Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
8,220
Reaction score
65
choose a system that has more float ? or go for a system that does not lock in too tight like MTB cleats as opposed to road clips.
and a few rides aren't going to tear your knee caps apart, just as long as you do't push too hard, listen to your body and you will know if something is wrong



some nice tips here

Don't think too much. Just try if u want. So long your knees don't feel uncomfortable OK already.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT

not that complicated nor dangerous la, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. if you feel any pain/discomfort/strain on your ankle and knee then readjust, but knee pain can also be due to your saddle height, so check that as well. if you riding on a constant cadence (70-90) or a high cadence, clipless is a way to go.

wackymaus75, nzy90, VD, many thanks for your advice. I have a used Keo grey cleats now. I think that has a lot of float, correct?
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
according to Keo's website, grey cleat has 4.5 degree of float, the red has 9 degree of float. Actually what is important is that you are comfortable using the cleat. I use mtb cleat, which has almost zero float, so cannot comment on roadie cleat.
 

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
8,220
Reaction score
65
according to Keo's website, grey cleat has 4.5 degree of float, the red has 9 degree of float. Actually what is important is that you are comfortable using the cleat. I use mtb cleat, which has almost zero float, so cannot comment on roadie cleat.

Thanks, VD.
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,788
Reaction score
1,810
according to Keo's website, grey cleat has 4.5 degree of float, the red has 9 degree of float. Actually what is important is that you are comfortable using the cleat. I use mtb cleat, which has almost zero float, so cannot comment on roadie cleat.

Thanks, VD.

im actually using look keo zero degree float.

but like what wacky and vd pointed out, if youre feeling pain, might need to adjust it
 

TheoDR

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
60,917
Reaction score
18
Wah! So scary, and here I am trying to go cleats... :eek:

Don't worry, it's not scary... I've used cleats since the late 90s and never looked back. I've since often wondered how I ever managed to cycle properly without cleats. =:p
 

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
8,220
Reaction score
65
Don't worry, it's not scary... I've used cleats since the late 90s and never looked back. I've since often wondered how I ever managed to cycle properly without cleats. =:p

Noted, TheoDR. Is the main advantage of cleat is that one can pull up on the pedals, thus giving a more efficient power transfer?
 

TheoDR

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
60,917
Reaction score
18
Noted, TheoDR. Is the main advantage of cleat is that one can pull up on the pedals, thus giving a more efficient power transfer?

Yup, one is pulling up, the other is, for me, probably keeping your feet from bouncing off the pedals while pedaling on rough ground. :D
 

Kitaro9202

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
43,775
Reaction score
1,860
any shop to change handle bar grip around bishan tpy area?

my mtb the handle bar grip damn sticky
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,788
Reaction score
1,810
not that complicated nor dangerous la, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. if you feel any pain/discomfort/strain on your ankle and knee then readjust, but knee pain can also be due to your saddle height, so check that as well. if you riding on a constant cadence (70-90) or a high cadence, clipless is a way to go.

I have a friend, his knee was injured from riding, used cleats and then still hurt when he didnt use them,tried everything from lowering seat to changing he quit cycling sold off everything now do running
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
I have a friend, his knee was injured from riding, used cleats and then still hurt when he didnt use them,tried everything from lowering seat to changing he quit cycling sold off everything now do running

running will aggravate the injury more.. shld try swimming, low impact.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,868
Reaction score
3,141
I have a friend, his knee was injured from riding, used cleats and then still hurt when he didnt use them,tried everything from lowering seat to changing he quit cycling sold off everything now do running

I have leg pain from jogging... that's why I switch to cycling.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,868
Reaction score
3,141
I have a friend, his knee was injured from riding, used cleats and then still hurt when he didnt use them,tried everything from lowering seat to changing he quit cycling sold off everything now do running

He should go for bike fitting as the last resort before quitting.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,868
Reaction score
3,141
any shop to change handle bar grip around bishan tpy area?

my mtb the handle bar grip damn sticky

Should be straightforward to change. You can always buy online and fit yourself.

If you really can't decide, maybe you go Chapter 2 Cycle aka C2C at AMK. Friendly mechanics and the pricing is pretty reasonable.
 

-nzy90

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
6,606
Reaction score
4
I have a friend, his knee was injured from riding, used cleats and then still hurt when he didnt use them,tried everything from lowering seat to changing he quit cycling sold off everything now do running
I always thought running is worse. I ran alot as a child but my knees started feeling pain. Diagnosed with arthritis. Doctor said running not good for knees. Asked me to take up cycling or swimming as these have alot less impact than running.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT
 

Jay Bee

Banned
Joined
Jan 31, 2013
Messages
43,120
Reaction score
2
I have leg pain from jogging... that's why I switch to cycling.

same here, my sole and ankle always hurts, i seek tips from running experts who advised that my strides are too big, and recommended a shorter stride higher cadence running technique, but jin slow :(:(:(

bicycle can set high gearing and cycle 40rpm lolx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top