Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,955
Reaction score
13,696
current ride. :o

IMG_20150922_131804.jpg
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
current ride. :o

IMG_20150922_131804.jpg

Mind listing the specs?

I am curious about the Birdy cuz the stock parts are kinda average, but I always see very fast Birdy bicycles zipping around.

Tempted to get a Birdy and sell my Brompton, but the Birdy folding is still not as elegant and compact as Brompton.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,635
Reaction score
3,487
Mind listing the specs?

I am curious about the Birdy cuz the stock parts are kinda average, but I always see very fast Birdy bicycles zipping around.

Tempted to get a Birdy and sell my Brompton, but the Birdy folding is still not as elegant and compact as Brompton.

I was doing research on which airlines carry bicycles foc and how to pack folding bicycles. Then found that the Brompton is small enuff to do a gate check.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
I was doing research on which airlines carry bicycles foc and how to pack folding bicycles. Then found that the Brompton is small enuff to do a gate check.

Thats the rationale for Bromtpon-designed dimensions.

The only 2 problems are that it is too heavy.

And more importantly, the Brompton gearing is very extreme. The gear increment, especially towards the higher gear, is shockingly huge.
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,955
Reaction score
13,696
Mind listing the specs?

I am curious about the Birdy cuz the stock parts are kinda average, but I always see very fast Birdy bicycles zipping around.

Tempted to get a Birdy and sell my Brompton, but the Birdy folding is still not as elegant and compact as Brompton.

Its the alivio 2015 model. changes are:

. bottom bracket changed with crank to ridea
. changed wheel to 20" 406 sunrise sr3d with schwalbe durano tires, with ridea hubs and xtr cassette.
. changed handlebar to crank brothers 30mm carbon riser bar.
. changed seatpost to litepro carbon seatpost.
. changed saddle to fabric scoop radius.

weight is now 9.3kg. :D

used to ride a brompton m6r, the birdy is indeed faster and easier to ride. but brompton folds more compact and is easier to fold.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,635
Reaction score
3,487
the guy is now thinking of swapping his parts for mine. My Dahon Speed P8 is pretty new. Rode it less than 10 times.

01. Shimano 105 RD
02. Shimano 105 FD
03. Tiagra 10 speed shifters
04. Shimano 105 C-brakes
05. Shimano 105 crank and dual chainrings 53/39T
06. Shimano 105 bottom bracket
07. Shimano 105 10 speed chain
08. Weinmann SEC16 451 rims with Kinetix hubs
09. Schwalbe Durano tires

Worth to do a swap?
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
04. Shimano 105 C-brakes
.
.
.

08. Weinmann SEC16 451 rims with Kinetix hubs


Worth to do a swap?

What's your front O.L.D? Can fit?

Can your frame accept 451 wheels?

When upgrading to 451 with caliper brakes, I think its important to visualize whether it will affect the folding.

Folding with C brakes on a Tern (which folds using N-fold) will cause some issues. This video was done by one of the Ternout members.



If you don't plan to have c brakes, you may need v-brake extension to extend your current v-brakes to grip the larger 451 rims.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,635
Reaction score
3,487
What's your front O.L.D? Can fit?

Can your frame accept 451 wheels?

When upgrading to 451 with caliper brakes, I think its important to visualize whether it will affect the folding.

Folding with C brakes on a Tern (which folds using N-fold) will cause some issues. This video was done by one of the Ternout members.


If you don't plan to have c brakes, you may need v-brake extension to extend your current v-brakes to grip the larger 451 rims.

My Speed P8 is stock.

I actually like the Marathon tire that I'm having now. Read reviews that it's better than the Durano. Well, the Marathon is for touring and that's what I'm going to do. Honestly I don't mind the swap ... but very reluctant to change the wheelset. Saves me money too.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
Its the alivio 2015 model. changes are:

. bottom bracket changed with crank to ridea
. changed wheel to 20" 406 sunrise sr3d with schwalbe durano tires, with ridea hubs and xtr cassette.
. changed handlebar to crank brothers 30mm carbon riser bar.
. changed seatpost to litepro carbon seatpost.
. changed saddle to fabric scoop radius.

weight is now 9.3kg. :D

used to ride a brompton m6r, the birdy is indeed faster and easier to ride. but brompton folds more compact and is easier to fold.

Very light and powerful bike. :s13:

Whats the gearing?
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
My Speed P8 is stock.

I actually like the Marathon tire that I'm having now. Read reviews that it's better than the Durano. Well, the Marathon is for touring and that's what I'm going to do. Honestly I don't mind the swap ... but very reluctant to change the wheelset. Saves me money too.

Then don't change the wheelset. 451 tyres are very limited and are narrow-based. There's no marathon or other fat tyres available for 451.

And since you are not going to change to 451 wheels, then there's no need for C brakes, so it shouldn't affect the folding.

Just change the basic groupset (FD, RD, shifters, crankset, chain, cassette) if you really need it.
 

NoLogicLah

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2011
Messages
11,050
Reaction score
210
Its the alivio 2015 model. changes are:

. bottom bracket changed with crank to ridea
. changed wheel to 20" 406 sunrise sr3d with schwalbe durano tires, with ridea hubs and xtr cassette.
. changed handlebar to crank brothers 30mm carbon riser bar.
. changed seatpost to litepro carbon seatpost.
. changed saddle to fabric scoop radius.

weight is now 9.3kg. :D

used to ride a brompton m6r, the birdy is indeed faster and easier to ride. but brompton folds more compact and is easier to fold.

Ur birdie hw muchie. I want to get 20" to ride with my frens.everytime take RB go meet them.like nt nice
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,955
Reaction score
13,696
Yeah. I am not talking about the number of gears.

I am talking about 53/9 top gear ratio. :D
oh yea. currently i'm comfortable with this gear ratio. if upgrade further i think i will change to xt 9 speed shifters and change the cables. but think won't upgrade for the time being since not much weight savings and shifting is not really essential.
 
Last edited:

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,955
Reaction score
13,696
I want disc version leh. Disc version seems fun :s13:

buy liao most likely i will upgrade all components to Ultegra 2 x 11 spd lolz

boh moolah leh.
birdy 2015 version all disc brakes liao, even the lowest spec model.

anyway, usually for foldies, road or mtb groupset better?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top