Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can watch any Taiwanese or Korean tv shows on Mi Box S?

It all depends on the app.

For example you can subscribe SingTel Cast Chinese Plus Pack.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/lifestyle-services/cast/chinese-plus

And Viu for Korean shows.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/lifestyle-services/cast/viu-premium

Mi Box S supports SingTel Cast. And you can cast to TV with Viu Premium and Mi Box S' built-in Chromecast function.

RaptureM3

Reaction score
Having some issues with my Mi Box S hope the bros here can help me out.

I have it paired with a Mi TV 4S Global version, and notice that when i scroll through the apps, or within the Netflix app, scroll from show to show, the screen will flicker once before the preview/auto-play starts playing. When playing YouTube or Netflix videos however, buttery smooth with no flickering. It only happens when scrolling through apps/videos.

I have tried different HDMI cable, different HDMI port, and even put the Mi Box S on another TV, not able to replicate the problem. I don't think it's the TV issue as my Mi TV 4S is global version so comes with Playstore (only no Netflix) and it doesn't flicker as i scroll through the apps or in YouTube.

Might be an issue with the resolution in Mi Box S but i've tried 4k/1080p/etc still flickers.

Have searched Google but doesn't seem to have anyone else facing the same issue.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Will try to take a video and post here soon.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Having some issues with my Mi Box S hope the bros here can help me out.

I have it paired with a Mi TV 4S Global version, and notice that when i scroll through the apps, or within the Netflix app, scroll from show to show, the screen will flicker once before the preview/auto-play starts playing. When playing YouTube or Netflix videos however, buttery smooth with no flickering. It only happens when scrolling through apps/videos.

I have tried different HDMI cable, different HDMI port, and even put the Mi Box S on another TV, not able to replicate the problem. I don't think it's the TV issue as my Mi TV 4S is global version so comes with Playstore (only no Netflix) and it doesn't flicker as i scroll through the apps or in YouTube.

Might be an issue with the resolution in Mi Box S but i've tried 4k/1080p/etc still flickers.

Have searched Google but doesn't seem to have anyone else facing the same issue.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Will try to take a video and post here soon.

This one is strange. No idea from my side. I have not encountered this issue with my Mi Box S on my monitor or dumb TV (both 1080p).

You may want to ask in the Mi Box thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-discussion-ii-[consolidated]-5537957-71.html

Or maybe the Mi TV thread.

RaptureM3

Reaction score

RedsYWNA

Reaction score
Dear Bros and Sis,

Are there any Chinese alternatives (paid) that can compete with Spotify, which I can download on my phone or use on my TV Box?

A few of the Chinese alternatives I was researching, would say they may not have SG copyright for instance......

I had previously ignored Chinese apps, as I dont have wechat or alipay. Now that Alipay has opened up, things are different and I thought it's worth a 2nd look at cheaper Chinese alternatives to Spotify..... Thanks.

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there are a couple of music apps. but most of them have "geolocked" tracks due to yea copyright issues.

examples are qq music, xiami, kugou etc.
for qq, there is option to purchase vip subscription to bypass some track locks.

RedsYWNA

Reaction score
there are a couple of music apps. but most of them have "geolocked" tracks due to yea copyright issues.

for qq, there is option to purchase vip subscription to bypass some track locks.

Thanks Bro..... Yah, "geo-locked" is the main issue for me, compared to say Spotify which has a far more comprehensive list, at least for SG market. Eg some Chinese apps dont have Jay Chou songs for SG market.

Of course, Spotify is also more ex compared to the Chinese apps.....

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

music's bit rate is not high.

it is easy to get free china vpn to unblock.

Pengsp

Reaction score
What's an affordable box with a fast chip and SD card slot, if want to play some games? I am comparing the generic Android boxes and Minix, but Minix seems to be the same models from few years ago, dunno if worth buying.
I got GT King (~$140)+generic Xbox game controller (~$30+, supposed for my current Xbox but works well with TV box as well) can run Asphat 8 pretty smooth. Got sdcard slot but you don't need that as plenty storage available.
Running Kodi is also very fast. For some reason, Kodi on the box seems to be snappier than my PC. Nothing to complain about the box; Yet.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got GT King (~$140)+generic Xbox game controller (~$30+, supposed for my current Xbox but works well with TV box as well) can run Asphat 8 pretty smooth. Got sdcard slot but you don't need that as plenty storage available.
Running Kodi is also very fast. For some reason, Kodi on the box seems to be snappier than my PC. Nothing to complain about the box; Yet.

If you do not need Netflix HD, not need Chromecast and apps like TVB Anywhere+, SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast, etc, and good Kodi and Android gaming experiences, then yes this Beelink GT King is a very good box.

If you have similar needs as above but not that into gaming (still need Kodi and good UI experiences, no need Netflix HD, no need Chromecast), then you can save a lot by going to cheaper S905X2/S905X3 based boxes, like Tanix TX3 S905X3 box.

Official Tanix TX3 from Gearbest
4GB+64GB at S$62.33

Last edited:

sgbdk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just brought a samsung qled tv and learnt that samsung remote can be program to control android tv boxes as well, however evpad is not under the listed brand when trying to setup the ONEREMOTE function. Anyone have luck how to use samsung remote to control evpad?

Anyone can help

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ichinisan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It all depends on the app.

For example you can subscribe SingTel Cast Chinese Plus Pack.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/lifestyle-services/cast/chinese-plus

And Viu for Korean shows.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/lifestyle-services/cast/viu-premium

Mi Box S supports SingTel Cast. And you can cast to TV with Viu Premium and Mi Box S' built-in Chromecast function.

Are there any apps that I can still use for those shows if I don’t subscribe to these?

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apple TV
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/apple-clinic-5/apple-tv-4-a-5209888-61.html

Latest Android TV boxes.
1) Nvidia Shield TV is still king of Android TV boxes.
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 is good for streaming.
Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 is good for gaming.

2) Latest Amlogic S922X (or similar) based boxes
Amazon FireTV Cube Gen 2 2019 is a very good device on the higher end (FireTV Stick 4K is good value in the low end side).

Then there are boxes like Beelink GT-King and GT-King Pro, Ugoos AM6 and AM6 Pro. They are pretty good boxes but may not really worth buying unless you want to play more demanding Android games.

3) New Amlogic S905X3 based box like Beelink GT1 Mini 2, ugoos design X3 Cube and Tanix TX3 are out and will be even more popular and lower cost in 2020. This will make it not worth buying generic boxes based on other CPUs.

4) Unfortunately other than the new Nvidia Shield TV 2019, there are no really much new boxes running official Android TV boxes and certified by Netflix. So Mi Box S remains the best value under sub-S$100.

5) Amazon FireTV Stick 4k is still of good value. Amazon FireTV Cube 2nd Gen is also worth looking at.

Hi Xiaofan, does the Mi Box S comes rooted by default?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan, does the Mi Box S comes rooted by default?

No.

No need to root at all. Once you root you lose the DRM.

Actually, even for my generic boxes, I have managed to unroot the boxes with the exception of one box which I was not able to achieve the unroot.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No.

No need to root at all. Once you root you lose the DRM.

Actually, even for my generic boxes, I have managed to unroot the boxes with the exception of one box which I was not able to achieve the unroot.

I see.

The Mi Box S is powered by an Amlogic S905 which is the same as X96 mini so can I say the performance will be the same?

If that's the case, is the next higher tier CPU the S905X2 or S912? I was thinking of getting a more powerful box after my TX5 Max died :(. What are some of the boxes you recommend?

Thank you.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see.

The Mi Box S is powered by an Amlogic S905 which is the same as X96 mini so can I say the performance will be the same?

If that's the case, is the next higher tier CPU the S905X2 or S912? I was thinking of getting a more powerful box after my TX5 Max died :(. What are some of the boxes you recommend?

Thank you.

Mi Box S has S905X CPU so it has higher performance than the S905W based X96 Mini.

S905X2 and S905X3 are the newer generation CPU from Amlogic and both are better than S912. I will recommend you to get Tanix original version of TX3 S905X3 based box, from Gearbest. Make sure you buy from Gearbest and not from local online shops like Lazada or Shopee which only sell OEM version.

Price is from Gearbest app. Do not buy the 2GB/16GB model as it has only 2.4GHz WiFi and has no Bluetooth.
4GB/32GB at S$59.62
4FB/64GB at S$62.33

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.