Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,950
Reaction score
13,694
Sometimes it is a long road before traffic light. Would u stop or lift bicycle to pavement? I sometimes do that when i am not confident. Sbs bus I'm ok because they will spare a tot for cyclists. But those Malaysia tour buses and trucks are terrible

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT
if those one lane road, i usually will assess the situation, if see the other side no traffic then i wave the lorry on to overtake by cutting a bit into the opp direction lane. if both ways also heavy traffic, i usually will stop by the curb let them pass or cycle on the pavement. its quite pai seh to hold up the traffic. :o
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
i usually will stop by the curb let them pass or cycle on the pavement. its quite pai seh to hold up the traffic. :o

If I was the driver behind you I would curse you out; you are doing something that no other cyclists do (AFAIK) and I still have to slow down and move around you. :s22:
 

Nemesismaster

Master Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2011
Messages
3,811
Reaction score
64
if those one lane road, i usually will assess the situation, if see the other side no traffic then i wave the lorry on to overtake by cutting a bit into the opp direction lane. if both ways also heavy traffic, i usually will stop by the curb let them pass or cycle on the pavement. its quite pai seh to hold up the traffic. :o


Then u be the steel sandwich of 2 way traffic. I prefer to occupy further out but not really at the center of my own lane , let the lorry behind see and decide himself of the opposite lane clearance to cut me.
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,950
Reaction score
13,694
If I was the driver behind you I would curse you out; you are doing something that no other cyclists do (AFAIK) and I still have to slow down and move around you. :s22:

I would rather let pple curse me than try to race a tipper truck. you would race a tipper truck in this situation? :s22:
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,950
Reaction score
13,694
Then u be the steel sandwich of 2 way traffic. I prefer to occupy further out but not really at the center of my own lane , let the lorry behind see and decide himself of the opposite lane clearance to cut me.

usually in such situation I would just ride on the pavement. ride out I feel is more dangerous leh, wait the truck overtake halfway then opposite got car come, he sure swerve in, if suay you at his side, become minced meat.
 

-nzy90

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
6,606
Reaction score
4
if those one lane road, i usually will assess the situation, if see the other side no traffic then i wave the lorry on to overtake by cutting a bit into the opp direction lane. if both ways also heavy traffic, i usually will stop by the curb let them pass or cycle on the pavement. its quite pai seh to hold up the traffic. :o
For me, I'll just move further out towards middle of the lane if I feel unsafe. At least got space for me to swerve in if a heavy vehicle overtake very close to me.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
Any idea if Tyrell FX will be too small for a 6ft tall rider?

I have a few friends around that height riding FX, otherwise, you can consider the CSI series, 451 wheelset. In the end, still wise to do a test ride if you interested. You need to feel the fit, but of cos some things can be adjusted, but minor stuff like (stem head, crank arm, handle bar height, seat post & etc)
 
Last edited:

Jay Bee

Banned
Joined
Jan 31, 2013
Messages
43,120
Reaction score
2
if its a 2way single lane road, like old tampines rd, i will stick to the side, since the single lane is actually very wide...

if its those super narrow types, i will eat entire lane. got car behind, then i shift in if can, else they sian liao, this forces them to notice me and slow down 1st.

i rather get ram directly from behind, than a side swipe
 
Last edited:

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
I would rather let pple curse me than try to race a tipper truck. you would race a tipper truck in this situation? :s22:

You actually want to stop in front of a tipper truck whose driver may not be a) paying attention or b) not expecting you to stop? :s22:
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,950
Reaction score
13,694
You actually want to stop in front of a tipper truck whose driver may not be a) paying attention or b) not expecting you to stop? :s22:

of course I wont be jam braking in the middle of the road lah. I would signal my intention by slowing down to the side, and ride until so slow he passes then stop and bring the bike up to whatever off-road area is available and let whatever traffic chain behind to clear and a gap appears before going on.

but usually in such situations where there is heavy traffic and the lane is narrow, I would just ride on the pavement altogether. no point having a big ego because cyclists always lose out even when we are right.
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,200
Reaction score
3,677
of course I wont be jam braking in the middle of the road lah. I would signal my intention by slowing down to the side, and ride until so slow he passes then stop and bring the bike up to whatever off-road area is available and let whatever traffic chain behind to clear and a gap appears before going on.

but usually in such situations where there is heavy traffic and the lane is narrow, I would just ride on the pavement altogether. no point having a big ego because cyclists always lose out even when we are right.
Only mtb and foldie got such flexibility. Road bikers usually just risk for the speed and convenience

Sent from Asus P024 using GAGT
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,200
Reaction score
3,677
9eid04yl.jpg


My 3rd bike

Sent from Asus P024 using GAGT
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top