Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
I recommend Shimano SPD multi release cleat SH56, can hank out in the event of emergency



to look pro? LOL... ECP also considered PCN or part of the connection, u see rider chiong on ECP. clipless is goof for improving efficiency in pedaling.

First off...the SH56 are for two hole cleats. A cyclist has to know which system he is buying into...two hole or three hole (primarily for road bikes)

Second, if he is not going on the ECP then it's not worthwhile getting cleats. Riding on the PCN with cleats probably raises the danger level because you may not be able to unclip in time. That's why I only clip in on my right foot and I ride a LOT on the roads.
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,788
Reaction score
1,810
I recommend Shimano SPD multi release cleat SH56, can hank out in the event of emergency



to look pro? LOL... ECP also considered PCN or part of the connection, u see rider chiong on ECP. clipless is goof for improving efficiency in pedaling.

aiyo ppl spend $$ ma, their $$, if they buy to look pro then so be it lor
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
First off...the SH56 are for two hole cleats. A cyclist has to know which system he is buying into...two hole or three hole (primarily for road bikes)

Second, if he is not going on the ECP then it's not worthwhile getting cleats. Riding on the PCN with cleats probably raises the danger level because you may not be able to unclip in time. That's why I only clip in on my right foot and I ride a LOT on the roads.

He is on a mtb, so naturally is 2 holes spd cleat. dont think u can use 3 holes cleat with mtb shoes... maybe not shimano anyway, speed play, yes.

why clip in one leg and not the other? defeats the purpose of using clipless honestly. the more you do that, the less you will get used to unclipping. Train your muscle memory to unclip then it becomes 2nd nature. I frequent ECP from my place via PCN, never encountered any incident with exception to ECP, alot of close shave, jam braking. But never fail to unclip. I use clipless on both my tyrell and brompton, but mainly because I hate the sensation of getting my shin whack an scratch by the pedal.
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,192
Reaction score
3,670
Eh... Even if u all ride on road also a lot of stopping at traffic lights mah.... Like that how u all manage with cleats on? Or don't get off the bike until it turns green? I can only tahan 10 secs don't dismount.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT
 
Last edited:

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
if u can anticipate a stop, then unclip in advance. when you start with clipless, expect to fall a few times, once u get a hang of things... it should be 2nd nature.. but then, there will be times u will fail to unclip in time :p
 

Nemesismaster

Master Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2011
Messages
3,811
Reaction score
64
Eh... Even if u all ride on road also a lot of stopping at traffic lights mah.... Like that how u all manage with cleats on? Or don't get off the bike until it turns green? I can only tahan 10 secs don't dismount.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

Or ride in group where u make sure ur not the ride leader ...just see all the monkeys unclip then u monkey do Lor
 

Albedo

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
34,777
Reaction score
2,399
Eh... Even if u all ride on road also a lot of stopping at traffic lights mah.... Like that how u all manage with cleats on? Or don't get off the bike until it turns green? I can only tahan 10 secs don't dismount.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

When i was usinig clipless, approaching junctions i need to unclip one side to pre-ampt. Just to be on the safe side...

Nowadays i don't use clipless anymore. Its more relaxing and its not necessary when i cycle in PCN with my wife.
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
dangerous meh? u go trail run also got bruises from knocks.. what is a fall or 2 :p. u wear full body armor la. btw, I only fall once from a slippery floor, never from an emergency stop
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
He is on a mtb, so naturally is 2 holes spd cleat. dont think u can use 3 holes cleat with mtb shoes... maybe not shimano anyway, speed play, yes.

why clip in one leg and not the other? defeats the purpose of using clipless honestly. the more you do that, the less you will get used to unclipping. Train your muscle memory to unclip then it becomes 2nd nature. I frequent ECP from my place via PCN, never encountered any incident with exception to ECP, alot of close shave, jam braking. But never fail to unclip. I use clipless on both my tyrell and brompton, but mainly because I hate the sensation of getting my shin whack an scratch by the pedal.

First off, to make sure that he knows that for MTBs it's two holes and not three.

Second, why one and not both? It's too dangerous in stop and go traffic to have both clipped in. I know of others who ride in Oz and London who do the same for the same reason.

And there is no efficiency gain when you are simply riding on the PCN.

Third, I've never been scratched up by my pedals.
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
Sounds dangerous

Cleats really only make sense if you are a roadie and you are on long stretches of road. They make no sense if you are a PCN rider. They make no sense if you are in heavy stop and go traffic on narrow roads. They make no sense if you are on trails - that's why you have studded pedals.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top