Android TV Box

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
join my fb groups: tv box sg..... tv box (apps).....

read the post "how to set up mibox s", for instructions and tips.

in terms of setup and configurations, mibox s and chromecast with google tv are the same.

ok boss just press join:D

Earthling

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone know can install Starhub TV+ on android tv boxes like xiaomi mi box S? or must rent from them at $5per mth?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know can install Starhub TV+ on android tv boxes like xiaomi mi box S? or must rent from them at $5per mth?

Two options.
1) cast from mobile to Mi Box S
2) buy the lousy and laggy Starhub TV+ box if you do not want to go option 1

Earthling

Master Member
Reaction score
Two options.
1) cast from mobile to Mi Box S
2) buy the lousy and laggy Starhub TV+ box if you do not want to go option 1

the mibox is for my elderly parents, idk if they find it troublesome to press here and there to watch tv.

seems i have to pay for option 2? is starhub's box really that bad?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the mibox is for my elderly parents, idk if they find it troublesome to press here and there to watch tv.

seems i have to pay for option 2? is starhub's box really that bad?

Yes, very bad, please check the Starhub TV+ box thread.

The recommendation is to recontract with Starhub Fibre TV if you are existing customer, or sign up with SingTel TV, if you need ease of use for old folks.

Please also refer to the review from Hardwarezone.
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/fea...e-review-ott-netflix-hbo-go-pricing-singapore

"Frankly, I’d rather go back to my old “dumb” StarHub box and not have to suffer from the performance lag, which wasn't exactly a wonder on the old box, but it still made channel surfing a more reasonable experience than on the StarHub TV+ box."

Last edited:

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between Mi Box S and Mi TV stick ?

Mi TV sticks seems to have higher version of androin with ram and storage the same for both

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Mi TV sticks seems to have higher version of androin with ram and storage the same for both

Mi TV Stick: lower end with 1GB RAM only, 1080p only. Personally I will avoid it.

Mi Box S: 2GB RAM and 4k support

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks

But on Lazada/Shoppee the Mi Box S all stated as 1gb ram only

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But on Lazada/Shoppee the Mi Box S all stated as 1gb ram only

The following Lazada shop used to be a good place to buy Mi Box S but it seems to be out of stock. I bought my Mi Box S during 11.11 sale in 2019 from this shop. It clearly states 2GB/8GB configuration.

Xiaomi Mi tv box S Smart 4K Ultra HD 2G 8G Netflix Media Player Set top M19E, Global Version, MDZ-22-AB | https://s.lazada.sg/s.ZXszO

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mi Box S review (2GB RAM, 8GB storage, 4k)
https://androidpctv.com/review-xiaomi-mi-box-s/

Mi TV Stick (1GB RAM, 8GB storage, 1080p only)
https://androidpctv.com/review-xiaomi-mi-tv-stick-opinion/

Google Chromecast 2020 (2GB RAM, 8GB storage, 4k, faster CPU than Mi Box S, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos)
https://androidpctv.com/review-chromecast-google-tv-opinion/

Nvidia Shield TV 2019 (2GB RAM, 8GB storage) and Shield TV Pro 2019 (3GB RAM, 16GB storage), 4K, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, king of Android TV boxes
https://androidpctv.com/review-nvidia-shield-tv-2019-opinion/

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/uzjC64FKzWo

The above is a good summary why Mi Box S is often recommended as the streaming device to go.

A) It is a streaming device which makes your TV smart or smarter than it is now. This is true for TVs like those Samsung Frozen OS based smart TV, LG Webos based smart TV and even Xiaomi TV running Patchwall Android based OS.

B)It runs official Google Certified Android TV OS which is easy to use.

C) Very good streaming support due to running Certified Android TV OS, Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K are supported.

D) Good voice remote with Google Assistant

E) Chromecast 4k function built-in. This is one of the best feature of Mi Box S. You can use apps like Netflix, YouTube, Starhub TV+, SingTel TV Go, Singtel Cast, HBO Go, Viu Premium, etc, on the phone (iOS or Android) and then cast to your TV with this function. Basically this covers most of the popular Streaming services here in Singapore. Take note you can still use your phone for other things after the shows started on the TV. You can run Netflix, YouTube, TVB Anywhere+, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, SingTel TV Go and Singapore Cast on Mi Box S itself as well.

In terms of cost, typical cost in Lazada/Qoo10/Shopee is around S$70-80, depending on offer and coupon.

The main disadvantages of Mi Box S are the following.
a) The author mentions relatively weak CPU and occasionally lag or skip frame if you set the interface resolution as 4k. Still it is actually very good for streaming and even casual gaming due to good software optimization.

b) Relatively limited interface, only one USB 2.0 port and no Ethernet interface. Still take note the Dual Band AC WiFi works well.

c) Relatively small 8GB storage but you can add a fast USB Flash Drive to expand the storage

Nvidia Shield TV (usually S$200++) have all the advantages of Mi Box S and none of the disadvantages of Mi Box S.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Android TV box recommendation for year 2021.

Basically you can consider the following.
1) If you need Netflix or Chromecast, get Mi Box S or Google Chromecast 2020, below S$100.

Or if you want to pay for the best box, get Nvidia Shield TV.

2) Consider Mi Box S or Chromecast 2020 again if you are first time buyer.

3) If you only need Netflix but not Chromecast, and you want to get a powerful box, get Amazon FireTV Cube 2nd Gen (2019 model). Amazon FireTV Stick 4K is also a good buy if you get the offer price of US$29 to US$39.

4) If you do not need Netflix, you can also consider official Android TV OS box (but lack Netflix certification) like Minix NEO T5 (S905X2 based) or Mecool KM3/KM1 (S905X3 based) or KM6 (S905X4 based). They support Chromecast.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/uzjC64FKzWo

The main disadvantages of Mi Box S are the following.
a) The author mentions relatively weak CPU and occasionally lag or skip frame if you set the interface resolution as 4k. Still it is actually very good for streaming and even casual gaming due to good software optimization.

b) Relatively limited interface, only one USB 2.0 port and no Ethernet interface. Still take note the Dual Band AC WiFi works well.

c) Relatively small 8GB storage but you can add a fast USB Flash Drive to expand the storage

Nvidia Shield TV (usually S$200++) have all the advantages of Mi Box S and none of the disadvantages of Mi Box S.

a. it only happens when playing high bit rate 4k video. so it is recommended to the the display at 1080p if your tv is less than 65". if you are going to play high bitrate 4k video or your TV is bigger than 65", nvidia shield pro is recommended.

b. can be solved by adding an usb hub with ethernet.

c. 8GB doesn't sound big, in fact only 5GB is available for users. However, you can easily install 30-50 apps using the available space, sufficient for most users. For those who need more space, a small 32GB/64GB external SDD is recommended.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
a. it only happens when playing high bit rate 4k video. so it is recommended to the the display at 1080p if your tv is less than 65". if you are going to play high bitrate 4k video or your TV is bigger than 65", nvidia shield pro is recommended.

b. can be solved by adding an usb hub with ethernet.

c. 8GB doesn't sound big, in fact only 5GB is available for users. However, you can easily install 30-50 apps using the available space, sufficient for most users. For those who need more space, a small 32GB/64GB external SDD is recommended.

My take:
1) Good advice to set the interface at 1080p. I myself only have 1080p display and Mi Box S is very smooth.

2) Indeed a USB Hub with Ethernet is good accessory to buy. I actually bought a Ugreen USB Hub with 100Mbps Ethernet but in the end I do not use it. Mi Box S 5GHz AC WiFi is very good. So the Ethernet adapter may not be needed if your Mi Box S is not too far away from the router. I do use a USB Wireless/Keyboard bundle occasionally.

3) Indeed 8GB is good enough. It is not recommended to install many apps on Mi Box S and personally I will make sure I have at least 1GB storage left. I do not see the need to add external storage myself.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.