Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

weap0nx

Master Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2000
Messages
4,400
Reaction score
4
Gonna go tubeless on my mtb, I was wondering do you guys just run Stans yellow tape or do you run that and a rubber rim strip as well (Ghetto, Stans or Bontrager for eg)?

oh yah forgot to mention these are new rims no tape on them yet
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
Cause once you clip in, your knee can only do 1 type of rotation. If that rotation is incorrect and unnatural, you will damage your knee over time. You no longer have the freedom move your feet around the pedals.

Bwahahaha...
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
aiyo ppl spend $$ ma, their $$, if they buy to look pro then so be it lor

I've been using cleats for the past couple of months and no one has ever commented or looked at them.

Before the cleats, I was using folding pedals with brushed steel clips. You're not clipped in but the top of your toes will push upwards against the clips.

Now, those I got comments on since they're very classy looking and expensive - USD50 on special offer. :s12:

They look something like this but with only two bars, not three.

mj9357.jpg
 
Last edited:

Cryogenist

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
105
I've been using cleats for the past couple of months and no one has ever commented or looked at them.

Before the cleats, I was using folding pedals with brushed steel clips. You're not clipped in but the top of your toes will push upwards against the clips.

Now, those I got comments on since they're very classy looking and expensive - USD50 on special offer. :s12:

They look something like this but with only two bars, not three.

For me, it's quite the opposite. I have been using flats. People always ask me why I didn't go for clipless.
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,788
Reaction score
1,810
I've been using cleats for the past couple of months and no one has ever commented or looked at them.

Before the cleats, I was using folding pedals with brushed steel clips. You're not clipped in but the top of your toes will push upwards against the clips.

Now, those I got comments on since they're very classy looking and expensive - USD50 on special offer. :s12:

They look something like this but with only two bars, not three.

mj9357.jpg
those are toe clips, used them a long time ago...
 

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
8,220
Reaction score
65
ask the shop to set for you..

dont fix yourself , cause anyhow set up will damage your knees

Cause once you clip in, your knee can only do 1 type of rotation. If that rotation is incorrect and unnatural, you will damage your knee over time. You no longer have the freedom move your feet around the pedals.

Too much toe-in or toe-out can cause damage to your knees, cus your feet are pointed at an unnatural angle.

Wah! So scary, and here I am trying to go cleats... :eek:
 

wackymaus75

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2000
Messages
52,730
Reaction score
1
Wah! So scary, and here I am trying to go cleats... :eek:
choose a system that has more float ? or go for a system that does not lock in too tight like MTB cleats as opposed to road clips.
and a few rides aren't going to tear your knee caps apart, just as long as you do't push too hard, listen to your body and you will know if something is wrong
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
not that complicated nor dangerous la, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. if you feel any pain/discomfort/strain on your ankle and knee then readjust, but knee pain can also be due to your saddle height, so check that as well. if you riding on a constant cadence (70-90) or a high cadence, clipless is a way to go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top