt plastic smell (not sure how to describe).

:eek::eek::eek:
 

tildveryn

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
1,884
Reaction score
0
If use the home vaporisers (e.g. allethrin prallethrin metoflurin) in this way is it safe? When nobody is in the room I fully close the room (close doors and windows) and turn on the vaporisers for a few hours and I go out. When I come back to the room I switch off the vaporisers and I open the windows and doors turn on fan to air the room for about 15mins then use the room.

Today in my bedroom I turn on 4 Baygon plug-in vaporiser and close all the windows and doors and I go out. Then after 2 hours come back into the room, got a smell very strong like burnt plastic smell (not sure how to describe). The smell makes me think that all insects and mosquitos in the room should be dead. I switch off the vaporisers, I then open all windows and door and turn on fan to air the room about 15mins, then use the room like normal.

Do I still breath in any vapor? Or is there healthier/safer way to use vaporiser?

How many times should I use the vaporisers per week/month?

I am wondering if it is vapor, does those invisible vapor droplets settle down on my bed/pillow/chair/table?

Thanks

Thread #2008 WussRedXLi says "Vapor release is totally different, even if there is condensation on any surface in the room, it is magnitudes better managed + extremely spread out that there probably is no risk at all"

you off the vapour... after u come home... after 5min all vapour gone... mosquito will come again right? :)
 

tildveryn

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
1,884
Reaction score
0
All are not that safe, best is as far as possible not use. I mean home vaporisers are very low concentration and are ok for that very brief exposure so don't be too worried.

NEA contractors use cypermethrin in their thermal fogging, at those super high concentration fog clouds (5 micron droplets), i think 1 or 2 whiffs max to be on the safe side. :o

Prallethrin vs d-trans allethrin....

i thought d-trans allethrin is something more natural........?
 

super365

Master Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
4,012
Reaction score
35
you off the vapour... after u come home... after 5min all vapour gone... mosquito will come again right? :)

Yes I think mosquito will come again after vapour gone.

I am trying to prevent mosquitos in one bedroom only and I think the steps I have done already, only very little mosquito have the chance to come in.

I have window screen mesh on the bedroom window to prevent insects and mosquitos from entering from windows. My bedroom door is always closed except when I enter or exit the bedroom.

Even when I did not turn on air con, my door is always closed, windows is opened, the window screen mesh will block mosquito from entering the bedroom.

These are some times seconds/minutes that I think mosquitos will enter.

1. The time when I am opening/closing the windows. Window screen mesh needs to opened so I can push/pull the windows.

2. The time when I open/close the bedroom door.

3. Gaps at the bottom (or maybe side) of bedroom door.

4. From the air con electrical/drainage pipes that lead to elsewhere, not sure if mosquito might enter from there then come out from my bedroom air con. I do see lizard coming out from air con wall before.

The Baygon plug-in vaporiser is used to kill those mosquitos that come in and are "trapped" in my room.

I think I have tried my best to prevent mosquitos, anymore advice is welcomed.
 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,262
Reaction score
11,568
I double layered it because if single layer the middle part sink in which I don't like lol. Is it ok ?

Anyway, no more charcoal filter nvm right ?

The first photo one can throw already. Cannot double layer. airflow/CADR would drop tremendously.

Just cut properly to make it like second photo can liao. Don't have to push all the way in, it'd hold no worries. But seriously if cut properly, it won't sink in.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,262
Reaction score
11,568
you off the vapour... after u come home... after 5min all vapour gone... mosquito will come again right? :)

There might be a wee wee bit of residual effect on the walls/corners/crevices but don't bank on that man. Still can fly around and bite, common sense. :D

After come home, air and close windows liao. If in hotspot, i'd really recommend mosquito screens so that you can air with confidence. Use a fan directed at the window to pump air out and circulate the air/improve evaporation of any residual chemicals, if needed.

I believe that metofluthrin chemical (in Off clip-on) has negligible residual effect, since it is pretty volatile at room temperature.
 

_DeS__

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
22
The first photo one can throw already. Cannot double layer. airflow/CADR would drop tremendously.

Just cut properly to make it like second photo can liao. Don't have to push all the way in, it'd hold no worries. But seriously if cut properly, it won't sink in.

Ok thanks, will order and try again. What about the charcoal filter? Important?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top