Android TV Box

tyrensky

Reaction score
In that case, you can check out Mecool KM1 S905X3. S905X2 box is also okay and you can look at Minix NEO T5. Both are certified Google Android TV OS device, but not Netflix HD certified.
Beelink GT1 Mini 2 is also a possible choice without certified Android TV OS.

But if you want to look at cheaper box and you are an experienced user, then A95X F3 or F3 Air seems to be popular. It is a generic no brand box so the quality may vary.

Deciding between A95x F3 and F3 air, there's not much of a diff other than F3 support mobile control and Plex.

What is plex? Am I missing something?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Deciding between A95x F3 and F3 air, there's not much of a diff other than F3 support mobile control and Plex.

Plex
https://www.plex.tv/

Usually you install Plex server on the NAS or PC, then install Plex client on the phone or TV box.

As for the difference between F3 and F3 air, on the HW side only minor differences in the RGB LED effect, which is not important at all.
https://androidpctv.com/review-a95x-f3-opinion/

As for the FW difference of mobile control and Plex, I believe it is not important either. You can install Plex on the F3 Air as well. And you can install Cetusplay on the F3 Air to use your mobile phone to control the TV box.

Last edited:

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I got air n slim. Good enough.

Sent from Xiaomi MI PAD 4 using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

chaiscool

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don’t most 4k tv already have smart features?

If you are happy with the built-in apps of Samsung or LG Smart TVs like Netflix and YouTube, then indeed they are okay.

But in reality Samsung Tizen and LG WebOS are pretty dumb compared to Android TV OS.

For example, if you want to have TVB Anywhere+ you are out of luck.

If you need SingTel Cast, then yes Samsung has it but not LG.

If you need Starhub TV+, then the best bet is to cast from mobile with the built-in Chromecast function of Mi Box S or other Android TV OS devices.

You can also sideload many other apps on Android TV OS devices and many apps are not available from Samsung or LG.

Last edited:

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
Personal experience with my Samsung Smart TV- it’s only good if you use the default Netflix, YouTube, Prime and MeWatch apps. Save for MeWatch, the rest of the apps are responsive and hardly ever any lag. But if you’re looking to sideload your own apps not available on their App Store, then you’ll need an Andriod Box like the two gurus have mentioned, or you use the built in chromecast to mirror from your mobile device onto the TV.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are happy with the Britain apps of Samsung or LG Smart TVs like Netflix and YouTube, then indeed they are okay.

But in reality Samsung Tizen and LG WebOS are pretty dumb compared to Android TV OS.

For example, if you want to have TVB Anywhere+ you are out of luck.

If you need SingTel Cast, then yes Samsung has it but not LG.

If you need Starhub TV+, then the best bet is to cast from mobile with the built-in Chromecast function of Mi Box S or other Android TV OS devices.

You can also sideload many other apps on Android TV OS devices and many apps are not available from Samsung or LG.

Smart TV can only allow user to install some app and not all the apps.
Android TV box can be more flexible.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personal experience with my Samsung Smart TV- it’s only good if you use the default Netflix, YouTube, Prime and MeWatch apps. Save for MeWatch, the rest of the apps are responsive and hardly ever any lag. But if you’re looking to sideload your own apps not available on their App Store, then you’ll need an Andriod Box like the two gurus have mentioned, or you use the built in chromecast to mirror from your mobile device onto the TV.

tizen OS can install apk lah

just like TV storage pathetic no point

******* sammy i go removed uesless preinstall app but reinstall by itself again
still searching for solution

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Useful info from Xiaomi TV thread. Xiaomi TV running official Android TV OS can be a good alternative to Android TV Box.

The Github site mentioned is a good reference to Xiaomi TV and Mi Box models as well.

The following models are good to buy.
Mi TV (其他地区):

L32M5-5ASP: Mi TV 4A 32
L43M5-5ASP: Mi TV 4S 43
L55M5-5ASP: Mi TV 4S 55
L65M5-5ASP: Mi TV 4S 65

Mi Box (国际版):

MDZ-16-AB: Mi Box
MDZ-22-AB: Mi Box S

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...sion-thread-vi-[consolidated]-6320461-32.html

Xiaomi produces many TV models, but only a (fairly) small number of Xiaomi TV models are officially meant for markets outside China.

Below is a list of known Xiaomi TV models:
https://github.com/KHwang9883/MobileModels/blob/master/brands/mitv.md

I've previously (already) shared the above link in this thread.
The above list is updated till 2020-08-11 (as indicated on above Web page).

The above Xiaomi TV models' list has 3 sections:
(a) TV models for China market (国内产品).
(b) TV models for India market (印度产品).
(c) TV models for International market (国际产品).

Currently, section (c) is a short list.
There is just only one (1) model of 65" Xiaomi TV inside section (c): L65M5-5ASP

Yes, since L65M5-5ASP is for International market, it runs Android TV OS & comes with:
(1) Google Playstore, Google Assistant, Youtube, Netflix & Google Chromecast built-in.
(2) The TV remote control has dedicated Netflix/Amazon prime video buttons.
Buying guide omitted

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can install lah but not that straight forward
got video somemore at least for sammy in AV forum

but many dare not try as risk of TV brick

hard to believe.

apk is meant for android os, but it can be installed on other os?

even among the versions of android os, some old apps can't work on newer os version, new apps can't work on older os version, handphone apps can't work on android tv os, and android tv os can't work on handphone os.

where is the link?

no link no talk

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hard to believe.

apk is meant for android os, but it can be installed on other os?

even among the versions of android os, some old apps can't work on newer os version, new apps can't work on older os version, handphone apps can't work on android tv os, and android tv os can't work on handphone os.

where is the link?

no link no talk

ang mo forum

me like many kiasi sinkies no dare test so no comments

darr

Reaction score
I saw Tanix TX6S on banggood and gearbest, 4g 64g ~US$47. Look quite good, and running on Android 10.

I just bought the Xiaomi TV Stick. Usable, and comes with voice remote by default, so pretty good value. Bit sluggish and no usb ports but is fine since i only use it to watch Netflix and Youtube. Plus is the portability can use for travels.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I saw Tanix TX6S on banggood and gearbest, 4g 64g ~US$47. Look quite good, and running on Android 10.

I just bought the Xiaomi TV Stick. Usable, and comes with voice remote by default, so pretty good value. Bit sluggish and no usb ports but is fine since i only use it to watch Netflix and Youtube. Plus is the portability can use for travels.

Tanix TX6S (assuming you get the original version from Tanix, with Tanix logo,
https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009450467685.html?wid=1433363)
comes with H616 CPU which is supposedly better than the Tanix TX6 based on the thermal challenged H6 CPU. But I will still avoid it myself.

FYI the only box I very much regret to buy is the OEM TX6 which has serious thermal issues and died after one year plus of light use.

I will suggest buying S905X2 /S905X3 based boxes which are proven to be cool and have better performance than H6/H616. The cost is also not much difference.

Personally I prefer Mi Box S than Mi TV Stick 1080p because it has 2GB RAM (I run it in 1080p and not 4k so very smooth). But Mi TV Stick should be okay if you run the built-in apps only or a few more.

Last edited:

kssk88

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for a hybrid Android box with fast turn on time.

Currently has one which takes >1 min to start viewing TV channels.
Have another T2 tuner box is faster but would prefer android hybrid.

Hope to find one that gets the Tv tuner ready in 10-20sec, which the
android functions can load at a later stage, automatically or manually.

Any suggestions ?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for a hybrid Android box with fast turn on time.

Currently has one which takes >1 min to start viewing TV channels.
Have another T2 tuner box is faster but would prefer android hybrid.

Hope to find one that gets the Tv tuner ready in 10-20sec, which the
android functions can load at a later stage, automatically or manually.

Any suggestions ?

Very few hybrid boxes out there and not so sure about the boot time.

Mecool K7 is one of the newer model
https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009169636012.html?wid=1349303

Review
https://androidpctv.com/review-mecool-k7-opinion/

You can check the YouTube review from Chigz Tech and TV Box Stop to see if you are happy with the boot up performance.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.