Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just mount all as R/W.

But you need to learn to be able to flash the firmware first before experimenting.

Which path should I mount?
/ or /system or others?
Just set to RW?
Sorry, novice.
Thanks

mankind66

Reaction score
Thanks.
Never done any flashing before. PC not working. No male usb cable.
Tv box playstore unusable, can't update itself or install any apps. Saw in YouTube how to upgrade playstore using es file explorer. Hope it works after mounting.

Just play play no harm. Learn something new. Might do flashing after getting usb cable. Have old tv box to play.

Just mount all as R/W.

But you need to learn to be able to flash the firmware first before experimenting.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Never done any flashing before. PC not working. No male usb cable.
Tv box playstore unusable, can't update itself or install any apps. Saw in YouTube how to upgrade playstore using es file explorer. Hope it works after mounting.

Just play play no harm. Learn something new. Might do flashing after getting usb cable. Have old tv box to play.

It is not necessary to have playstore. Just disable or uninstall playstore and install alternative such as yalp store.

mankind66

Reaction score
h3IMEA7.jpg

It seems /system is locked for this tv box. Try many times still shows RO for system.

Just mount all as R/W.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using apkpure and aptoide.
Just want to learn how to play with root edit.
Also want to know how to solve if playstore has problem

you can using es explorer's root explorer to uninstall playstore, then install again.

installation of playstore is not straight forward, if you are interested to do it, google to find out procedures.

benzene

Reaction score
Not feel surprised, usually it is not a good idea to buy from shows anyway. In fact the best places to buy is still online shops like Lazada.

Yap yap, but is always a common sight the IT show...
very scale down this year compare to the March one.
Xiaomi store at suntec do have ex-stock of Mi box S @ $98 (if i rem correctly)

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yap yap, but is always a common sight the IT show...
very scale down this year compare to the March one.
Xiaomi store at suntec do have ex-stock of Mi box S @ $98 (if i rem correctly)

Yes it is reported that there are Mi Box S boxes selling in some local Mi Shops (run by local Mi Distributor, not Xiaomi Singapore) now at around S$99. If you value one year local warranty it is not a bad buy. The normal price from Lazada is around S$75 to S$86.

mankind66

Reaction score
Had Google many times but unable to get solution.
Saw in YouTube using es file explorer root explorer but still fail.
Had chat with Google and they say my box not supported by them . Already give up.

you can using es explorer's root explorer to uninstall playstore, then install again.

installation of playstore is not straight forward, if you are interested to do it, google to find out procedures.

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the advantage of this tv box compared to plug in the laptop to tv via hdmi or using chromecast?
I have old laptop connected to tv at the moment to watch streaming? Alternative from using netflix directly from tv, because some show is not available at netflix.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the advantage of this tv box compared to plug in the laptop to tv via hdmi or using chromecast?
I have old laptop connected to tv at the moment to watch streaming? Alternative from using netflix directly from tv, because some show is not available at netflix.

It is easier to use a TV box than a computer and the space/power required is also less.

For example you typically use a remote control and not a keyboard/mouse with a TV box.

I use mouse and keyboard and the remote with my TV box but I am not a typical user of TV boxes.

Compare to Chromecast, then the Android TV boxes like Mi Box S obviously support more apps and do not require a mobile or computer to function. In fact Mi Box S even has Chromecast 4k function built-in.

But if you have a smart TV and Chromecast, you may not need an Android TV boxes if your apps required are fulfilled.

And if you are willing to use a laptop or HTPC, then you probably do not need an Android TV box either.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Another generic S905X2 box, and not a well-known one, avoid boxes like this T10 Pro.

If you want to buy S905X2 boxes, better buy those with a bit of brand name, for example Beelink GT1 MiNi. If you feel that is still expensive, buy Tanix TX5 Max OEM version (no Tanix logo) which is similar in price to other generic brands.

If you still think that is more expensive than you like and you find cheaper price for similar spec box, then at least check out more well known no-brand boxes like H96 Max X2, T95Q, X96 Max, etc.

Just check out the FreakTab forum for popular generic boxes.
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x2

Last edited:

Shawncck

Reaction score
Further test results with SuperSU full unroot and Manually delete method. I want to remove root access from my boxes.

X96 Mini Amlogic S905W box -- SuperSU full unroot works, not so sure what happened previously

R69 Rockchip RK3229 box -- SuperSu full unroot works

H96 Pro+ Amlogic S912 box-- SuperSu full unroot works

Tanix TX5 Max Amlogic S905X2 box -- SuperSu full unroot works.

Tania TX6 Allwinner H6 box -- SuperSu full unroot does not work, manual delete files using ES File Explorer app's root explorer function works.

H96 Max H2 Rockchip RK3328 box -- I am able to recover from the RK3328 H96 Max H2 box now. So I recovered it to the same stock firmware first, backed up the superuser.apk first as the lesson learned from previous experiment. SuperSU full unroot does not work. Manually delete the files and remove the system superuser app does not work either since /sbin/su comes back after reboot (/system/xbin/su is gone). But this time I have backed up superuser.apk so I can get it back installed to manage root access.

Enough of experiments. I will leave the H96 Max H2 box as it is now -- rooted but with superuser app managing the root access.

However this full unroot still does not work for apps like SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast and probably Astro Go official app.

For SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast, go for Mi Box S.

For Astro Go, based on Malaysia forum, go for Minix NEO U1 or Minix NEO U9-H. And there are methods to get it work for Tanix TX3 Mini (root switch) and TX5 Max (unroot first).

Hi Xiaofan, after you unroot, can check if your google is now certify? Are you able to pass the SafetyNet check? I believe only when u are able to pass the safetynet check, then you can install Singtel TV go.... I can install Singtel Cast on my 96 max x2 but not Singtel tv go.... can u check if your safetynet pass and is the google certify....

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan, after you unroot, can check if your google is now certify? Are you able to pass the SafetyNet check? I believe only when u are able to pass the safetynet check, then you can install Singtel TV go.... I can install Singtel Cast on my 96 max x2 but not Singtel tv go.... can u check if your safetynet pass and is the google certify....

This will not pass SafetyNet check. I already give up on SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast experiment -- get a Mi Box S for that purpose if you want that since it is known to work. It is just an experiment for me. The reason why I want to unroot the boxes is more for experiment and security reasons.

There is no such thing as Google certified for these Android TV boxes running mobile version of Android, only device running Android TV OS may possibly get Google certification. Boxes running mobile phone version of Android OS will not get Google certification.

There are very few popular Android TV boxes which got Google certification (not counting Sony/Sharp Android TV and operator version like Starhub Go Streaming box). Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Mecool KM8, Mecool KM9 Pro and Mecool KM3 are some examples of Google certified TV boxes. The three Mecool boxes are Google certified but not Netflix certified.

If you need Google certification and to pass SafetyNet check, get an official Android TV OS device like Mi Box S.

This is different in the mobile phone world where the phone anyway runs mobile phone version of Android. And then you use tools like Magisk to hide the root to pass SafetyNet check.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Official SingTel Cast Device Compatibility list.
https://www.singtel.com/content/dam...el Cast - List of Supported Devices FINAL.pdf

Most of the compatible devices are mobile phones and tablets. For big screen device you have Apple TV, Chromecast dongle, Sony/Sharp Android TV and Samsung Tizen smart TV.

Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV are not listed in the above list but they are reported to work, after all they run official Android TV OS just like Sony/Sharp Android TV.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.