Android TV Box

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If decided to stop the subscription, will it startup straight to Android TV or Starhub home screen? Not sure if it has option to choose default.

I have not yet have this Starhub Go streaming box and have the intention to get as the alternative.

From my reading on this it is an Android TV box and like any other similar devices there would have all the Apps on display.

Starhub Go require to login to your account, if any, before you can watch the subscribed channels & dramas.

Similarly in Starhub TV Set top box there is a channel where some Apps are available to open.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Starhub Streaming box is just another Android TV box > specification and the Box set-up guide.

The original high cost $199 are due;
(1) Includes over 50 Live TV and Catch-up channels from Go Family for 6 months (U.P. $14.90).
(2) Limited time offer of 6 months FREE Go Select (U.P. $9.90/month).
Taking into consideration on the above both cost this box would cost about $50 for the box itself.

If you work out the costing on the Packs > Starhub Go Packs

Part of the package includes;
1) Go Family (TV Channels) $14.90 x 6 = $89.40
2) Go Select Packs on $9.90 x 6 = $59.40
Total 89.40 + 59.40 = $148.80

Full Package = 199 - 148.80 = $50.20 for the Starhub Go Streaming box.

For the Go Select Packs $9.90 you have a choice on Sports or TV series.

The TV series do include TVB dramas, K-dramas, HBO Originals and more as available in the Starhub Go channels.

Beside there is movies channels in CATCHPLAY Unlimited or per movie.

Good overview for anybody considering signing up.

In fact, it's a good deal for anybody thinking of buying an Android box 2/8GB :).

swathe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the starhub android TV box worth the sub?

depends on needs. other android tv box + netflix for 6 months cheaper than Starhub.

and other android tv box would have better specs. broadcom more for TV only

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All depends on the need. Amlogic S905W based 2GB/16GB version is about S$40 from Taobao. Amlogic S912 based 3GB/32GB and Rockchip RK3328 4GB/64GB version are about S$70-80. If you know how to install the apps — eg, Dangbei market and then try the different live TV apps to watch mainland China and Hong Kong live TVs, then they are much more cost effective than the S$100++ boxes sold in Sim Lim or other place. Google play App Store (mobile phone version) is also available and a lot of apps are compatible. Kodi is also included as well.

But if you need High Resolution Youtube and High Resolution Netflix (I do not use Netflix myself), then it is said that Mi Box International version (official Android TV) is probably one of the most cost effective box to get. There are some Android TV boxes which comes with Android TV (eg: Mecool M8S Pro L, Amlogic S912, 3GB/32GB), not so sure if it is officially Google certified or not. The apps are more limited in Android TV than phone version of Android though.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All depends on the need. Amlogic S905W based 2GB/16GB version is about S$40 from Taobao. Amlogic S912 based 3GB/32GB and Rockchip RK3328 4GB/64GB version are about S$70-80. If you know how to install the apps — eg, Dangbei market and then try the different live TV apps to watch mainland China and Hong Kong live TVs, then they are much more cost effective than the S$100++ boxes sold in Sim Lim or other place. Google play App Store (mobile phone version) is also available and a lot of apps are compatible. Kodi is also included as well.

But if you need High Resolution Youtube and High Resolution Netflix (I do not use Netflix myself), then it is said that Mi Box International version (official Android TV) is probably one of the most cost effective box to get. There are some Android TV boxes which comes with Android TV (eg: Mecool M8S Pro L, Amlogic S912, 3GB/32GB), not so sure if it is officially Google certified or not. The apps are more limited in Android TV than phone version of Android though.

Ref: TOP 10 Android TV boxes
https://youtu.be/HGs8yF5VOvU
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k3_2LBJDzj6JPGw2lADwTi2qvZQpKKy6L4mO7jLm1LQ/htmlview

Just for reference, No 2 (H96 Max RK3399) and No 3 (X99 RK3399) may be a bit overrated even though RK3399 has the raw power. No 1 is Nvidia Shield TV running Android TV. No 4 is Mi Box Android TV. No 9 is Mecool M8S Pro L Android TV. No 5/6/10 are all Amazon. No 7 is a hybrid device with TV tuner. No 8 is the H96 Max Plus 4GB/64GB RK3288.

Hey bro, can show me which of these 3/32GB or 4/64GB cost about SGD$70~$80? I've been searching and all are above SGD$100 :s11:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just did a search in Qoo10 and there are also vendors selling at this range with cheaper shipment but no sure about the reliability of the vendors in Qoo10 — I myself never used Qoo10.

swathe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey bro, can show me which of these 3/32GB or 4/64GB cost about SGD$70~$80? I've been searching and all are above SGD$100 :s11:

Wait for coupon and 11.11 sale.

Frankly to me, Starhub TV box is not worth it. Not sure if it is Starhub social marketers keep pushing it, acting as fellow forumers.

Justifying that the box is $50 by counting paying full price of $24.80 for 6 months is stupid. That defeats the purpose of the TV box which is not to subscribe to inflexible pay TV but rather use for other subs like Netflix, etc.

If I am willing to pay $24.80 per month, I would not buy a TV box. I would still see Starhub box as overly priced at $199 and you get free Starhub channels for 6 months which you may fully watch the channels.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just did a search in Qoo10 and there are also vendors selling at this range with cheaper shipment but no sure about the reliability of the vendors in Qoo10 — I myself never used Qoo10.

Most boxes with these specs in Qoo10 are over $100. You need to select the box and additional cost will be added to base price; cannot just see base price.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most boxes with these specs in Qoo10 are over $100. You need to select the box and additional cost will be added to base price; cannot just see base price.

lazada has better offers for android tv box.

However, I think it is a waste of money to get TV boxes with 3GB or more RAM, because the tv apps are not making use of RAM higher than 1.5GB.

3/4GB box is targeted for gamers.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lazada has better offers for android tv box.

However, I think it is a waste of money to get TV boxes with 3GB or more RAM, because the tv apps are not making use of RAM higher than 1.5GB.

3/4GB box is targeted for gamers.

Yeah, the 2/16GB Starhub box is sufficient but buying the same box for $50 is impossible.

swathe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the 2/16GB Starhub box is sufficient but buying the same box for $50 is impossible.

Buying a box below $199 is possible, inclusive of 6 months subscription to Netflix HD yet with change.. Starhub box is not $50 for goodness sake.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is more cost effective to buy from Taotao and AliExpress then. I bought three boxes recently and all three of them run Android adequately and the two Amligic based devices run Arminian Linux pretty well as well. Heat may be a problem for long term reliability— a small USB fan will help a lot here.

The three boxes I have:
Amlogic S905W 2GB/16GB : X96 Mini, about S$40, no brand, Tanix TX3 Mini is of similar price or only slightly higher but may have better build quality. There are many other brand as well. Due to heat dissipation concerns the device may output only 720p even though some versions of the firmware can support 1080p.

Amlogic S912 3GB/32GB: no brand H96 Pro+, about S$75, better performance than S905W and RK3288. Gigabit Ethernet. There are a few better brand device which are a bit more expensive like Mecool M8S Pro L, Tanix TX9, Sunwell T95Z Plus, etc.
2GB/16GB versions are usually available as well at about S$55 or S$60 for no-brand boxes and a bit more expensive for branded device.

Rockchip RK3328 4GB/64GB with air mouse, H96 Max Plus, about S$80. This has USB3.0 but no gigabit Ethernet. There are better device as well with Gigabit Ethernet. But I think this is not worth buying compared to S912 based device.

Brand like Zidoo and Beelink are a bit pricey.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I think most people here will be better suited with the mi box or Nvidia shield. If they want a hacker device, they can buy a seperate single board computer.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.