Air purifier? - Part 2

cnotsniw

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
1,204
Reaction score
5
The smell does not emanate from the AC alone; it comes from the filter too. Hence, removal of the AC does not totally eliminate the smell. If you cannot tahan the smell, then its time to change.

Search for my posts from last year and you can find the photos of the really dirty and well utilised filter.
 

xkirk

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2001
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
No, I rarely use them to keep the cooking smell out. (I have a strong cooker hook for that). It mainly for the 2015 haze. The smell is noticeable even after 2 weeks of use during the 2015 haze period, it get worse as the days goes by. I only managed to drag its life till Dec 2015 after the haze is subsided then change to a new one.

Just side note: the new filter I changed on Dec 2015, visual inspection now shows that the filter is getting dirty after 2 mth of usage, but no smell (yet). I believe the smell actually come fr the whatever particles/residuals in the air during the haze period.

The smell is probably from mold. Same type of smell as when carpet gets wet, wasn't dried properly and room is not aired properly. Mold grows well in hot humid environments, ie SG. It will probably be less active in temperate countries like China or Korea where weather is cool and dry most of the year. You trap so much dirt in the filter, bacteria and mold will definitely grow in moist dirty environment. The mold will emit VOCs that is the cause of the smell. It will not be in concentrations high enough to harm our health though.
 

whitesand

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2001
Messages
392
Reaction score
10
The smell is probably from mold. Same type of smell as when carpet gets wet, wasn't dried properly and room is not aired properly. Mold grows well in hot humid environments, ie SG. It will probably be less active in temperate countries like China or Korea where weather is cool and dry most of the year. You trap so much dirt in the filter, bacteria and mold will definitely grow in moist dirty environment. The mold will emit VOCs that is the cause of the smell. It will not be in concentrations high enough to harm our health though.

I doubt it is from mold, as
1. I noted other forumers also complained about the "chinese medicine smell" fr AP. Mine is the same, and not moldy smell.
2. I don't have carpet in my rooms.
3. AP are used daily, not stored for a long period then take out and use.
4. After changing the filter, the AP operates in the same location same room. But the Dec 2015 new (original) filters has yet to give out smell, though vision inspection lately shows it is about 1/2 as dirty as those original filters what I throw away in Dec 2015, and there are many raining days in Jan 2016. Those throw away filter started to give that chinese medicine smell after 2 weeks of use, from Aug 2015 (hot month, haze, not much rain).

I must add: I did tried to "troubleshoot" the smelling issue, even wash (separated) AC layers with water first, then next tried detergent; airing & sunning the filters etc does not help too.

I am not sure if it is the particles/residuals in the air, or their reaction to the filter or the coated chemicals on the fitler, or whatever. But I am quit sure it is not the mold.
 

yanbros

Master Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
2,846
Reaction score
1
I quite curious to know what is causing that Chinese tcm smell. It is also present in new filters. Old filters having that smell, i've not encountered before. But new filters, yes. But after running for a few days, the smell will go away.
 

centauro75

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2016
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
No, I rarely use them to keep the cooking smell out. (I have a strong cooker hook for that). It mainly for the 2015 haze. The smell is noticeable even after 2 weeks of use during the 2015 haze period, it get worse as the days goes by. I only managed to drag its life till Dec 2015 after the haze is subsided then change to a new one.

Just side note: the new filter I changed on Dec 2015, visual inspection now shows that the filter is getting dirty after 2 mth of usage, but no smell (yet). I believe the smell actually come fr the whatever particles/residuals in the air during the haze period.

Hi whitsand, I have been using my hood for 10 yrs. I recently removed the "round AC" inside. It is filled / coated with oil. Heard a replacement costs $85. Any guidance / advices? We cooked everyday. Maybe buy a hepa filter n AC from haobao to install inside the hood?
 

whitesand

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2001
Messages
392
Reaction score
10
Hi whitsand, I have been using my hood for 10 yrs. I recently removed the "round AC" inside. It is filled / coated with oil. Heard a replacement costs $85. Any guidance / advices? We cooked everyday. Maybe buy a hepa filter n AC from haobao to install inside the hood?

I am no expert on this. So cannot help. You may want to ask the sales person for demo to gauge yourself. 10 yr can replace your whole hook unit already. As for the carbon and fibrous filter, change/clean as per manufacturer's recommendation.
 

centauro75

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2016
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hi folks, sorry i am aware this thread is for AP only.

However i think both Hood and AP use filter & AC to cleanse the air before circulating them back into our house for our love loved ones to breathe.

Hence i think it is important we find out the best economical ways to improve/extend the lifespan of these equipment & their consumables.

Any advices are much appreciated.
 

centauro75

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2016
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I am no expert on this. So cannot help. You may want to ask the sales person for demo to gauge yourself. 10 yr can replace your whole hook unit already. As for the carbon and fibrous filter, change/clean as per manufacturer's recommendation.


The sales person/hotline for me electroux Hood said :

1)buy new AC to remove the smell

2)the metal mesh can “cleanse” all the smoke and oil so NO need for any wool filter to filter the poluted air.
 

kandinsky

Master Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2015
Messages
4,693
Reaction score
10
Hi whitsand, I have been using my hood for 10 yrs. I recently removed the "round AC" inside. It is filled / coated with oil. Heard a replacement costs $85. Any guidance / advices? We cooked everyday. Maybe buy a hepa filter n AC from haobao to install inside the hood?

Check with the local service center for your brand, can buy replacement.

I replaced once at the 2-3 year mark when we started doing cooking daily, felt that the cooking smell was getting too strong even with hood (EF brand) switched on. Paid $40++ for a pair. The metal filter I wash once a year... Yours 10 years no maintenance?? The recommended cleaning (Once a month) and AC replacement frequency (3-6 months) is much higher in the manual for my hood, but first 1-2 years we rarely cooked.

Mine was this type:

activated-charcoal-filter-set-for-cooker-hood-dah04-b39.jpg
 
Last edited:

centauro75

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2016
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
yup. my AC is similar. first 8 years hardly cooked. Only recently my maid started to cook when my 2 babies arrived.

that metal filter so powerful can absorb the smoke and oil meh? i find it hard to believe. seems that I bought a hood that cant really clean the air and recirculated the “dirty air” back into the kitchen.

if the AC is simply to remove the smell, i may simply remove the used ones and replace them with wool to absorb the smoke and oil. It will make the motor inside work easiler.
 

kandinsky

Master Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2015
Messages
4,693
Reaction score
10
yup. my AC is similar. first 8 years hardly cooked. Only recently my maid started to cook when my 2 babies arrived.

that metal filter so powerful can absorb the smoke and oil meh? i find it hard to believe. seems that I bought a hood that cant really clean the air and recirculated the “dirty air” back into the kitchen.

if the AC is simply to remove the smell, i may simply remove the used ones and replace them with wool to absorb the smoke and oil. It will make the motor inside work easiler.

Haha, same. Heavy cooking started after kid was born. :s13: The mesh does trap a lot of the grease. If you clean it after a season of heavy cooking you will know how much grease is in there. Gotta soak in hot water plus degreaser. The AC is to reduce the cooking smell when the hood recirculates the air back into the kitchen, since we usually don't have hoods that vent to the outside, it won't really remove the smell totally.

Whatever you replace it with, make sure it doesn't affect the airflow too drastically or your hood will be rendered inefficient/ineffective? If it's a flammable material, monitor and replace often to avoid it being a fire hazard once it gets saturated with grease.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,240
Reaction score
11,570
From what i read from the reviews, the above contraption is quite noisy. Only suitable for augmentation uses like in the living room during heavy haze periods and not daily use in the bedroom.
 

sehsuan

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2001
Messages
1,916
Reaction score
17
You group buy for who

For lots of friends and other folks who got the WLCH particle counters through me :)

Shipment got delayed due to CNY... But the first stage of shipment within China was good - all by SF Express (Shunfeng)
 

Zabiyaki

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2009
Messages
8,567
Reaction score
10
For lots of friends and other folks who got the WLCH particle counters through me :)

Shipment got delayed due to CNY... But the first stage of shipment within China was good - all by SF Express (Shunfeng)

Wtf..
How many mi purifiers is that?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top