Android TV Box

sat_cse28

Reaction score
Looking for a good tv box to watch Hollywood Live TV channels, Hollywood Movies, Sports and Indian channels.

Need an option to add external IPTV server.

Last edited:

rio40

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I've been searching for a solution for the cheap generic tx6-p box (2GB/16GB RAM/DISK) crackled sound but I wasn't able to find it.

When I run the update app I receive a "Now is the latest version".

All specs are similar to the tx6-a (https://androidpctv.com/review-tanix-tx6a-opinion/#VIDEO_AND_AUDIO_TEST, the output from AIDA64 is the same as described there) but I'm afraid to brick it.

Any hints?

(Sorry if duplicated or redundant)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I've been searching for a solution for the cheap generic tx6-p box (2GB/16GB RAM/DISK) crackled sound but I wasn't able to find it.

All specs are similar to the tx6-a (https://androidpctv.com/review-tanix-tx6a-opinion/#VIDEO_AND_AUDIO_TEST, the output from AIDA64 is the same as described there) but I'm afraid to brick it.

Any hints?

You are at the mercy of the OEM vendor now. You have to wait for FW upgrades which may or may not happen.

If you look at the Tanix official store at Gearbest, there are only Tanix TX6 and TX6 Mini for the official version with Tanix Logo.

https://www.gearbest.com/top-brands/brand/Tanix.html

There are no such version as Tanix TX6-A and TX6-P in the official store. If you look at the AndroidPCTV review article you can see that the TX6-A reviewed there is without Tanix Logo.

FYI Tanix has released multiple versions of FW upgrades for Tanix TX6, and the FW upgrades include fixes for crack sounds. The FW upgrades work on my OEM Version of TX6. But the FW upgrades did not fix the thermal issues so I have to use a fan with the box. The thermal issue is also present for the official version of Tanix TX6 based on reports from various websites.

Another thing, my OEM Version of TX5 Max receives no FW updates at all but luckily it works without any issues.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Any hints?

Android box is cheap, no point saving a few dollars to get box with no brand.

Next time make sure that the box you get has a proper brand/model number and a support site.

You may want to try downloading firmware from similar model to flash it, make sure that the RAM and NAND are identical. Sometimes it will brick the box, sometimes it works but not the wifi and/or remote control. In the later case, it is still ok if you are not using wifi and has an airmouse.

If bricked, take it as tuition fee.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tx6-a is tanix new low cost model

Sent from HUAWEI MHA-L29 using GAGT

I checked Gearbest Tanix Offcial shop again and indeed that is correct. They do have official version of Tanix TX6-A.

https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009606687222.html?wid=1433363&lkid=20402321

The spec is almost the same as Tanix TX6 (lacks Gigabit Ethernet but still has external antenna) and higher than Tanix TX6 Mini.

Still I will not recommend to buy any Tanix TX6 and the variants (even the official version with Tanix logo) due to the thermal issues unless someone can confirm that they have fixed the issue in newer hardware revisions or variants.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tanix official FW images download site:
http://www.tanix-box.com/downloads/

No FW image downloads for TX5 Max S905X2 Box and new TX5 Pro Box with S905X2 .

No FW image downloads for TX6 Mini and TX6-A yet.

But they may or may not have OTA FW updates. For example TX6 has multiple FW updates after the 20190228 version.

rio40

Reaction score
Android box is cheap, no point saving a few dollars to get box with no brand.

Next time make sure that the box you get has a proper brand/model number and a support site.

You may want to try downloading firmware from similar model to flash it, make sure that the RAM and NAND are identical. Sometimes it will brick the box, sometimes it works but not the wifi and/or remote control. In the later case, it is still ok if you are not using wifi and has an airmouse.

If bricked, take it as tuition fee.

thank you... totally agree. i have 2 other xiaomi boxes and i was trying to taste another flavor... didnt know there were non branded boxes since it was advertised as a tanix tx6... I would never guess it wasn't original...

my best regards...

Last edited:

rio40

Reaction score
You are at the mercy of the OEM vendor now. You have to wait for FW upgrades which may or may not happen.

If you look at the Tanix official store at Gearbest, there are only Tanix TX6 and TX6 Mini for the official version with Tanix Logo.

https://www.gearbest.com/top-brands/brand/Tanix.html

There are no such version as Tanix TX6-A and TX6-P in the official store. If you look at the AndroidPCTV review article you can see that the TX6-A reviewed there is without Tanix Logo.

FYI Tanix has released multiple versions of FW upgrades for Tanix TX6, and the FW upgrades include fixes for crack sounds. The FW upgrades work on my OEM Version of TX6. But the FW upgrades did not fix the thermal issues so I have to use a fan with the box. The thermal issue is also present for the official version of Tanix TX6 based on reports from various websites.

Another thing, my OEM Version of TX5 Max receives no FW updates at all but luckily it works without any issues.
thank you @xiaofan.

I didnt notice a thermal problem just the sound issue. Do you think I should proceed with the fw update as you did? @gregory_choo mentioned that it may brick the box (or even have an impact on peripherals) but it is barely usable as is.

If you recommend to update, which fw should I use?

All the best.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thank you @xiaofan.

I didnt notice a thermal problem just the sound issue. Do you think I should proceed with the fw update as you did? @gregory_choo mentioned that it may brick the box (or even have an impact on peripherals) but it is barely usable as is.

If you recommend to update, which fw should I use?

All the best.

No idea about TX6-P because I do not think it is from Tanix. But you can try to ask in Freaktab forum.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is x96max good? can it playback 4k vids from external hdd?

The specifications of the X96 Max is good since it has a pretty good S905X2 CPU which is capable of dealing with 4K Video decoding.

Review:
https://androidpctv.com/review-x96-max/

However X96 is a generic brand so the build quality may vary a lot. You may have better luck with better brand box like Beelink GT1 Mini.

If you need Netflix HD or Chromecast, then go for Mi Box S.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.