Alipay in China

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,349
Reaction score
12,303
to make things clearer:
- the balance in tour pass is for the alipay bank of shanghai prepaid card and is non transferable to other users, only can use to pay merchants

- there is another balance under me > balance, the funds here must come from within china ie. someone with a china bank account, this is transferable between users and is what people on carousellers are selling, apparently no need china id to receive unlike wechat pay

Good summary.

For the second point yes I know 3rd party top up servicrs still work. Not so sure how they do it. I tend to believe they are using some loopholes not authorized by Alipay. It is the same for wechat, there are 3rd party top up service which are still working.

Some say they have access to ID cards, bank cards of Chinese citizens and temporarily link to your account to get it work. Some say they have other methods. All in all, pretty sure they are not authorized.

The problem is that you can not top up by yourself. You have to rely on 3rd party services which are not authorized and may be problematic (eg: I do not trust Catousell).
 

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2000
Messages
37,478
Reaction score
1,561
I used tour pass to send money to another person who is not a merchant

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
 

Eddied

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
48,785
Reaction score
184
I used tour pass to send money to another person who is not a merchant

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
What steps did you take? Still trying to figure out the system...
The faq does say transfers not allowed, not sure if we can use the collect qr code to transfer, if so, the tour pass balance will be moved to the other balance?
fc31YUOl.jpg
 

somewhat

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2003
Messages
646
Reaction score
240
can't seem to activate the tourpass function. i'm getting this msg: "this service is available to selected users only"

Update: managed to solve the problem by logging out and then logging in again. you will be prompted to use the international version and to enter a new password. this issue likely only for existing account holders.

I have the same problem. But I log out and log in, I was not prompted to use international version. Any suggestion? Thanks
 

tomb

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
32,669
Reaction score
358
I have the same problem. But I log out and log in, I was not prompted to use international version. Any suggestion? Thanks

if i'm not wrong you might need to choose to log in using sms. i also had to try a few times before i got it to work.
 

goh5560

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
87
Reaction score
3
Go to me -> setting -> region. Select “International” and save.

I solve this problem by creating another account with another phone number, than it will work. I also found it will not work with existing account holder.
 

goh5560

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
87
Reaction score
3
Thanks for the info.
My friend has the same issue as me too. Still can't work after many tries.

Actually I believe we can get funds transferred from someone with a proper China alipay account even without us having a China bank account. I tried with my friend whose funds came from someone in China, just add as friend then press the RMB icon beside chat box to transfer, need to verify face then I can receive.

Another issue I have concern with is tour pass only works with merchants, not sure if there will be cases where I need to pay someone who is not a merchant in China, anyone got experience in this while travelling in China?


edit: topping up works now

to make things clearer:
- the balance in tour pass is for the alipay bank of shanghai prepaid card and is non transferable to other users, only can use to pay merchants
- there is another balance under me > balance, the funds here must come from within china ie. someone with a china bank account, this is transferable between users and is what people on carousellers are selling, apparently no need china id to receive unlike wechat pay


Does the above work? anyone else have try? I will ask my friend to transfer to be and try, if work it will be great.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,349
Reaction score
12,303
Does the above work? anyone else have try? I will ask my friend to transfer to be and try, if work it will be great.

Ask your friend to transfer will not work unless you have a proper Alipay account linked to China bank card.

Ask 3rd party top up services to top up will work but they are not authorized by Alipay andnd MAS in Singapore, so be careful.

Ref:
https://www.zaobao.com.sg/zfinance/news/story20180612-866512

我国近期出现一些商家和网站提供支付宝或微信钱包充值服务,若业者没有持相关执照,业务有可能违法。

新加坡金融管理局发言人回答《联合早报》询问时说,按照外币兑换与汇款业法令,在本地接受款项并为国外户头汇款或充值的业务是有可能构成“汇款业务”(remittance business)。

金管局发言人说:“经营这类汇款业务的业者是需要获得法令下的执照。”

微信支付与支付宝等无现金付款方式近年来在本地逐渐普及化,不少业者通过实体店面或网络支付方式提供充值服务。

《联合早报》记者发现,网上有超过10个海内外网站,可让用户为支付宝或微信钱包充值,本地至少有六个业者提供这项服务。
 
Last edited:

goh5560

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
87
Reaction score
3
Ask your friend to transfer will not work unless you have a proper Alipay account linked to China bank card.

Ask 3rd party top up services to top up will work but they are not authorized by Alipay andnd MAS in Singapore, so be careful.

Ref:
https://www.zaobao.com.sg/zfinance/news/story20180612-866512

我国近期出现一些商家和网站提供支付宝或微信钱包充值服务,若业者没有持相关执照,业务有可能违法。

新加坡金融管理局发言人回答《联合早报》询问时说,按照外币兑换与汇款业法令,在本地接受款项并为国外户头汇款或充值的业务是有可能构成“汇款业务”(remittance business)。

金管局发言人说:“经营这类汇款业务的业者是需要获得法令下的执照。”

微信支付与支付宝等无现金付款方式近年来在本地逐渐普及化,不少业者通过实体店面或网络支付方式提供充值服务。

《联合早报》记者发现,网上有超过10个海内外网站,可让用户为支付宝或微信钱包充值,本地至少有六个业者提供这项服务。


Just to like all know, I have confirm, it work. My friend just transfer to me, I can received, and it is reflected in my "Balance", I have use the amount to pay to one of the vendor personal account and it work...

But there is one thing you need to do, you need the verified your account in the "Balance" manual, you need to submit your Passport detail, picture of your passport and a selfie of yourself, once it is verified, you can received fund, those who want, please hurry, before they shut it down again, like wechat. This is hot news, not alot of people know, but after this , haha, all know liao.
 

alfy

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2000
Messages
1,546
Reaction score
1
Just to like all know, I have confirm, it work. My friend just transfer to me, I can received, and it is reflected in my "Balance", I have use the amount to pay to one of the vendor personal account and it work...

But there is one thing you need to do, you need the verified your account in the "Balance" manual, you need to submit your Passport detail, picture of your passport and a selfie of yourself, once it is verified, you can received fund, those who want, please hurry, before they shut it down again, like wechat. This is hot news, not alot of people know, but after this , haha, all know liao.
I just tried this method but Im stuck at 'review in progress' for almost 20mins already. Is this normal? How long is the wait to get verified?
 

goh5560

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
87
Reaction score
3
I just tried this method but Im stuck at 'review in progress' for almost 20mins already. Is this normal? How long is the wait to get verified?


Patient Pro, it take me one day before it is verified, once verified than you can accept transfer, but my wife verification fail, not sure why, will try to resubmit again.
 

kierai

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2005
Messages
276
Reaction score
2
For the past 6 days, I was in Shanghai and West Lake, Hangzhou. I used Alipay Tour Pass to make payment at restaurant, bubble tea stall, cafe, street vendor, railway station, top-up of transport card, book DiDi. Really convenient.

Cash is still accepted in Shanghai and Hangzhou.
 

goh5560

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
87
Reaction score
3
I was in Guangzhou, last week, come back than know about the Tourpass, if not would have try it out, haha.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,034
Reaction score
1,920
Cash is still legal tender in China. Nobody can stop you from paying in cash if otherwise you have no other means to pay them.
 

goh5560

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
87
Reaction score
3
Yes, cash still accept, the only time is make sure you have small note ready. I took a taxi, he ask me how I pay, I said cash, he said he have no change, I tell him no worry, I have, haha. So do prepare small note if you use cash.
 

somewhat

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2003
Messages
646
Reaction score
240
I solve this problem by creating another account with another phone number, than it will work. I also found it will not work with existing account holder.

I just talked to Customer service. the problem is the tour pass needs your account to be login using a foreign phone number. I login my current alipay account using email address.

Now, I have to create a new alipay account using my phone number. After that the App prompted me to switch the international version.

I tried to top up the tour pass and filing all the information (passport etc). However, after uploading the passport photo, the apps just stop proceeding to the next step:s11:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top