Android TV Box

zensushi

Reaction score
you are being chopped carrot if you paid more than $15 for the box (brand new). But it is still much better than your acryan :)

it is an old box, a gift from philips if you bought non-smart tv.

it is using S805 chip, has 1GB RAM and 8GB internal storage.

Although it is dated, you can still use it to play media file up to 1080p properly. hardware decoding of h265 is also supported

Just need to install mx player, or kodi, because these 2 apps can play most video format.

Cautions: if you connect it to internet, it will update its playstore and playservice. After the updates, the box will become very irresponsible/laggy, because it has only 1GB RAM which is insufficient to run latest google services.

To make it work again, uninstall the updates for google playstore and google playservice, then disable them. The box will become much faster.

Thank you!

Managed to get the files to work with Kodi.

Yes, I am aware the media player is a complimentary item. But I just needed a simple player to replace the ACRyan one. :o

Had a headache trying to decipher the usefulness of the various boxes in the market now. What is a simple, updated media player box, please?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Managed to get the files to work with Kodi.

Yes, I am aware the media player is a complimentary item. But I just needed a simple player to replace the ACRyan one. :o

Had a headache trying to decipher the usefulness of the various boxes in the market now. What is a simple, updated media player box, please?

if you just want to play your own video library for up to 1080p, the philips box is good enough.

if you want higher speed with 4k video, many low end boxes at about $30 can do the job.

but it is better to get a reasonable box at about $50, using S905x or s905x2, with 2GB RAM. you can do streaming video from internet with such box.

The most versatile box is "mibox s" , you can play netflix 4k, prime video 4k with this box, come with chromecast built-in. About $75. You can also get box from nvidia with similar capbilities, at $200+

zensushi

Reaction score
if you just want to play your own video library for up to 1080p, the philips box is good enough.

if you want higher speed with 4k video, many low end boxes at about $30 can do the job.

but it is better to get a reasonable box at about $50, using S905x or s905x2, with 2GB RAM. you can do streaming video from internet with such box.

The most versatile box is "mibox s" , you can play netflix 4k, prime video 4k with this box, come with chromecast built-in. About $75. You can also get box from nvidia with similar capbilities, at $200+

Thank you for all the help!

Buy you a drink once we are good to mingle again? :s22: :s13:

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dunno whether to get a tv box that has pre-installed apps (that allow one to watch free movies and tv channels) or one that doesn't have.. I've never had a tv box before and I dunno how easy or how hard it is to download these kinds of apps...

eauyong

Reaction score
I dunno whether to get a tv box that has pre-installed apps (that allow one to watch free movies and tv channels) or one that doesn't have.. I've never had a tv box before and I dunno how easy or how hard it is to download these kinds of apps...

It is very easy. Just imagine it to be much easier than installing Microsoft Office in a PC. Download and click install whatever you wish. If you do not like it, just click uninstall. Also it is just like a new android phone such as Xiaomi or Samsung. ;)

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is very easy. Just imagine it to be much easier than installing Microsoft Office in a PC. Download and click install whatever you wish. If you do not like it, just click uninstall. Also it is just like a new android phone such as Xiaomi or Samsung. ;)

Ic how about which apps to download to watch live tv and movies... do we google/check Youtube to find out? For movies, we don't have to download the whole movie file... just download apps that stream movies can already right?

If we just wanna use the tv box for watching tv channels and movies and no gaming.. we should get one with at least 2gb+16gb is it?

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got Xiaomi Android TV box because of the damn CCB. Using Plex but hated it. There’s Netflix and Prime Video which are best for latest original contents. Subscription needed. Install Rakuteb VIKI to watch free Korean and Chinese TV shows. I haven’t tried meWATCH yet. I haven’t watched Channel 5 and 8 for a very long time. Only watch CNA Live on YouTube.

Downloading apps is like how you do on your Android phone. If you want those ‘friendly’ kind, I know it’s possible but I don’t know how to install.

To Android TV experts, is it possible to plug a usb DVB-T2 stick to my Mi Box S and watch those Ch5 or Ch8 stuff?

What do u mean by "friendly" kind of apps?

RadeonAMD

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got Xiaomi Android TV box because of the damn CCB. Using Plex but hated it. There’s Netflix and Prime Video which are best for latest original contents. Subscription needed. Install Rakuteb VIKI to watch free Korean and Chinese TV shows. I haven’t tried meWATCH yet. I haven’t watched Channel 5 and 8 for a very long time. Only watch CNA Live on YouTube.

Downloading apps is like how you do on your Android phone. If you want those ‘friendly’ kind, I know it’s possible but I don’t know how to install.

To Android TV experts, is it possible to plug a usb DVB-T2 stick to my Mi Box S and watch those Ch5 or Ch8 stuff?

have you tried install MeWatch on it ? if it works it can omit the use of DVB-T2 stick.

ichinisan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Feel like getting the Mi Box S but trying to hold on in case they release a new upgraded version

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

the best thing about mibox s is it has chromecast built-in. it opens up tons of possibility.

for mewatch, you run it on phone and press the chromecast button to transfer the video to mibox, after that you can use your phone for other purpose, or as a smart remote control for mibox s.

to learn more about mibox or any other tv boxes, visit facebook group - tv box sg.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ic how about which apps to download to watch live tv and movies... do we google/check Youtube to find out? For movies, we don't have to download the whole movie file... just download apps that stream movies can already right?

If we just wanna use the tv box for watching tv channels and movies and no gaming.. we should get one with at least 2gb+16gb is it?

2gb+8db is enough.

nowadays, most people stream video, downloading is a thing in the past, furthermore, it is not illegal.

see my earlier post to find out how/where to look for apps.

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the best thing about mibox s is it has chromecast built-in. it opens up tons of possibility.

for mewatch, you run it on phone and press the chromecast button to transfer the video to mibox, after that you can use your phone for other purpose, or as a smart remote control for mibox s.

to learn more about mibox or any other tv boxes, visit facebook group - tv box sg.

I have the Chromecast dongle and I plug it directly to the tv.. I only watch Youtube (cast from phone) with it... can we also cast meWATCH or other such apps from it?

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the Chromecast dongle and I plug it directly to the tv.. I only watch Youtube (cast from phone) with it... can we also cast meWATCH or other such apps from it?

yes, you can.

only for those chromecast-enabled apps, e.g netflix, mewatch, youtube, rss player , tivimate, chrome.......etc

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bummer. Why can’t Mediacorp make an app just for Android TV? I don’t want to chromecast everything. Defeat the purpose of a standalone device.

No Chrome browser on Android TV Google Play Store too. Damn annoying.

I have a Google Chromecast dongle despite my TV has built-in Chromecast which doesn’t work all the time.

Maybe I should have gotten an Apple TV where meWATCH can be installed. Anyone wants to buy my Mi Box S? Apple TV got Safari browser?

doesn't work or don't know what to use??

I will buy your chromecast dongle and mibox s, $10 each, since your opinion on them are so bad.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bummer. Why can’t Mediacorp make an app just for Android TV? I don’t want to chromecast everything. Defeat the purpose of a standalone device.

No Chrome browser on Android TV Google Play Store too. Damn annoying.

I have a Google Chromecast dongle despite my TV has built-in Chromecast which doesn’t work all the time.

Maybe I should have gotten an Apple TV where meWATCH can be installed. Anyone wants to buy my Mi Box S? Apple TV got Safari browser?
Most smart TV have meWATCH.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most smart TV have meWATCH.

yes, and it is a pain to use it.

mewatch is working well on handphone though.

if you want to watch on tv and don't want to grow more white hair, get a mibox s, chromecast dongle or nvidia shield and chromecast the video from phone to mibox.

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

mi box got inbuilt chromecast ultra.

u can cast mewatch or other apps or mirror your phone.

normally people here will recommend buy box and DIY.
if some "free" apps don't work well on tv, u can install on your phone and cast to screen.

So far, mi tv box S is rated the best value for money. The price range is $60~$70 recommendation for u.

if u dun want the hassle, can look at ubox/evpad

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.