As most of you are aware, my Crius Master D foldie specs are: 52t chainring, 9 speed 11t - 32t cassette, Alivio shifter (mtb) and Sora rd (road).
Please help me to analyse my upgrade options with the most effective, worthy or value for money factors:
1. 9 speed cassette remains. Change to 105 9 speed rd and road bike flat bar 9 speed trigger shifter.
2. 9 speed cassette remains. Change to 10 speed Shimano Zee rd and any SRAM 9 speed trigger shifter. This combination is said to work well, based on online discussions. However, I have no idea whether it is working perfectly or flawless. Considering Zee because it is low profile, silent, crisp, cheaper than Shimano Saint and can use mtb trigger shifters, but it can only be used with single chainring (although I am unlikely to upgrade to 2 chainrings for foldie).
3. Change to 10 speed 11t - 32t cassette, 105 or Zee 10 speed shifter, with compatible trigger shifters. This upgrade is very costly and will waste an almost new 9 speed cassette and chain on top of rd and shifters. I am also not so sure whether I need closer ratios. Perhaps good to have.
4. Go to the extreme and change to internal gear hub. Save all my headaches and fulfil my dream, but should be the most expensive. Not sure about the weight factor though.
Last but not least, I have no idea of the prices for most of these components. Taking CRC as a reference does not reflect real prices at lbs. Importing them from CRC + courier fee + lbs installation fee may end up paying close to the prices charged by lbs, and I have to bear any shipping risks or mistakes made at selection of components. If getting from lbs, I have to ask many shops to compare prices. All these takes time and have to bring my bike there to let them see. I also not sure whether these lbs are trustworthy in terms of pricing, skills and knowledge. Dilemma.
change everything to 105 10 speed with mtb trigger shifters and yes, you should get the lbs to do the upgrades for you, save you the pain and headache and not forgetting the right tools for the job.. you also probably pay 30-40% more
(I personally wouldn't pay the lbs to do it though). But since you have just gotten the bike (Assuming) you should ride more before deciding whether it is worth to upgrade. Would getting a better bike be a happier solution. If you are committed and determined to cycle then getting a better bike is sometimes a better option than to upgrade the components. You should also consider upgrading things like BB, wheelset, tyres to improve your ride.
