Air purifier? - Part 2

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
71,239
Reaction score
853
Sqair can cover 40sqm at high speed with 8 cycles per hour. Specs is better than pro. I bought it for my living room, one for my room and another for my kids room.
What does it mean by 8 cycle per hour?

Oh, I can get it online. Initially was thinking I have to buy at the shop physically.

Sent from Google PIXEL 3 using GAGT
 

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
6,559
Reaction score
345
Reporting back on the Xiaomi 3H vs Sqair (I'll keep things short and sweet.):

My room dimensions are approx 3.5m by 5m.

Testing the fastest fan speed setting of the air purifiers, Sqair is indeed extremely efficient, effective, and quick to remove stench, perfume, strange smells, and farts in my room. Despite Xiaomi producing much more air output, it took qualitatively longer to remove those smell. The qualitative difference is approximately 15-20 minutes.

When switched to the lowest fan speed setting and running overnight, both seem (and smells) to be doing a good job by the time the sun rises. However before sleep, I usually run them 2 hours before my head hits the pillow. The Sqair edges out with better air quality before the Xiaomi.

In terms of noise level at the lowest fan speed, to my ears, the Sqair produces a deeper sounding hum similar to an aircon at low speed. Whereas Xiaomi produces a soft yet gentle wheezing (high frequency) sound. If you ask me which I would use, hands down the Sqair's hum is far less intrusive to the ears and helped me sleep better. Please take my opinion with a pinch of salt here. The sound and noise level is subjective. The distance between my head and the air purifiers are approximately 3.8m.


Closing thoughts - Air purifier isn't about comparing "which one has more features", "which can have the highest fan speed" or "which filter is more robust or tokkong". I think one should think about the relationship between a fan and a filter first before deriving an efficient air purifying performance. Just imagine pouring water into a paper filter. You cannot force water to flow out faster if the paper filter only has a fixed filtering and flow rate. I think Sqair might have nailed it.


TLDR:
Sheer air purifying performance, go with Sqair. Want smart features yet decent performance? Xiaomi 3H is your go-to.


Disclaimer:
I am just a regular commoner and have no financial interest in any air purifier manufacturers.


Update #2:

I went to peek at the HEPA filters of the Xiaomi 3H and Sqair. Xiaomi's HEPA filter look generally clean with some dust and particles stuck to it. Sqair on the other hand, left me surprised - it's a round grey circle.


I never knew that the air in my room would be that... "bad". I do not smoke, and I do not have pets. It left me scratching my head and wondering why Sqair's HEPA is visibly more "dirty" than Xiaomi. But I do know that I am not left disappointed with Sqair's performance.
 
Last edited:

FatalethaL

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
6,559
Reaction score
345
can air purifier reduce dusts in the room significantly?

My answer - It does help to reduce airborne dust particles, but also it is not significant to the point of skipping some days in your existing routine housekeeping schedule.

Point to consider - the degree of significance of reducing dust in the room depends on your room layout, airflow in the room, and air purifier placement too.
 

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
Update #2:

I went to peek at the HEPA filters of the Xiaomi 3H and Sqair. Xiaomi's HEPA filter look generally clean with some dust and particles stuck to it. Sqair on the other hand, left me surprised - it's a round grey circle.


I never knew that the air in my room would be that... "bad". I do not smoke, and I do not have pets. It left me scratching my head and wondering why Sqair's HEPA is visibly more "dirty" than Xiaomi. But I do know that I am not left disappointed with Sqair's performance.

Sqair’s replacement filter is cheaper too. That was also another my other main draw.
 

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
What does it mean by 8 cycles per hour?

Oh, I can get it online. Initially was thinking I have to buy at the shop physically.

Sent from Google PIXEL 3 using GAGT

CADR or a Clean Air Delivery Rate is how you find out if the purifier performance. You will take CADR divide the size of the room coverage to get the number of cycles per hour. Then next I will compare the sound and power usage, because if to meet the cycles and the noise is deafening. Forget it.

Some purifier manufacturers provide the data, some don’t. Have to do some homework before committing.

Lastly, I don’t believe in paying too much for a machine. (Personal preference)
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,285
Reaction score
89
That’s provided not buying the charcoal. If hepa + charcoal then actually can be more ex than even XiaoMi enhanced filter.

But if don’t need charcoal, ya, that hepa alone is cheaper. Not bad especially for long run.

Disclaimer: I just based on the sqair filters price listed on shopee. Maybe elsewhere is cheaper. I dunno.

Sqair’s replacement filter is cheaper too. That was also another my other main draw.
 
Last edited:

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
That’s provided not buying the charcoal. If hepa + charcoal then actually can be more ex than even XiaoMi enhanced filter.

But if don’t need charcoal, ya, that hepa alone is cheaper. Not bad especially for long run.

Disclaimer: I just based on the sqair filters price listed on shopee. Maybe elsewhere is cheaper. I dunno.

Actually, changing the charcoal is not always necessary. Even the local distributor also suggest to change the HEPA filter regularly.
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,285
Reaction score
89
Some prefer not to use charcoal at all. Some prefers because various reasons. Depends on individual. Actually there’s a discussion in the past regarding whether should use charcoal or not ...

If belongs to someone that want to use charcoal, then need to consider... $27+$29 is not really that cheap.

If belongs to someone that prefers not to use charcoal, then this is a good option because they are separate. Only need to buy the hepa. $29

I dunno about theirs. That time during that peak haze period ... several years back... even my Honeywell also got smell after that. And is supposed to last ....

Don’t have sqair. So cannot comment how long will it last before it “smells”. I only know my XiaoMi filters can have noticeable smell even though the lifespan haven’t reached. That’s for my case. But I change quite frequently as in I dun wait until 0% regardless whether got smell or no smell, because is very dirty. Got upload the pic last time.

Maybe I may consider get sqair to try in future. :)




Actually, changing the charcoal is not always necessary. Even the local distributor also suggest to change the HEPA filter regularly.
 
Last edited:

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
71,239
Reaction score
853
Some prefer not to use charcoal at all. Some prefers because various reasons. Depends on individual. Actually there’s a discussion in the past regarding whether should use charcoal or not ...

If belongs to someone that want to use charcoal, then need to consider... $27+$29 is not really that cheap.

If belongs to someone that prefers not to use charcoal, then this is a good option because they are separate. Only need to buy the hepa. $29

I dunno about their activated charcoal. That time during that peak haze period ... several years back... even my Honeywell also got smell after that. And is supposed to last ....

Don’t have sqair. So cannot comment how long will it last before it “smells”. Maybe I may consider get one to try in future. :)
How is that more expensive than xm? Xm I saw is 49 (listed in the shop). Xm pro h is 99.

So 27 + 29 is few bucks more only ma.

Sent from Google PIXEL 3 using GAGT
 

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
Some prefer not to use charcoal at all. Some prefers because various reasons. Depends on individual. Actually there’s a discussion in the past regarding whether should use charcoal or not ...

If belongs to someone that want to use charcoal, then need to consider... $27+$29 is not really that cheap.

If belongs to someone that prefers not to use charcoal, then this is a good option because they are separate. Only need to buy the hepa. $29

I dunno about their activated charcoal. That time during that peak haze period ... several years back... even my Honeywell also got smell after that. And is supposed to last ....

Don’t have sqair. So cannot comment how long will it last before it “smells”. Maybe I may consider get one to try in future. :)

I had the same question when I bought my first Sqair and the sales manager was patient to answer my queries. He shared that Smartair had 2 Sqair variants; HEPA or HEPA with carbon. Typically the HEPA lasts for 6-12 months and the charcoal only needs replacement when it does not do it purpose of removing odour. He shared that HEPA with embedded carbon does not always effectively remove particles in the air. He showed me this research done by Smartair themselves:

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/does-adding-carbon-reduce-particle-effect/
 
Last edited:

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,285
Reaction score
89
Cannot compare pro h with sqair. Not a fair comparison, and the filter is different.

Paiseh. I don’t buy from physical shop.

I buy online. U go check it up at shopee since sqair filter pricing I quote is from shopee. Same platform compare is better. Of course can check at other platforms. Even the enhanced green with RFID u can get it at around $34.90

How is that more expensive than xm? Xm I saw is 49 (listed in the shop). Xm pro h is 99.

So 27 + 29 is few bucks more only ma.

Sent from Google PIXEL 3 using GAGT
 
Last edited:

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
Cannot compare pro h with sqair. Not a fair comparison, and the filter is different.

Paiseh. I don’t buy from physical shop.

I buy online. U go check it up. Even the enhanced green with RFID u can get it at around $34.90

Yes, they are both different machines.
 

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
71,239
Reaction score
853
Oh damn, the bundle deal is gone..

ooops. still have. different link at shopee
 
Last edited:

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
71,239
Reaction score
853
What discount to deduct 20?

Ok, nvm. I hooted it liao
 
Last edited:

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,285
Reaction score
89
Whatever brand of AP u intend to buy, is better to check there’s more than one seller/source selling the replacement filters. U wouldn’t want down the road have difficulty buying replacement filters.

Of course if got lobang to customise hepa filter (for squarish, not circular) from tabobao, then should be no issue.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top